Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post laminectomy- pre fusion
Quote | Reply
Wanting your input.

I have had two separate procedures for 1) disc rupture resulting in laminectomy at S1, L5. Was able to do almost everything for 14 years. Last summer I had severe stenosis. Had laminectomy at L5,L4 and L4,L3. Now I have severe osteoarthritis at L5,L4 and L4,L3. Doctor is recommending fusion. Pain is level 2 most of the time; if I try and run it elevates to a 9/10. Throughout the day I have "zingers" down my legs that last for less than a second, but are quite painful.

I want to avoid surgery if possible.

Anyone have luck with other options? If so, what worked?

Anyone have success after fusion? What can I expect in swimming, running and biking?

Thanks, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Post laminectomy- pre fusion [rt2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had fusion of two discs in the neck over thirty years ago and other than one time when I dove into a swimming pool of very cold water I have never had a problem. The pain from that episode lasted about three months and I went through varying forms of physical therapy along with various pain medication therapies. Somehow, it seemed to correct itself and I have been pain and symptom free for over ten years. Every experience is different.
Prior to my surgery the doctors had me try several things including seeing a chiropractor, stretching therapy which included hanging from the rafters, PT and pain medications for several months. After all of those attempts with worsening symptoms I was forced to break down and have surgery. The worst pain post-surgery was in my hip where they took a piece of bone for the fusion. I refused to have a piece of bone from a cadaver inserted into my neck. Within three days following the surgery I was pain free for the first time in almost a year.
Again, this was almost thirty years ago and I know that the procedure and recovery is so much easier now than it was back then.
I run every day, at least an hour. Swim and bike and am very active physically. So, in my case, the procedure was a tremendous success.
I know from personal experience that the pain can be debilitating. Good luck to you no matter what you decide to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I had an L4 L5 fusion in September 2011. Prior to that I had pain in the level of 2 - 9 for four years. The only thing that really helped believe it or not was Pilates. The pain got so bad I chose Dr V to do the surgery in Boulder Colorado. I had some ups and downs post surgery but nine months later I was able to climb Longs Peak. Fast forward 6 yrs and I got a full and 1/2 IM under my belt along with a few ultra runs I also do CrossFit four times a week with no pain. It all depends on the doctor do your research there is endurance life after back fusion.
Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you be a candidate for this implant?:

http://www.coflexsolution.com/content/what-coflex

I don't know much about it and its pluses and minuses, except that it looks to be better than fusion.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Post laminectomy- pre fusion [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I will pass on to doctor. In looking at the device, it may not work with laminectomies? Thanks for the information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a doc, so I don't know, but maybe it or something like it could help you instead of fusion.

I think it is relatively newer, so definitely do a lot of research ... and maybe get more than one medical opinion too.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've had laminectomies, the bone to which that device appears to attach has been removed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinal fusions aren't particularly known for their high rate of success. See a medical professional who knows triathletes/runners (meaning the biomechanics of the sport, training habits, etc) and work hard at reducing loading rates and spinal stress from a biomechanical approach. It can be done.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Would you be a candidate for this implant?:
http://www.coflexsolution.com/content/what-coflex
That looks awesome! I had L2-L3 fused due to 8mm disc protrusion. At the same time, the surgeon derotated and straightened my spine (scoliosis). I had a minimally invasive procedure called ILIF – basically twoplates sandwiching the two spinous process of the vertebrae. It has been amazing since - road & trail running, half-ironmans, open water swimming & doing well at them.
I'll be needing something done at L4-L5 as it radiates pain into my left hip and leg. But I'm holding off as long as possible because I know there are devices like this and ball-and-socket procedures that are or will be better than fusion. I want to keep some flexibility in my back.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear about your spine issues. Those "zingers" are fun, eh?

I can speak to your last question. After over a year of trying every type of treatment imaginable, I had lamenectomies in 2005 for disc damage in L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1. Unfortunately the lamenectomies provided no relief. In addition to the "zingers", I would get intense spasms in both legs and my muscles would literally shut down after 20-30 minutes of activity (swimming was the one exception, but I had to be careful with my turns).

I had a three level fusion in May of 2006. The first month was miserable with pain as bad or worse then prior to the surgery. For me it was due in part to a reluctance to take the pain meds. Once I found a med that I could deal with, the healing process began. The first six weeks was limited to walking.

I was able to start riding easy after six weeks, and was able to build up my cycling faster then I expected. There were occasional set-backs, but a day or two of rest and I would be back at it.

Swimming was more of a challenge. I tried swimming after six weeks, but I would have severe leg spasms again after a session. My PT recommended I wait until I regained some core strength. I began again about four months post surgery which made a huge difference.

I purposely held off running for six months. After six months I started with pool running, then a month later treadmill, and finally on the road after another two to three weeks.

I was back racing just over a year after my surgery and raced short course through the summer. In the fall I did a HIM and full IM with better then expected results.

I shared this in another thread earlier this week. Throughout the recovery process and back into racing, I would have set-backs where I would have to back off everything for a few days. If you opt to go the fusion route, I can't emphasize enough the importance of being patient.

That was almost 11 years ago. I've since given up running. In part due to flare-ups that seemed to correlate to running, but also due to an arthritic knee that needs to be replaced at some point.

I have no regrets. One of the big concerns with having the fusion is that you lose the cushioning of the discs that are removed. That puts more strain on the discs above/below and can cause them to degenerate.

Best of luck to you.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I confirmed with my doctor that I am unable to use the device as I have had full laminectomies. Thanks for the info, it looks promising. Hopefully others that may be viewing this will inquire about the device prior to their first surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. Others, please chime in. I want to avoid surgery if at all possible. I am going to schedule appointment for PT and go with the shot, hopefully to make it through the summer, then decide what to do.
Quote Reply