Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power2Max price drop
Quote | Reply
FYI I saw on DCRainmaker this morning that Power2Max dropped the price on their Type S (latest gen) powermeter to $610 WITH FSA Gossamer crankset. This is pretty great deal, and you can add Praxis chainrings for another $100. I have a classic model that I have used for over a year now and it has had zero problems. Not one dropout, no issues with calibration or shifting power readings as far as I can detect.

I am sure with Eurobike and Interbike there will be some hot new powermeters being announced, but this company has been around for a few years now and really has a solid and proven product.

Just something to keep in mind if you are powermeter shopping.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, some substantial drops on the Type S! Now you can get it with the Rotor cranks for $780, cheaper than it was with the Gossamers before. They haven't said anything to me about a new product, and it doesn't appear they are introducing anything new at Eurobike, so I'm not sure what brought on the price drop. It will be interesting to see if any other companies will follow accordingly. I love the PM war!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Yeah, some substantial drops on the Type S! Now you can get it with the Rotor cranks for $780, cheaper than it was with the Gossamers before. They haven't said anything to me about a new product, and it doesn't appear they are introducing anything new at Eurobike, so I'm not sure what brought on the price drop. It will be interesting to see if any other companies will follow accordingly. I love the PM war!

They are certainly going to be killing Stages at this pricepoint, especially since you are getting a full crankset and two-leg power at that price. I paid quite a bit more a year ago for the P2M Classic on a Rotor crankset, and I am just so pleased with it. I am thinking about a Type-S with Rotor or FSA K-Force Light crankarms.

The only thing they could really add to improve the product would be Bluetooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what I am going to buy yet but this latest shot in the price war pretty much assures that I am going to have a power meter soon!

Who would have thought a year or we'd have so many quality choices the $700 -$800 range.

And for all the bitching folks do about Stages, they are going to have to drop their price a bit too soon and when you are looking at single side power for around what you willing paid for a Garmin just to know how fast you were going, it doesn't sound so bad ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rarely ever does my procrastination work out, but it did in this case. I almost ordered a Type S last week.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Rarely ever does my procrastination work out, but it did in this case. I almost ordered a Type S last week.

I picked up a classic gossamer for $500 a couple weeks ago. Still feel it's a steal for a crank meter, and they claim the accuracy is the same for the classic or type S, so I'm not too bummed to not get the newer one. Plus there's the advantage of being able to replace the battery without removing the crank on the classic. One thing I have noticed is that it is reading about 15W lower than my powerbeam. Not sure if that's an offset error in the powerbeam cal or the P2M cal, but it's at least consistent, so I can manage that.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as an aside, you shouldn't have to remove the crank to change the battery on the Type S. You just have to have it rotated to the right place. It's certainly not as handy as the Classic's cover, but it does make for a tidy package.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will if you have a huge bottom bracket shell. On my Shiv you most certainly do need to remove the crank to change it out, but its an annoyance maybe once or twice a year. Well worth the headache for what you get for the price. I dig my Power2Max, even though I bought it before any of the price drops. It just works.
Travis R wrote:
Just as an aside, you shouldn't have to remove the crank to change the battery on the Type S. You just have to have it rotated to the right place. It's certainly not as handy as the Classic's cover, but it does make for a tidy package.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [RyuTan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any way to get a P2M attached to a Ultegra 6800 crank?
Last edited by: acco: Aug 28, 15 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [RyuTan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RyuTan wrote:
You will if you have a huge bottom bracket shell. On my Shiv you most certainly do need to remove the crank to change it out, but its an annoyance maybe once or twice a year. Well worth the headache for what you get for the price. I dig my Power2Max, even though I bought it before any of the price drops. It just works.
Travis R wrote:

I stand corrected. Thank you - I hadn't run into that yet with any of the installs I've done. Haven't done a Shiv with the Type S yet.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how does this product work?

If I already have a shimano 105 crank on my bike (110BCD) can I use the current rings with this crank? And does this crank work with my BB (2009 Transition)
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
So how does this product work?

If I already have a shimano 105 crank on my bike (110BCD) can I use the current rings with this crank? And does this crank work with my BB (2009 Transition)

It only works with cranks that have a removable spider. Shimano cranks have the spider as part of the crank arm. So it will not work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So If I wanted this for my Tranistion would I need to purchase a new BB, new rings, and the unit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
So If I wanted this for my Tranistion would I need to purchase a new BB, new rings, and the unit?

No, you can get a crankset that is compatible with your existing bottom bracket. it appears the Transition uses BB30, so the Rotor 3D 30 would work, or you could do the FSA K-Force Light BB386EVO, or there is also a FSA Gossamer BB386EVO option.

I am not 100% sure on this, I dont work much with BB30, but any of their options that list BB30 compatibility will work. As long as your Transition really is BB30, that would be the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I can not use my Ultegra crank, but I can use the chain rings correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max price drop [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I know I can not use my Ultegra crank, but I can use the chain rings correct?

Yes, as long as they will fit the bolt pattern of the new crank.

However, P2M offers Praxis chainrings as a $100USD option when buying a crankset from them. These are awesome chainrings and a pretty good discount off of retail on those rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if that is the case I am still better off waiting for the Powertap C1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's somewhat dependent on what model 105 you're running, and which P2M crank you choose. If you want the cheapest option, and you have a standard 5-bolt 110 BCD 105 crank, you just need to buy the new P2M crank. Swap the rings from your 105, and leave the BB in place, it'll work with the gossamer standard (don't get the BB30). I'm running an Ultegra BB with my Gossamer classic and it's perfect. Popped on some old compact rings I had lying around and everything works flawlessly. I went 110 BCD so I could swap it out between road, TT and cross bikes depending on the season. If you're planning to do something similar and swap chainrings, the Type S may be a better option than the classic, as due to the battery housing on the classic, you actually have to remove the spider from the crank arms to install the outer ring. That adds about 3 min, but a bit of hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
That's somewhat dependent on what model 105 you're running, and which P2M crank you choose. If you want the cheapest option, and you have a standard 5-bolt 110 BCD 105 crank, you just need to buy the new P2M crank. Swap the rings from your 105, and leave the BB in place, it'll work with the gossamer standard (don't get the BB30). I'm running an Ultegra BB with my Gossamer classic and it's perfect. Popped on some old compact rings I had lying around and everything works flawlessly. I went 110 BCD so I could swap it out between road, TT and cross bikes depending on the season. If you're planning to do something similar and swap chainrings, the Type S may be a better option than the classic, as due to the battery housing on the classic, you actually have to remove the spider from the crank arms to install the outer ring. That adds about 3 min, but a bit of hassle.

Doesn't the Transition use BB30?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it does
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but Shimano hasn't made a crank with 30mm spindle that I'm aware of (at least not as of the x800 series - I don't know about the current DA). So if s/he is running a 105 crank, then there's some sort of press-fit adapter already installed for the 24mm spindle on those cranks. As such, since the Gossamer uses the Shimano standard, it's a simple crank swap without touching the BB. All that's needed is to buy the standard Mega-Exo crank and swap over the chainrings, assuming those are not of the new 4-bolt design. No need to touch the BB, outside of maybe installing a couple spacers/washers - I didn't need to do this with mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
Yes, but Shimano hasn't made a crank with 30mm spindle that I'm aware of (at least not as of the x800 series - I don't know about the current DA). So if s/he is running a 105 crank, then there's some sort of press-fit adapter already installed for the 24mm spindle on those cranks. As such, since the Gossamer uses the Shimano standard, it's a simple crank swap without touching the BB. All that's needed is to buy the standard Mega-Exo crank and swap over the chainrings, assuming those are not of the new 4-bolt design. No need to touch the BB, outside of maybe installing a couple spacers/washers - I didn't need to do this with mine.

Ah I missed the 105 crank. Sorry. Yeah you are right. The regular Gossamer would be fine, or the Rotor 3D as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...hainset/rp-prod50444

This is my current crank.

Yeah just get the regular Gossamer with Type-S pre-installed and swap over your chain rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's good to go with the P2M compact, then. You can choose the FSA Gossamer or K-Force, or the Rotor 3D (either Classic or Type S) to work with your current BB. All it would require is pulling off your chainrings from the 105 crank and installing on the P2M spider, bolting the P2M spider to the new crank arms, and installing in your frame. If you're lucky, you may not even need to adjust the FD (but if you do it shouldn't be more than a simple limit screw adjustment in or out - the height ought to be good if you're not changing chainring sizes).
Quote Reply

Prev Next