Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post your Ventum questions here
Quote | Reply
I chatted with the folks at Ventum and they are willing to answer serious questions about the new bike. Apparently what we have seen are advanced prototype but they are still in the process of refining it.

Post your questions here and I will select from them to post to the Ventum folks for a home page feature.

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the frame's stack and reach numbers?

Could you provide wind tunnel data, in terms of CdA, with error bars, and testing protocol?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I chatted with the folks at Ventum and they are willing to answer serious questions about the new bike. Apparently what we have seen are advanced prototype but they are still in the process of refining it.

Post your questions here and I will select from them to post to the Ventum folks for a home page feature.

Herbert

When will it be ready for actual distribution to the paying customer.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did they decide on the "lotus" frame shape? Did they do some preliminary cfd on popular shapes such as beam bike, double diamond, and what they decided on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the capacity of the top-tube hydration system? Any other provisions for on-frame storage (e.g. flat kit)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why use an open-mold fork and cockpit instead of developing something unique and probably faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What should the newly registered pro's ride while waiting for availability?

How can no bike be faster then a slow bike?

Too much B's and marketing...I want to see results

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the Ventum designed using CFD techniques, or using molds and the wind tunnel?

Will the Ventum be tested against other frames and the results be made available, even if Ventum doesn't come out on top?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about torsional rigidity at high speeds?
Is this bike stable during a 50mph descent with some long curves with a tall person on it?
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
What are the frame's stack and reach numbers?

Could you provide wind tunnel data, in terms of CdA, with error bars, and testing protocol?

+1
And can you test alongside an existing popular design such as the P5 or Speed Concept, as a reference point?

Also, rear wheel clearance and being mindful of the narrowness of some bikes such as the old P4, which wheels have successfully used with the frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK availability? Timescales?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you able to include an internal hydration bladder if Specialized has patented this? Did you license it from them or is the US market not getting hydration bladders like other manufacturers?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think it had an internal bladder. It has a separate, integrated water bottle system.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only opened the tread to ascertain what a 'Ventum Question' was. I had no clue it was apparently some new brand of bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read any documentation just going off what others have been saying here and there. Glad to hear it wasn't internal because I'd be pissed as an IA owner robbed of his internal bladder glory! LMAO

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

originally posted here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5443068#5443068

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
How are you able to include an internal hydration bladder if Specialized has patented this? Did you license it from them or is the US market not getting hydration bladders like other manufacturers?

What patent specifically, I thought there's was only with a refill on the top tube?

Please Share patent link.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was closely following the Felt IA development in 2013 and Felt had planned to have internal bladder and just before launch in the USA they (Specialized) got a patent for internal bladders in bicycles. I'm no patent lawyer so it could have been a "refillable" bladder I'm not certain but I know after it came out the IA no longer got it's internal bladder. All I know is the reason in the USA it is only a Shiv with one is due to this patent. Which to me is silly because you know the tri bike industry wants this to be as common as bottle cages.

Link I found:
http://www.google.com/patents/US8308179

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got no real experience with patents, but reading through that it looks like the patent isn't really for the internal bladder, but more so that the bladder has something to stiffen it to ease insertion and removal and can also act as a straw and part of the bladder designed to sit outside the frame flush to the surface. Hard to claim a patent on just the internal bladder that the Cat Cheetah has had for more than 10 years.
Last edited by: dgunthert: Feb 24, 15 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't argue that but in speaking with some product managers in the industry I've found that this only applies to the US. I was looking into designing and selling an alternative CalPac system for the IA to make up for this but I was urged not to sell them in the USA if I was to avoid the might of the Specialized law squad. It's a shame really because Cheetah probably didn't file a patent for it seeing how it's a universally beneficial technology to be in all bikes. I'm also not sure where Cheetah was first designed and manufactured. Was it in the USA?

There is a number of other patents it may fall under all I know is that for a major brand like Felt to back peddle on the original concept of internal hydration there had to be lawyers involved. They wouldn't be so foolish to leave it out otherwise since they are quite in tune with the Triathlon market.

Lucky for me I am in Canada so I'm still moving forward with making one for myself but it's not an endeavour for the weary.

------
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a patent law guy either, but the devil is in the details...or more specifically, the claims...their specific claims. If they claim a stiffening mechanism associated with the bladder, for example, then that's one thing you can't do (without requesting to license their design). There's more to it than that, but hopefully you get the gist.

Prior art like the CatOasis hydration bladder can work against you (if trying to file a patent for something similar) or work for you (if trying to defend an infringement claim)...but again, it's all about the claims. Whether the CatOasis is protected by a patent or not, some elements of that design appear different enough from Specialized's claims that holding it up as an example of prior art probably wouldn't be a strong argument. The CatOasis bladder is inflated into the frame like a balloon, the hose/straw is a separate element inserted after the bladder is in the frame, the "plug" is not an integral part of the bladder or the frame, and (from a practical standpoint) the refillability of that system seems questionable...unless something has changed significantly since the linked pdf was published. Steps 4&5 don't strike me as an on-the-fly operation.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Ventum questions here [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
I'm not a patent law guy either, but the devil is in the details...or more specifically, the claims...their specific claims. If they claim a stiffening mechanism associated with the bladder, for example, then that's one thing you can't do (without requesting to license their design). There's more to it than that, but hopefully you get the gist.

It is also in what the patent holder is willing to fight for and make concessions for in terms of payment / recognition.

Example - the "Horst Link" patent called for two essential elements; 1) a chainstay pivot near the rear dropout and 2) a pivot above and behind the BB shell.

Specialized chooses to focus on the first element only when enforcing this patent and zealously goes after anyone with a chainstay pivot on their bikes, even if the contested design does not have a BB pivot above and behind the BB shell. IOW, if you had a BB pivot that below and in front of the BB, you would not be violating their patent, even if you have a chainstay pivot....but you can bet you would hear directly from Specialized's lawyers very quickly.

But then Specialized offers up very low "licensing" deals that makes disputing their allegations essentially pointless. You'd spend more money trying to prove you were right than you would ever pay in licensing fees.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like the know the CdA with a rider or dummy aboard at various yaw angles as compared to any of the established superbikes =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Herbert

Thanks for doing this. Any idea when they might address them?
Quote Reply

Prev Next