Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post IM Heart Rates really high?
Quote | Reply
Raced IMC end of July, sub 11, 5th IM and have been doing this for a long time. So I am in good shape. My IM went well and was not dramatic. Recovery went well, soarness was limited, plenty of sleep and low life stress. Have been out a couple times each week since the race, taking it easy for sure, 8 min miles run/18 mph on flat roads rides...but my heart rate creeps up and can get up really high.

I have used a HRM for a long time now. I raced my IMC at 135 bpm on average and just got back from a 1 hour ride and I watched my hear rate go into the 160's on a small over pass climb and I was just cruising along. I have tried two different HRM to make sure something is not wrong but they both show the same elevated heart rate.

I recognize IM is stressful on the body but my heart rate seems off. Any insights or comments?
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM Heart Rates really high? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman training can mute your heart rate response in a few different ways.

1 is that your stoke volume gets pretty dam high

But my best theory in having seen this with a few athletes is 2. that without all the training load your sympathetic system gets the upper hand over your parasympathetic system which had been in overdrive due to the high training volume.

What you're seeing isn't all that unusual.
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM Heart Rates really high? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks, every person is different but a month seems long for a sub 40 year old?
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM Heart Rates really high? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Ironman training can mute your heart rate response in a few different ways.

1 is that your stoke volume gets pretty dam high

But my best theory in having seen this with a few athletes is 2. that without all the training load your sympathetic system gets the upper hand over your parasympathetic system which had been in overdrive due to the high training volume.

What you're seeing isn't all that unusual.

Bingo.
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM Heart Rates really high? [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of my HR when racing following recovery or during taper. Seems like after my heart gets some "recovery" from training it get a bit hyper-responsive. Just my observation, nothing medically sound to back that up or any studies.

So your HR I take it is a lot higher than RPM? How does it correlate to power output? Maybe it's just now responding more accurately to stimuli. You might have given up more fitness than you think during recovery and it's response rate has returned to normal. That or energy production is back to normal level (blah..blah...blah... something about mitochondria).

I think Kevin described it more scientifically.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM Heart Rates really high? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the info. Interesting experience none the less and will take it easy for a few more weeks.
Quote Reply