Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 miles
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll play along:

1) Average watts: 181
2) Average speed: 21.8 mph
3) Distance: 112 miles, give or take
4) Rider weight: 163 pounds
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2005 model P3C, Jet 9 front, Jet Disc back
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Rode conservatively and ran a 3:22:xx marathon off the bike (This was a very good run for me; I know some of you are a lot faster, both on the bike and on the run)
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position: Obviously, this was at an IM. I'm afraid the ASI Photo copyright police would come after me if I linked to one of the pictures they took, and there are no others that I know of. So, sorry, there's no picture or link here.

Scrubbie
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Western Australia 2011, flat with small bump, 3 lap course, windy

1) Average watts - NP 165W AP 160W
2) Average speed - 32.34kph
3) Distance - 181km
4) Rider weight - 83kg
5) Describe bike and wheels - Cervelo P3 / 2005 Zipp 404 F, 808 R PowerTap SL+, Aerojacket wheel cover, Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 23 tubs, 2 rear bottles, 1 on aerobars
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - none
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey tribern, how long did the bike split take? I'm doing IM WA this year so would be good to get an idea (I realise that wind, conditions etc play a factor that can't be calculated).
Last edited by: 1q2w3e4r: Mar 16, 12 2:09
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [1q2w3e4r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1q2w3e4r wrote:
Hey tribern, how long did the bike split take? I'm doing IM WA this year so would be good to get an idea (I realise that wind, conditions etc play a factor that can't be calculated).

My math says 181 km / 32.34 km/hr = 5.6 hours = 5 hours 36 mins
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [1q2w3e4r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1q2w3e4r wrote:

My official time on the bike was 5:34:20. You can see all the splits here : http://www.multisportaustralia.com.au/...p;EId=1&AId=1791

The distance my Edge 500 shows is 181.4km. I had a pretty good ride but ended up getting caught behind long trains of riders (the draft distance is 12m and you have 25seconds to complete a pass), soI figured the energy output required to pass 6 - 10 riders at a time was not worth the time I would make up. In the end it didn't matter as I screwed up my nutrition on the bike and pretty much bonked 10km into the run.

I've done IMWA 3 times and love the race, the town of Busselton and the people who live and travel there. I'd do it again but got into IM Canada this year instead.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I've never heard a bad report about the race as a whole.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up and recap I appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
The goal of this thread is not to see how has the most power, nor the biggest penis. It is to assess efficiency: i.e., to see who has the most efficient penis.
Please include the following information

Matto,

Although I don't have any recent power data to post, I want to commend you for compiling some very interesting data about power vs performance.

As you pointed out, it's clearly not just about power output, since there are multiple factors that affect overall performance: rolling resistance (affected by road surface, tires, weight), aerodynamics (affected by position, changing wind directions etc.), but we can't really compare efficiency unless everyone were riding in the exact same conditions ( same road surface, wind, temp, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im new to ST, but not new to cycling/mountain biking/racing. Ive really enjoyed reading the site the past few months. I plan on doing my 1st tri this summer (if I don't drown training).

This is from the Florida State TT last year, 40k.

Weather: Horrible. Rain and 15mph cross-tail (out) to head-cross (in)- 30mph gusts.
Distance: 24.8mi.
Time: 55:48
Work: 1012kJ
Avg. Watts: 302
Max Watts: 721
Avg. HR: 175bpm
Max. HR: 179bpm
Avg. Cadence: 95rpm
Avg. Speed: 26.6mph
Body Weight: 172lbs

That is the 1st time Ive done a TT on a TT bike- its a 2008 Isaac Efficiency with a Bontrager Aeolus 90 (wrong choice) front and a Zipp Sub-9 rear. Look forward to doing some more!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of these speed/power/weight combos depress me...

Timberman 70.3
1) Average watts - 237w
2) Average speed - 22.3 mph
3) Distance - 56mi
4) Rider weight - 5'9", 154lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Felt B2R, wheelcover in back, 40mm TTR2 front wheel
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - No excuses, ran great off the bike and was happy with the split. But seeing weight/power and speed combo's on here makes me sad, I really need to work on my aero-ness this season.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive got a couple to put up from the last few weeks, Pic now added
First one 25min FTP test

1) Average watts: 389 (393NP)
2) Average speed in MPH: 25.17MPH
average cadence: 96RPM
3) Distance 17.15km
4) Rider weight 91kg
5) Describe bike and wheels
Trek TTX, DTswiss 28spoke training wheels, kask road helemt.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: windy conditions and slow road surface. no go fast equipment as its only training.

Second one was a 3hr10min effort in training with limited cal intake.
1) Average watts: 255w (265NP)
2) Average speed in MPH: 21.66MPH
Average cadence: 80rpm
3) Distance 110.5km (68.66Miles)
4) Rider weight 90kg (stlll around 10kg to much bodyfat)
5) Describe bike and wheels: Trek TTX, DTswiss 28spoke training wheels, kask road helemt.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero:
windy conditions and slow road surface. no go fast equipment as its only training. done as a first session trying out possible race pace. minimal cal intake to create cal deposit. teaching body to be less punchy and more consistent power output wise after coming from cycling. 4km run off bike at 4min/km pace.

position pic, did efforts in just normal bibs and top

hoppersportsperformance.com
Last edited by: hotshot: Mar 17, 12 0:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday's 70.3 Bike leg

1) Average watts 195 NP, 187 AP
2) Average speed 33.94kph / 21.09 mph
3) Distance 90.7km / 56.35 mi
4) Rider weight 84kg / 185.18 lb
5) Describe bike and wheels Cervelo P3, 2005 808 PowerTap Sl with Aerojacket wheel cover, 2005 404 front, Vittoria Corsa EVO 23 tubs. 2 rear bottles, Speedfil A2 between the arms
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero. Hot and windy, was ill during the week, but no complaints
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. Shouldn't have been any change from above pic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tribern, you probably passed me out there somewhere. Do you remember anyone on a white P3 with a red, white, and black De Soto trisuit?

1) Average watts: 169 NP, 135 AP
2) Average speed: 29.6 kph / 18.4 mph
3) Distance: 56 miles, ish - I didn't start my watch until a little ways out on the first lap so I'm going to assume the course was accurate
4) Rider weight 75.7 kg / 167 lb
5) Describe bike and wheels: Cervelo P3, Open Pro PowerTap rear with a Wheelbuilder cover and Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC, ENVE 65 front with a Conti GP4000s, torpedo and behind-the-seat bottles
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: My power kept dropping out. I noticed this on the trainer last week but thought it was an issue with my ANT+ stick, as the 310xt seemed to read power fine... until race day. My cadence, from the speed/cadence magnet, was constant while my power kept dropping to zero. This probably affected my power levels by an insignificant amount as I'm really just really weak (and it was hot and windy and those *$&# speed-strips ejected my mojo along with 300cal of nutrition and my flat kit).
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strangely, with so many bikes on the course, I do remember passing another white P3 and as I did, I thought about saying something inane like "nice bike" (since I was on the same model and colour scheme) but didn't. I think the rider was wearing black but I didnt notice the trim or the brand. I was wearing balck and white ANZA Cycling kit and a white red and blue Rudy Project Wingspan.

I can't say I'm a fan of the Changi Coastal road because of the strips, but they seem to be appearing more and more around Singapore. They taught me a long time ago to make sure bottles and other ejectables were stowed tightly. I even carry extra cable ties and a spare velcro strap on longer races just in case.

How was your race overall. Did losing the calories have a bad impact later?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha! I did exactly that (with the "nice bike" comment to another white P3 - the cyclist looked a bit confused at first but caught on).

It was my first HIM and I was woefully underprepared, so I can't say for sure, but I think I did okay with the reduced nutrition. I took in 200-250 calories per hour on the bike and tried to put down 200 cal/hour on the run, but my stomach wanted no part of that. The biggest issue I had was a crash a couple of kilometers from the bike finish - I slipped into the gutter on the side of the road, and from there my wheel caught the curb - but my bike was ridable and I took it in the rest of the way with the bars angled about 20 degrees off center. I need to work on this "racing without crashing" concept.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aftereffector wrote:
Haha! I did exactly that (with the "nice bike" comment to another white P3 - the cyclist looked a bit confused at first but caught on).

It was my first HIM and I was woefully underprepared, so I can't say for sure, but I think I did okay with the reduced nutrition. I took in 200-250 calories per hour on the bike and tried to put down 200 cal/hour on the run, but my stomach wanted no part of that. The biggest issue I had was a crash a couple of kilometers from the bike finish - I slipped into the gutter on the side of the road, and from there my wheel caught the curb - but my bike was ridable and I took it in the rest of the way with the bars angled about 20 degrees off center. I need to work on this "racing without crashing" concept.

I don't use power(on the list of potential upgrades, but delayed thanks to Trainer Road), but I did do that race last weekend.

I went 2:42 on the bike for a 20.8ish mph pace. Riding a 2010 style Felt DA with SRAM S60 front and S80 rear. No aero helmet and the torpedo bottle solution. I'm currently a fatty at ~205 lbs.

Those strips suck bad, but there isn't much you can do to avoid them around here. I saw two crashes, don't think either were you. One dude bit it in the left turn out of the first aid station. The other dude was laying in the outbound side of Changi Coast in obvious pain with a whole lot of police and support around him. I didn't see his bike though. That run sucked bad though, I definitely overcooked the bike. My Garmin clocked the bike course at 55.98 miles, so I'm going to say the course was pretty darn accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hilly, windy time trial during a stage race this saturday

Me:
1) Average watts 285
2) Average speed 24.1mph
3) Distance 8.9mph
4) Rider weight 175lbs
5) P3C, clincher disc-covered jet9 rear, stinger 9 front, fast tires, skin suit, aero helmet
6) Done a few hours after a 2 hour road race

Wife:
1) Average watts 259
2) Average speed 25.2mph
3) Distance 8.9mph
4) Rider weight 135lbs
5) P2C, clincher disc-covered jet9 rear, stinger 9 front, fast tires, skin suit, aero helmet
6) Done a few hours after a 2 hour road race

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skin suit

Now we're talking. Whens the first 40km TT?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
skin suit

Now we're talking. Whens the first 40km TT?

Should be early April I think, as long as the IronHaus TT is still on next month.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Me:
2) Average speed 24.1mph

Wife:
2) Average speed 25.2mph

Chicked again! Cool

I'm really curious how you two will compare on a flat, fast course where the gravity aspect of the weight difference is minimized. Pics comparing your positions would be interesting too.
Last edited by: matto: Mar 19, 12 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes I plan on doing some position comparison very soon.

it helps that she would have chicked the entire cat4 field except for the two semi-pro triathlete ringers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
his TT last week was on a fairly flat course. one small bump on an 8mi out and back. this is guessing it was the mopac loop south of the veloway

i don't recall the fayetteville TT course being super hilly, the two course I have done in the past anyway

jack just needs to practice what he preaches and find a way to be a true aeroweenie and not just one that talks the talk. <= slight smackdown, since I don't envision meeting him anytime soon and his reach would kill me!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fayetteville was a new course this year. nothing that would even be categorized in the tour, but hillier than in the past, and hillier than mopac.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was it nice and warm or cool and wet. I have experienced both and prefer dry there!!

no train delays? :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next