Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks
Quote | Reply
Read about over on DCR's blog. Seems pretty great at first blush. Battery cover could be a potential issue....
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Read about over on DCR's blog. Seems pretty great at first blush. Battery cover could be a potential issue....

I think its 490 Euros.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I think its 490 Euros.

According to DCR the price is the same number whether you're paying Euros or Dollars.
Last edited by: bufordt: Aug 21, 17 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I think its 490 Euros.

Thats with an FSA Gossamer crankset, which is pretty bottom of the line stuff, those cranks can be found on ebay for under 100...
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$640 with Rotor 3D24 cranks is an absolute STEAL.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to pick up a used powertap for my trainer bike... but now it seems stupid not to buy a new FSA p2m instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently pulled the trigger on the summer sale for a Type S with Rotor 3D+. Wondering if I should cancel that order or not (still shows my order processing).

Having a free spider tool and free chainrings for the sale is nice but not necessary for me. It'd be a wash in price as while seeing left right balance is nice on an Elsa I have but I don't do anything with the data except glance at it. Seems to me the 3D+ version would be $780 based on their current pricing structure. Although I wouldn't mind using the 3D version instead and save a few bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cranks and the spider are quite good, the issue is with the rings. If you can replace them with something like Praxis rings, for $600 you get a very bitching PM.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the review this morning. Looks pretty good and the price is right!

I hope PowerTap (local company to me) will follow suit with something. At the moment I still love my C1 chainrings I grabbed for $550 a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I read the review this morning. Looks pretty good and the price is right!

I hope PowerTap (local company to me) will follow suit with something. At the moment I still love my C1 chainrings I grabbed for $550 a few years ago.

That NG Eco is one heck of a deal. But, I hear you on Powertap. I'm curious where they're headed. Here's what I'd hope to see from PT:

Bring the price down on their pedals lighten them up a good deal, which could be accomplished mostly with better battery choice. If those pedals had Dura-ace/Look Max level performance at low weight and a sub $600 price tag, that would be amazing.

And then hubs. I'm still on GS hubs. I mean, it's a DT Swiss 240s hub at very low weight and the price with powermeter is less than msrp of the 240s with no powermeter. They were clearing it out at $300. If they could keep that partnership with DT Swiss, get the hub a tad smaller and lighter and the price to $250..... well, I know I'd be into it, but I guess I don't see people tearing down the pre-built Zipps and Enves to place this hub in their wheel, and I don't see Zipp and Enve working out a deal with Powertap to create shells to house Powertap internals, but I like the idea, though I know I'm in the minority. I just like freeing up my crank and pedals.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Bring the price down on their pedals lighten them up a good deal, which could be accomplished mostly with better battery choice. If those pedals had Dura-ace/Look Max level performance at low weight and a sub $600 price tag, that would be amazing.

100% agree with you on the p1s. I never got into the hub-based system because I've always had 2-3 wheels at a time (race disc/bombproof training Mavic/indoor) and it's just not a good match for me.

With the R&D PowerTap put into the C1, I hope they make a spider PM at some point as well. It's unfortunate that Shimano switched from a five-arm spider to a four-arm literally right when the C1 was introduced. Luckily, I picked up a 165mm 105 crank with the C1 that fit my needs at a great price.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

100% agree with you on the p1s. I never got into the hub-based system because I've always had 2-3 wheels at a time (race disc/bombproof training Mavic/indoor) and it's just not a good match for me.

With the R&D PowerTap put into the C1, I hope they make a spider PM at some point as well. It's unfortunate that Shimano switched from a five-arm spider to a four-arm literally right when the C1 was introduced. Luckily, I picked up a 165mm 105 crank with the C1 that fit my needs at a great price.

I'd love to see Saris/Powertap pull a Tacx and jump out in front of the industry. I never liked Tacx virtual trainers or the gel-roller for wheel-attached trainers. But now I'm on a Neo and it's just amazing.

I loved the Powertap Powerbeam Pro when it came out. It was a legitimate Computrainer-killer. I got one and then later managed a computrainer studio and the Powerbeam was just better. The Hammer did a good job of matching the Kickr (which I also love, and I have much love for Wahoo in general - I just hope they create a Neo killer, as in sub $1.2k silent trainer with 1% accuracy), but the Hammer did not jump out in front of the competition.

For the jump-out-in-front strategy to work, I think it's going to have to be pedal-based and it needs to be so far ahead that it prevents Garmin from squashing them like a bug when new Vector pedals are released.

back to the Hammer, Kickr discussion two paragraphs above, I'd like to see a Neo quality trainer at $600. How? no built in powermeter; the unit uses your existing powermeter.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

That NG Eco is one heck of a deal. But, I hear you on Powertap. I'm curious where they're headed. Here's what I'd hope to see from PT:

The new Favero Assioma pedals are getting close. Priced at $469 for single side, or $759 for dual side. Mass, with battery, only ~20 grams more than Look Keo Max's.

PT needs to iterate and bring pricing down soon or they're in danger of being left behind. They still own the hub market, but that segment seems less important now with new affordable crank- and pedal-based power meters popping up every few months.

The reliable, accurate-enough, $299 dual-side power solution that doesn't require wheel building skills is where the market is headed, and fast.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 21, 17 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever heard of the C1 power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Have you ever heard of the C1 power meter?

Not a bad idea, but compatibility issues are substantial and growing. Can't use it with any recent Shimano or SRAM crankset. Even FSA is migrating to a 4-bolt pattern. And it's not really the price bargain it once was. This new Power2Max can be had for $589 with cranks and Praxis chainrings. THAT has much broader applicability.

Powertap website currently shows no stock of C1's. Just a lull between production runs, or a sign that the product, at least in its current form, is on the way out? If so, will they bother revising it? Or, maybe, having been bit by the whims of the crankset designers, it's an idea they're content to let go to the dustbin.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 21, 17 20:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

How can you verify that it is accurate to within 2% of the "real value"??? How can you verify the accuracy of any power meter??? It seems to me you'd need some semi-serious electrical power equipment.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any dates on availability to the masses?
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [496er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
496er wrote:
Any dates on availability to the masses?

Supposedly after Eurobike, e.g. September
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

How can you verify that it is accurate to within 2% of the "real value"??? How can you verify the accuracy of any power meter??? It seems to me you'd need some semi-serious electrical power equipment.

Nope! :)

Pretty simple protocol: weigh yourself and your bike as precisely as you can, find the steepest hill you can (the steeper the better) and start climbing the hill from a dead stop at the bottom of the hill. The resulting "work" from that run will produce a virtual elevation. Compare that to the actual elevation change of said hill to get an idea of how accurate your power meter is. Surprisingly, GCN has the best explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqb-WhzCAgw

There are other protocols as well: http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/...eterCalibration.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought and installed another Type S last week. Kind of a kick in the tail, but I suppose I would be pretty happy with that choice had the ECO not been announced this week. Thus, I will remain happy with my choice. I have never had a problem with Rotor cranks and Power2max meters and they are literally on every one of my bikes except the mt bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going to keep my order. Bluetooth isn't something I need in a PM right now anyways and whenever my Elsa calls it quits and Quarq doesn't want to fix/replace it for a reasonable amount I'll probably just buy a new NG Eco spider to replace it then (since my arms on the Elsa are Force22 3 bolt versions). About the same as or potentially a little cheaper replacement than a Quarq replacement special from what I've seen others post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Pretty simple protocol: weigh yourself and your bike as precisely as you can, find the steepest hill you can (the steeper the better) and start climbing the hill from a dead stop at the bottom of the hill. The resulting "work" from that run will produce a virtual elevation. Compare that to the actual elevation change of said hill to get an idea of how accurate your power meter is. Surprisingly, GCN has the best explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqb-WhzCAgw

There are other protocols as well: http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/...eterCalibration.aspx

It sure would be nice if all PMs allowed for static torque calibration/checking :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max's New NG Eco: 2% Accuracy, $490 With Cranks [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Seems to me the 3D+ version would be $780 based on their current pricing structure. Although I wouldn't mind using the 3D version instead and save a few bucks.
There is a small weight difference between 3D+ and 3D 30 crank arms. Something in the region of 20g.
First one is 100% CNC apparently in Spain, the 3D is forged and CNC in Taiwan.
Additional weigh difference may come from their spiders, one is CNC other forged. But this is out of equation using P2Max spider.
Been on S type for 2.5 years, flawless, very happy.

540$/eur for S or 490$/eur for NGeco....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a great deal and the price is getting closer to my comfort level... might have grab an ECO when they come out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

And don't use your Garmin to measure elevation gain! Not accurate and not consistent.
Quote Reply

Prev Next