Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [mariutti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mariutti wrote:
d-elvis wrote:
barrel_o_monkey wrote:
Just discovered 1. Keep the light on. Very helpful when doing outdoor intervals during the winter months when it gets dark here at 5.00. If you don't use Garmin Connect, what do you use? Thanks. Cheers.

I use RunningAhead (http://www.runningahead.com) In addition to what Garmin Connect does, it also tracks your mileage on your shoes and bike.

I use Sportstracks. I dont like online storage softwares. Sportstracks is very good. It track´s ALL stuff you use.

As of today, SportTracks will upload and disply the swim metrics from the Garmin 910xt and split out the laps with all pertenant data.....very cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a lowly 305, but here are a few tips.

For the run, set autolap to 1/4 mile. You can then display the lap pace display to smooth out the jumps in current pace. During a race, I display current pace, average pace and the watch will give me 1/4 mile splits so i can keep track of those without having the lap pace displayed.

For the bike, I have an alarm set to go off every 15 minutes to remind me to eat/drink.

Use the autopause feature, but turn it off for race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I turn on Run 2 and Bike 2 for my 310. I have different data shown on each. For example, my main run screen shows time, distance and current pace. My run 2 screen shows lap pace and average pace. The arrow buttons toggle between the displays or there is an auto-scroll function that will do it for you. I bet there is similar functions on the 910.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've searched for an answer, but could not find one yet. When running (or cycling) with my 910XT I like to get my 1km (10km) splits so these pop-up and the 910 warns me by vibrating. What I really do hate is the fact that I first have to watch the message 'distance alert' for a couple of seconds before my split-time appears. There's no information at all in that message, since I already know it's there by the watch vibrating. Maybe not a genuine problem in the grander scheme of things, but if someone has an idea how to disable this message that would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the auto-split feature do what you want or are you trying to disable the popup that happens when it auto-splits?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

For the run, set autolap to 1/4 mile. You can then display the lap pace display to smooth out the jumps in current pace. During a race, I display current pace, average pace and the watch will give me 1/4 mile splits so i can keep track of those without having the lap pace displayed.

For the bike, I have an alarm set to go off every 15 minutes to remind me to eat/drink.

Question for you lowly 305 user <GRIN>

There is a reasonable amount of debate on Garmin Forums, and some here I think too, about current/instant pace on the 910XT and how bad it is. IHMO, while it may be worse than the 310 (and having checked with my 310 I/mnot so sure it is) a number of folk are referring back to how much better the 305 is/was than either the 310XT or the 910XT. I had a 305 but cannot remember how much the instant pace fluctuated. What pace variation do you see when running with the 305?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
I've searched for an answer, but could not find one yet. When running (or cycling) with my 910XT I like to get my 1km (10km) splits so these pop-up and the 910 warns me by vibrating. What I really do hate is the fact that I first have to watch the message 'distance alert' for a couple of seconds before my split-time appears. There's no information at all in that message, since I already know it's there by the watch vibrating. Maybe not a genuine problem in the grander scheme of things, but if someone has an idea how to disable this message that would be great.

In your training settings, turn off the distance alert. You have both on, so you're seeing the distance alert first, then the lap split. You only need the lap split in order to get an alert and a split time.
Last edited by: work2tri: Mar 15, 12 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have anything to compare it to, but I can tell that it uses a rolling average that is probably about 10 seconds or so. This is easily seen by watching the pace on the bike or even when driving in a car and coming to or leaving a stoplight. The rolling average results is a pretty smooth reading but maybe not as responsive as you might like. For example, if I consciously change my pace, I do not to look at the watch for 10 seconds to see what my new pace is.

If I am running a 10K or marathon it works pretty good to glance at my current pace to see if I am drifting high or low and get back on track. But people complained about the ability to do interval training and started using footpods. The rolling average doesn't work well if that is how you are using the 310.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irncpl wrote:
torrey wrote:

Question for you lowly 305 user <GRIN>

There is a reasonable amount of debate on Garmin Forums, and some here I think too, about current/instant pace on the 910XT and how bad it is. IHMO, while it may be worse than the 310 (and having checked with my 310 I/mnot so sure it is) a number of folk are referring back to how much better the 305 is/was than either the 310XT or the 910XT. I had a 305 but cannot remember how much the instant pace fluctuated. What pace variation do you see when running with the 305?

My 305 seems to be pretty laggy IMHO. I'd say it's about 5-8 seconds behind what I'm actually running at that moment. I'll look into this and pay more attention on my run tomorrow and try to remember to report back.
Quote Reply

Prev Next