Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post Microdiscectomy Advice-UPDATE SURGERY 4/1
Quote | Reply
Surgery done!

Dr said everything went great. The first herniation (L5/S1) had largely cleared up on its own (which we kinda knew) he just cleared out some of the fibrous material still hitting the nerve. The second herniation (L4/L5) was MASSIVE and hitting both sides of the nerve from the back. He got that cleaned up too. So far so good!

First day after, I walked around the house some. My back back was sore around the wound, but no real leg pain. I guess it is normal to have the nerve still irritated and have some residual leg pain.

NO PAIN in legs at all today (2nd day). Back incision got a little sore but thats it. I feel good while standing and moving, but still some lingering numbness.
I don't really have a feel for how much I should be doing. I am scared to death at times to move. I am so tentative about keeping straight and not bending or twisting.

A friend offered me a great piece of advice that applies to me (see below), the only problem is my PT left me after 3 months to take a job in Hawaii, imagine that?

So any PTs out there with some first week advice to get me thru until my 1st week appt. with my surgeon?

"Well, this is a vast generalization on my part, but from what I've experienced, as well as my mother and sister who went through this surgery, neurosurgeons aren't much into post-op care. Almost all of my post-op guidance came from physical therapists...of course, I didn't meet them until 3 weeks after my surgery and noticing the dirt under my fingernails, they asked what I'd been doing. When I told them I was gently hoe-ing in my garden, they went ballistic!

If you have a PT you trust, I would give them a call and ask them for guidance".

Help please.

-
3x Leadville 100 (23:50) PR
Badwater 135 (41:24)
Lean Horse 100 (20:19)
Run Across Colorado 320 miles
Last edited by: irishsailsman: Apr 1, 08 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice [irishsailsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had exactly the same surgery one year ago this weekend...

It sounds like everything went well with your surgery and you have a positive mindset...that is the key.

Here is how my recovery has gone for your reference.
*first 3 weeks, lots of walking, very slow walking, no sudden movements...I felt fine just fragile...I am sure you know what I mean.
*week 4 started swimming. Lots of easy swimming. Swimming was and still is the best thing that I do for my back...the colder the water the better.
*week 5 started slow jogging. Tried to ride but didn't feel quite right.
*week 6 running and upright riding...no aerobars.
*week 10 back to 80% normal schedule...just allowing for more time for stretching/warming up.

As far as P.T. goes I went 3 times and got a few exercises from them and just did them at home. The best P.T. for me was being in the pool. Not always swimming...a lot of the time doing a lot of range of motion exercises. I have a competion pool right next to my house that they keep at cold temperatures...I feel better everytime I leave that pool. Inflammation is your enemy. Find a good masseuse.

I am happy to tell you that I am back 100% now. However, I have to be much more mindful about what and how I do things. I never hesitate to take a step back when I feel things tightening up...and they do. The cliche..."listen to your body"...it's true.

I don't know if this helped you at all...but just letting you know that you will be fine in time. Just enjoy the process and don't force things.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice [sherpasports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!

That does help a bit. It seems that walking as much as possible (within reason) is good for me. I should just stay away from anything straining, or that makes me twist and bend.

I am feeling sooo much better. And I got out of the house for about a 10 minute walk earlier. IT WAS AWESOME.

I am going to go for another short walk here in a few!

Thanks again gang.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enjoy the walking, because that is ALL you should do for the next 6 weeks. yes, i was scared shitless of screwing up after the surgery, i think everyone is, so just chill out and watch some hoops!

you might get some wierd zings down the legs and back over the next few days if you move to fast or do something bad, like bend or twist. i think that is normal. baby your back seriously for the next 2 weeks. you will be amazed how fast you will recover and i bet you'll be walking more than an hour in 2-3 weeks pain free. the first 1-2 weeks, things are definitely a little wonky, so TAKE IT EASY.

I rode 55 miles today (8 months post Micro. longest outdoor ride since last May). It hurt like hell, but YEHAW. it feels good to be back!

Sherpa above gives pretty good guidance...

GO VILLANOVA!

Sue
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool.

Nice ride!

The Dr said he will have me swimming as soon as the incision heals, maybe as soon as 3 weeks!

I would be scared shitless!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on 3 weeks now and still I have leg pain.

I had a partial laminectomy (I think) and disc decompression. They're telling it is normal to have irritated nerves for a while.

I am able to walk 30-45 minutes without issue. I will try swimming next week.

My biggest pains thus far have been from sitting at a computer. I got involved in some computer stuff and ended up sitting for about 3 hours and afterwards I could hardly move. I was in serious pain...ridiculous pain.

So I think I am on my way to healing, not sure it's the same as yours but it's coming along.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to you my friend!

We should all set up a "Herniated Disc Race Meeting"!

I cant wait to get onto the pool!

HAPPY EASTER!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this surgery twice - both L5-S1 (2nd surgery was a case of bad luck....I slipped on the ice and fell on my tail bone 1 year after the 1st surgery).

Listen to your Doc and ask a lot of questions. You will be able to do whatever you want as long as you're smart about our recovery and subsequent long-term care of your back. Walk a lot at first, and then ask your Doc and PT when you can work your way back into training.

You'll be fine.....good luck and congrats on a successful surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be careful about the swimming. The twisting is pretty harsh on the back. It is still the one thing I have problems doing. I get vicious leg cramps in my calf still because of the torque on my spine. no flip turns whatsoever.

My doc told me one thing... those that only have to get this done once are those who come back slowly. i was sort of blown away when they told me it would take a year to get back normal, and 8 months later, i now undestand why. even though my ride felt okay yesterday, i had some numbness in my leg afterwards, and that IS NOT a good sign. gotta back off a bit this week.

remember, your annulus still has the tear in it from the herniation and surgery. it takes 10 weeks for that hole to close up. be very very careful over the next few weeks. you really do not want to herniate a 2nd time. been there done that, and it cost me an additional 5 months of sitting on my ass, gaining weight and frustration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point taken.

I definately want to be healthy long term, and not back on the table.

I am thinking maybe 4-6 weeks to swim, 6-8 bike,8-10 jog. Even if I am cleared sooner.

I am so glad to be pain free and moving FORWARD.

Walked 20 minutes today feeling good.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK one more bit of advice.... watch your posture, and I'd try not to sit for long periods. Unfortunately I believe our mothers were right when they said we should sit up straight (turns out she was right about other stuff too!). I believe slouchy sitting posture is a very very bad thing for the disc. I'd also be pretty aware of position on the bike when you get back to biking. Long periods of a flexed spine + disc problems are not a good combination IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I was always partial to getting leg cramps (calf and hammie) are they then now going to be worse?

My ortho told me that I should do no running, lots of walking, some stationary cycling (I imagine he means the upright or recumbent type - not my trainer) and swimming. He said that swimming was good and low impact. I didn't ask about this as I think of swimming as 'swimming'.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad your surgery went well! I am 18 months post-op same surgery. Isn't is amazing to have that nerve pain gone?

My situation was a bot different because I had my surgery 4 weeks after having my baby via c-section. So, I wasn't in any hurry to start training again with a newborn.

But, happy to say I am training at 100% effort for IMLOU 2008. So far so good! There are days when I feel twinges in my back, but nothing like pre-surgery. I respect those twinges though and baby my back when needed.

I have fallen head over heels for ART (active release therapy)! I plan on taking advantage of it all through my training this season as a preventative measure or to tweak things as needed. They have made a huge difference in the way I move and feel.

Good luck on your road to recovery and a successful race season!

Anne

www.poshpossessions.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i doubt it. everyone's nerves / spines and damage is different. my doc said he had not heard of people cramping in the calf so long after surgery (this was an issue after the 1st hernaition). i NEVER had a calf cramp like this before my disc injury.

it is SLOWLY getting less frequent. for some reason, swimming just does not jive with the disc anymore. it starts flaring at me about 2500-3000 yards into my workouts and once it goes, i have to get out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeling good!

30 minutes walk today. Trying not to get ahead of myself, but feeling so much better!

Keep you updated. please do the same guys.

Maybe we could start a surgery update thread for those of us on the recovery trail? Keep each other motivated etc?

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on getting through the surgery successfully, good luck on the recovery!

You (or anyone else) wish to offer any advice for someone going to see a surgeon... what questions to ask and anything you wish you had done? I have been fighting this pain for 2 years, epidurals haven't really worked and neither has PT, Chiro, Pain Meds, Running lots, running none, etc. and this has to stop... It's making me a worse husband, person, student, etc.

How is the nerve pain post-op? I have always said I can grit my teeth and tough through most of the back pain (unless there is spasms), but the nerve pain is sooo unbearable.

Keep us updated. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice [francismacomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For myself, I had a little different procedure than irish.

My nerve pain after surgery has been bad. Doc says it is irritated nerves and can be expected to continue up to 5-9 weeks psat surgery. I have zero spasms but I also had almost no back pain before the surgery...mine was all nerves.

I also went about 2 years with the pain. Make sure the doc understands that where your pain is and when it comes about. Make sure you tell them about any weakness, numbness or any problems with urinating or movements. Make certain they have the whole picture and that way you can get the whole picture regarding the procedure and recovery. Make sure your doc is reputable and make certain the he/she will be doing the surgery and not a resident or intern.

I hated the drugs at the hospital. When they were coming out of my system I was so itchy it was terrible. The other bad part was trying to urinate the 1st 24 hours. I guess your musclesare so weak that it is almost impossible to push it out even if it is feeling like you will explode.

hope that helps

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
First of all, sorry to hear you have been suffering.

Here what happened to me;

My whole ordeal started December 2nd this last year at the Tucson Marathon. I had been pushing like crazy (I kill myself for this now) but I was training to do the Leadville 100 this year.

Tucson was my 4th marathon in 3 months and I did 3 in like 45 days. The whole time my back was hurting, but as usual when I run..problem goes away (or seems to) After the race I was experiencing the normal aches and pains. (I had had back problems my whole life) but the pain in my legs/ hamstrings was different somehow. By the time I got to the airport a couple days later, I had an attack of pain so severe in my right calve that I had to sit down before I fell over! I mean I was sweating, and I thought I was going to yell out loud in the middle of the baggage claim, like my calve was being ripped apart!....then in like 20 seconds, NO PAIN at all, nothing. for the first time I realized this inst normal "muscle" pain.

I went to a Sports Medicine Practice in nearby Boulder County, CO. Eventually we did an MRI (herniated L5/S1 bulging L4/L5) and started PT. Everything was going well, the pain had changed from left to right leg. Sometimes numbness, sometimes shooting in the calve, sometimes shooting in the butt cheeks, hammys, you name it, all over.

As as a couple month rolled on, I started to get stronger and the pain was light and only fleeting (I had been swimming and cycling a lot during this time-NO RUNNING) Eventually the pain was pretty much gone with only an occasional flare up. The PT said lets start light running to see what happens, just light stuff.

Did 2 miles, 2 miles, then 4 miles, then....pain back. Horrible in both hammys and butt cheeks... OK, no running.

Now, we did a steroid shot. Perfect! Pain gone. back to swimming and such with no problems. We were going to wait a while before starting running again, just get strong and continue CORE work for a couple months.

One week after shot. I was walking around the house feeling great, and my left butt check started to get tight, nothing major, just tight. Within 5 minutes, I was in so much pain I couldn't stand! The worse pain of my life. And this time, it didn't go away, it stayed.

Dr sent me in for second MRI; somewhere along the line my other disc herniated (L4/L5). I couldn't stand at all, or even sit up. I could only lean over the side of the couch arm. This is where I slept and ate and spent 3 weeks waiting for surgery.

For me it was a pretty easy decision. I could not stand up anymore. However, the Dr and I had already made the decision to go for surgery had the 2nd steroid shot not worked well. We figured I was not getting better. If I were a "sedentary office worker" then maybe just hanging out and waiting would have been a good option for me. But I needed to be back to MY life (training/ competing), not some "sedentary office workers" life.

My DR told me that in 2 years, where I will be is about the same surgery or not. (we all eventually heal) the difference is how quick do you need to be there.

I have only been a few days now, but I cannot say how happy I am. I cant go run or swim yet, but I am not in pain! There nerve issues are pretty much gone, I have some lingering numbness but no nerve pain. I can straighten my legs out, I don't "build up" pain as I am standing. I can stand and walk around the house..no problem. I walked for 30 minutes yesterday, 4 days after surgery.

I have a long road ahead, but I feel that I am in the race now. Running toward the finish line. Not just wondering what to do.

Dr says swimming as soon as the incision heals (3 weeks)-Cycling (6 weeks)- Running (8 weeks). (Approx)
I will probably be more conservative.

Everyone has different experiences and advice. I wish the non surgery options would have worked, they did not. (For me). But I am positive I made the right choice.

Ask your Dr:

What will happen if I don't do surgery?

How is my case same or different from others you have?

How many surgeries have you done?

If I was your brother/ sister what would you tell me?

To me, and I am no Dr, it seems that you have tried your other options. I am in NO position to recommend anything to anyone, but just talk to your surgeon from the heart.

And keep us posted on what happens at the appointment.

David.

-
Last edited by: irishsailsman: Mar 25, 08 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice from both of you. Thank you.

Best of Luck on your recovery, it's really heartening to hear that there may be light at the end of the tunnel for those of us dealing with the pain.

Take it easy for awhile, ;)
Last edited by: francismacomber: Mar 25, 08 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep us posted. I'm always interested in knowing the outcome. So far its looks like you on the right track.

chiro18 / Matt Amman

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the back surgery as well several years ago. Best thing ever. I was in so much pain I was eating my meals and sleeping on the floor in the fetal position. I remember that if I got a solid two hours of uninterrupted sleep, I was doing great.

Recovery was fine, although I did have some foot numbness for several months. I got the go ahead to swim almost right away and within 6-8 weeks was back to running. I've done three IMs since with no issues (other than I'm still slow as hell).
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice-UPDATE SURGERY 4/1 [irishsailsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 weeks tomorrow post Microdiscetomy!

Status report:

Pain in legs: GONE

Loss of strength in Right foot: Back to good, almost 100%

Walking: 3 mile walk everyday (just under an hour, 55minutes or so)

Weight: Not sure exactly, but lost a couple of the 5lbs"ish" I put on waiting for surgery.

Numbness: Occasional. Right calve numb at time late at night (DR says last to go away)

Strangely, I am down at times.
I should feel awesome considering the surgery was so successful. I am pain free. I am walking (like 13 miles my first week, and 20 ,my second week).

I don't know whats up. Mostly I am fine, feeling anxious, and ready to swim as soon as the incision heals 100%. Cycling should be soon after that. Running May or June. BACK IN THE GAME.

But I am out on a walk and out of nowhere, I am like fighting back tears! Where did that come from? I am not a "crier".

oh well. most of the time I am happy. But STIR CRAZY for sure. I am better. But not able to return to work or any normal activity yet due to Dr orders. I feel I could do anything, but I know better.

-
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice-UPDATE SURGERY 4/1 [irishsailsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had L4-L5 discectomy and "smaller" hemilaminectomy (apparently a 1/3 of that lamina could stay!) and lysis of adhesions (scar tissue) at L5-S1 where the disc was less bulged, but tissue had wrapped some nerve.
Is this what you had? (Irishsalesman)
Anyone out there sharing their current rehab protocol or success story!!
Star
Quote Reply
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Advice-UPDATE SURGERY 4/1 [Starstevenson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had two level discectomey. Two massively herniated at S1/L5 and L4/L5-

Patience and work with rehab!! You can make a full comeback brother!!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harder than I thought, been nearly 3 weeks, and I find myself, still wanting to lay down on a firm surface for 20 minutes every 90 minutes. I am still getting the occasional buzzing in BOTH heels, prior to surgery, only had it in my left heal (chalking this up to inflammation) satisfied after nearly 2 years to make the decision for surgery, but REALLY difficulty for me to dream of hitting two 100 mile bike races with over 8,000 feet of climbing😣... Walking is now more normal, with better mechanics, and the coordination is essentially normal now (I figure I had lost 20% of my coordination before the surgery).
Planning to swim with a wetsuit vest and snorkel at 4 weeks, and begin PT at 5-6 weeks...

Shasta summit
4:23 mile
1:59 half mile
21 min 4 mile
7th tour of Tucson mountains (Arizona)
Cat 3 in California!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next