Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power - AP or NP, short course
Quote | Reply
Just a quick question guys - When comparing power files on short course racing (sprints and less), as an indicator of speed or 'how you went' generally speaking, would you be better taking into account average power or normalized power?
I understand for long course you want to keep them as close as possible as a matter of minimizing the damage from spikes so you can run and not burn your matches. However when I compare data on sprint races, even on the same course, I often find my NP can be off by 10 watts or so, yet average power often remains very very similar- I'd often get bummed if my NP was quite a bit less when comparing races, at the same venue in particular. Am I wrong in beating myself up if AP remains stable and ignore NP somewhat?
Quote Reply
Re: Power - AP or NP, short course [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your wrong in focusing on AP and NP instead of performance ;) do they give prices to the best AP/NP??

;)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Power - AP or NP, short course [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha trust you! you know I'm a numbers man, to my detriment
some days id like to just take the garmin off completely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahah....i could not resist!!!!

both data can be helpful in short course. while you definitely dont want to aim at a big delta AP/NP....the nature of the course you do with those 180s and acceleration back to full speed will give bigger variation than long course.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Power - AP or NP, short course [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so in effect, a lower np, but same same ap, would actually be better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless its flat race mine are normal different by 7-10w on most courses. I stopped chancing numbers this when going downhill (just tuck and go vs peddling through the downhill) and then push the uphills a little more, affects NP and AP but leads to less energy expense i think.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Oct 9, 17 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Power - AP or NP, short course [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I'm finding- my np this year is actually down on a few practice duathlons- but my ap is the same. Normally I would be about 235+np and an average of 222ap. But this season, it's early, but I'm seeing stuff like 228np and 222ap. I'm just wondering if I'm sucking a bit more or I'm just minimising spikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
This is what I'm finding- my np this year is actually down on a few practice duathlons- but my ap is the same. Normally I would be about 235+np and an average of 222ap. But this season, it's early, but I'm seeing stuff like 228np and 222ap. I'm just wondering if I'm sucking a bit more or I'm just minimising spikes

Well thats good right? If avg power is same but NP is down you just riding a bit smoother right?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply