Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know, there are a thousand and one threads already about power meters. I’ve read through a lot of them, and DCRainmaker’s posts and other reviews. I’ve narrowed down my choices to Power2Max or the single Garmin Vector S (...or waiting til Spring?). Wondering if anyone has any specific input into either, or if others went through the same decision. I have Rotor 3DF cranks (stock 2014 Cervelo P3). There are some great Black Friday deals going on now which may cause me to pull the trigger, or maybe wait until the Spring when new units come out or prices are possibly cheaper.

P2M (Type S)
-Seems to “just work” per DCRainmaker and have read good reviews all around
-Would get the Type S since the Classic is sold out
-$200 more expensive than Garmin Vector S
-Power on both legs with left vs. right estimates
-Can’t upgrade firmware

Garmin Vector S
-$200 cheaper than P2M Type S
-Portability between bikes
-Seems a little more finicky for some reason. I’ve read about people having issues with these yet I haven’t really read much about P2M problems.
-Only single leg power
-Seems like there’s more data metrics with Garmin’s “Cycling Dynamics” per DCRainmaker’s review (although some of this may only work with the dual pedals and not the Vector S)
-Can upgrade firmware
-I already use Look Keo pedals and would be easy to switch

Waiting
-4iiii looks promising but doesn’t seem to work with my Rotor 3DF crank
-Possibility of future price declines. I don’t really need a power meter NOW – I’ve been training through the winter with TrainerRoad virtual power – it would be more to take advantage of Black Friday sales if they’re cheaper now. I will want one by the spring when I am in full training mode.

I welcome all thoughts. Thanks all!!
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not interested in L only solutions.

I don't care for the idea of waiting until spring, that's a lot of wasted time between now and then. You could be gathering data, adjusting your training, all winter.

I would get the P2M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2M + Black Friday coupon = win
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have the right cranks, power2max can be moved way faster than the Garmin pedals, and you don't need to second guess the install. I can swap mine in under 2 minutes. It is a single 8mm bolt. Garmin products are generally not built to last (they do have good customer service, but I would rather not know a company's return policy). When you crash, hitting pedals is almost a guarantee, but a crank set is much more protected. Also if you ride in nasty weather, pedals are debris traps, which is never good for electronics.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When you crash, hitting pedals is almost a guarantee

I have crashed with Garmin Vectors and nothing was harmed so this is not true.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:

+1

I don't think all of the P2max Classic models are sold out, only certain variations?
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Quote:
When you crash, hitting pedals is almost a guarantee

I have crashed with Garmin Vectors and nothing was harmed so this is not true.

almost guarantee =/= inevitable.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was merely arguing semantics. Writing off the Vectors because they are pedals is silly in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. James do you have the Vector S or dual? I take it you are happy with them? So far the dominating response seems to be P2M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Vectors (dual) and they work fine. There was some growing pain but I'm happy with them. The installation process for the Vectors doesn't make switching them from bike to bike any easier though. I was on the fence between Vectors, Quarq, and P2M. My local bike shop was giving a great deal on them at the time and was hard to pass up. I would go with whatever one you can get for a better deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switching pedals may be harder than the power2max crank, since you need a torque wrench. Not to mention the fact that left-only power seems pointless.

Quote | Reply
I am in a similar boat. But have not ruled out stages or powertap yet!

Just got Kickr so I have power for the winter. Going to wait another 3-4 months to see what shakes down... I want a tri bike + wheels + PM in the spring, so want to make sure they are all compatible (and ideally want a way to move PM to road bike when needed, but may not get that wish)
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [ChevyTri27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chevy that's just the sort of feedback I was looking for. I can get good deals on both now, but the P2M still comes out to around $200 more expensive than the Vector S. I don't feel like paying up for the dual Vectors as that would be even more. Do you think it's worth the $200 to go from Vector S to P2M?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to highjack the thread but i was looking at the P2M too with the black friday deals. I currently have a shimano 10 speed ultegra crank, Felt DA bike, I am not 100% sure which P2M i can get, i wanted 165 mm cranks. Can anybody help out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be very impressed when you find a way to crash and damage a crank before damaging the pedals. Not suggesting he write them off, just pointing out that pedals are a) more likely to get impacted during a crash b) they are going to get dirty, wet, etc during foul weather c) it takes one bolt to swap them (w/o the install torque impacting the power # readings) d) Garmin makes some jankey hardware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the dual. I am very happy with them. I would purchase them in equal priority with a Quarq, personally. I would not get left-hand only power (again, personally) as the whole point is consistent (and accurate), trustworthy data.

ETA, I've also had Quarq (have one on P5 currently). I can swap the Vectors as fast as I can swap my Quarq (<5 minutes). It's not hard.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Nov 25, 14 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
I will be very impressed when you find a way to crash and damage a crank before damaging the pedals. Not suggesting he write them off, just pointing out that pedals are a) more likely to get impacted during a crash b) they are going to get dirty, wet, etc during foul weather c) it takes one bolt to swap them (w/o the install torque impacting the power # readings) d) Garmin makes some jankey hardware.

As a general rule, I've found that when people note the above, they don't actually have Vector nor have used it. I've yet to hear of anyone breaking the pedals. Pedal pods by installation? Sure, though that was addressed in recent hardware changes and they'll swap out broken pods for free anyway no questions asked. Actually, they're basically swapping any hardware you manage to break for pretty much any reason unless you throw it in front of a train and then light it on fire afterwards.

That said, as far as deals go, you can't beat the Power2Max deals right now from a crank perspective that doesn't impact wheel choice. Also, per OP's question on Cycling Dynamics, that will indeed only be the dual-sensor Vector, not Vector S.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [runobx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy on the power2max thread should be able to answer that. Plus they have compatibility listed for each crank on their website. You just gotta figure out what bottom bracket you have.

Quote | Reply
Agreed, Garmin is very good about replacing their broken hardware. But how is that better than never having to deal with it in the first place, even if it is "free w/no questions asked"? If you are racing a crit or technical TT situation, crashing is not an if, but when. What about "skipped" pedals? And that's not even considering the battle damage from questionable mounts or transition incidents for the people who have not yet got the rubber band-your-shoes memo yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:

+1

I don't think all of the P2max Classic models are sold out, only certain variations?

+2
If you do decide to wait, I'd strongly recommend using Virtual Power via TrainerRoad as a substitute this winter. I think you will get get lots of good data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, have you used the Vectors?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is awesome, really appreciate all the input (even from the man, the myth, the legend, DCRainmaker himself). Sounds like the takeaways are

Garmin Vector
-Probably not worth getting just the single leg pedal
-They're not as bad as people who don't have them think they are
-They're not as easy to swap with different bikes as initially thought
-Garmin has been very good at providing free replacement of broken parts (this is also true from my experience with various Garmin Forerunners. Obviously you'd rather not have to deal with this in the first place, but it is good to know that Garmin stands by their products.)

P2M
-Black Friday is a great deal
-Installation isn't as difficult as previously thought
-Probably worth $200 more than the single Vector S. If I wanted to pay more for the dual Vector, maybe that would be a better option, but I don't want to pay that much.

So I think that given I don't want to spend as much for the dual Vectors (and it goes without saying I want the flexibility to change wheels so I eliminated Powertap), P2M seems like the way to go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wahoowatri wrote:
This thread is awesome, really appreciate all the input (even from the man, the myth, the legend, DCRainmaker himself). Sounds like the takeaways are

Garmin Vector
-Probably not worth getting just the single leg pedal
-They're not as bad as people who don't have them think they are
-They're not as easy to swap with different bikes as initially thought
-Garmin has been very good at providing free replacement of broken parts (this is also true from my experience with various Garmin Forerunners. Obviously you'd rather not have to deal with this in the first place, but it is good to know that Garmin stands by their products.)

P2M
-Black Friday is a great deal
-Installation isn't as difficult as previously thought
-Probably worth $200 more than the single Vector S. If I wanted to pay more for the dual Vector, maybe that would be a better option, but I don't want to pay that much.

So I think that given I don't want to spend as much for the dual Vectors (and it goes without saying I want the flexibility to change wheels so I eliminated Powertap), P2M seems like the way to go...

Dual Vectors can be had for <$1200 right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it helps, I have warrantied a P2M and got a replacement with NQA. They have been very good to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checking...you do know that you can upgrade from the Garmin S (single pedal) to the full kit, right? There is no price break for buying them all at once. If you do get the Garmin S now, save that $200, then skip a couple fancy dinners/bar nights and soon enough you can buy the right pedal.

Check out DCR's video on swapping the vectors. Even though he forgot a couple steps and had to go back, it was still only 6 minutes. Sure, the guy above can swap a crank in 2 minutes, but I bet if he had as much practice swapping vectors as cranks, he could beat DCR's time by at least a minute or two. Swappabilty between bikes seems about as easy, but being pedals...compatibility is almost assured!
Quote Reply

Prev Next