Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Guru Bike Finder Fit Advice
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I had a 'Frame Finder Fit' from Guru at the weekend and have been presented with a number of options from the fit (It was basically a full fit to find the bike and when i've bought one, they'll fit me as per it)

Some of the suggestions are a bit odd IMO, particularly in some suggestions of stem length/angle combined with pad spacers....

From the below, to me it suggests that the best options are the BMC, Quintana Roo or Shiv - but is it safe to assume that all are perfectly fine. 120mm stems seem quite long but i'm new to tri bikes!

Trek SC, Size L: Stem Length 120mm, Stem Angle -6, Pad Spacers 55mm

Felt IA, Size 56: Stem Length 120mm, Stem Angle -6, Pad Spacers 45mm

Scott Plasma 20: Size 56: Stem Length 120mm, Stem Angle -6, Pad Spacers 50mm

BMC TM02, Size L: Stem Length 100mm, Stem Angle -17, Pad Spacers 55mm

Canyon Speedmax, Size L: Stem Length 80mm, Stem Angle +6, Pad Spacers 50mm

Quintana Roo PRFive, Size 56: Stem Length 100mm, Stem Angle -6, Pad Spacers 35mm

Shiv, Size L: Stem Length 110mm, Stem Angle -6, Pad Spacers 30mm

Cheers

http://www.tritriagain.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Post Guru Bike Finder Fit Advice [tritriagain.uk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone... appreciate it's bit of an open question but i'm trying to understand what, if anything works better.... i'm fairly open for choice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have Pad XY (Reach/stack) data?
These results are meaningless for Trek, IA, BMC, Canyon - they can't take normal stems.
So you would be safest with Scott, QR, or Spec if you want to be sure of hitting the target.

But if we know more about the pad location the other bikes would be contenders again.

The long stems and high spacer counts could mean that you should actually be on XL bikes - or could mean that the aerobars on the fit bike are low stack, high setback models that are skewing the output.

So we need either Pad XY (from BB), or Bar XY (which the DFU gives) and clear info on the aerobars (model, setback and min stack)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with cyclenutz, those stem lengths seem a bit excessive, I would wonder what your weight distribution is in relation to the front center.
Your options should be a little more narrow, he's got you all over the place on the front end configuration. And 5cm of spacers under the armpad?? Taller headtube would be more aero efficient than candlesticks down to the basebar.

More helpful to me would be your handlebar X/Y and the saddle X/Y, plus your weight.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post Guru Bike Finder Fit Advice [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks both - appreciate you getting back to me. As I said, I'm a little new to this and was a bit baffled by the varied options, and the stem length particularly. I think I fall in to an odd space, i'm sizing as a 'Large' in most of the above and whilst there were options for XL also, there were some concerns over stand over height - which does make sense.

In terms of me, i'm 178cm and currently weigh around 76Kg, but am actively reducing that - aiming to get to around 73-74Kg (based on the slight paunch in the middle...)

The X/Y data from the fit was:

SX - 164
SY - 734
HX - 516
HY - 638

A Zipp Vuka bar was used with 60mm Pad Stack and an ISM Prologue Saddle with a setback of 19mm.

Given my budget i'm looking more at the Scott Plasma, QR PRFive, Felt B series if i'm honest.... though the QR is nigh on impossible to get in the UK!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that many of the superbikes would work for you, but if you wanted an SC it would be the XL

I was part way through looking at numbers for normal bikes when it occurred to me that you're quite stretched out based on other measurements. Do you have a pic from fit?
Seat position is right at 80deg, so not unusually far forward, but the reach to the pads is pretty high.

Quote Reply
Re: Post Guru Bike Finder Fit Advice [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again - sadly no side on pics as it was just me and the fitter. The only one is the head on from the Guru system - which won't help i guess?

I didn't feel stretched out, we played around quite a bit with moving me back and forth, longer shorter and that position felt pretty good. From memory though the seat was at 78 degrees as when we got to 80 I felt quite tipped forward. I do have a reasonably long torso mind.....

I'm not sure my ability quite befits a super bike anyway :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritriagain.uk wrote:
I didn't feel stretched out, we played around quite a bit with moving me back and forth, longer shorter and that position felt pretty good. From memory though the seat was at 78 degrees as when we got to 80 I felt quite tipped forward. I do have a reasonably long torso mind.....

Being on an Adamo means you're sitting steeper than the nominal STA, more like 80 than 78
where were your elbows relative to the back of the pads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood.

Elbows were back from the pads, i'd say the back of the pads were around 4-5cm - it's hard for me to tell really. My elbows weren't 'just touching' the pads but it's tricky to say exactly where they were - sorry that this doesn't help much! Not being able to see myself from the side, apparently we had a good position with the correct angle for shoulders/elbows etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Cyclenutnz on the XL,, and the stretched out thing. You're 'only' 1780 tall, and not 'big' at 76kg, but your seat height on my calculator indicates you should be at 800mm to top of saddle. Am I close? Curious what crank length is recommended for you?

My point is, you're not that big in any dimension, so something is awry.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post Guru Bike Finder Fit Advice [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were close... 801mm to saddle top.

Cranks were 165mm on the final fit.

Still being a bit lost here, I'm not entirely sure where there is an issue - I thought finally things were good and I'd found my bike selection!

Thanks for your help though - both of you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean they cant take normal stems? I have a BMC TM02 and I would consider it as "normal".

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Post Guru Bike Finder Fit Advice [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assumed they were on about the TM01 with the integrated stem - it was referenced at the same time as the other 'super' bikes in my listing....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritriagain.uk wrote:

Elbows were back from the pads, i'd say the back of the pads were around 4-5cm - it's hard for me to tell really. My elbows weren't 'just touching' the pads but it's tricky to say exactly where they were - sorry that this doesn't help much! Not being able to see myself from the side, apparently we had a good position with the correct angle for shoulders/elbows etc.

that explains things much better. The table below shows how to hit your target padxy with pads in forward setting on Profile bars - which means they can shift back by 30mm via simple adjustments. Which you'll need after the first couple of long rides. I can accept that angles were all in the right ranges - just that the pads being too far up your arms makes the reach seem excessive. Which will cause more rapid shoulder/neck fatigue.

Don't get Zipp aerobars (too time consuming to adjust), or Vision (limited adjustment and too low stack). The bars that come on the Felt are highly adjustable so would be great for you (note that I'm referring to the just released IAx, which is cheaper than the fully integrated one).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much.

Are you saying that my elbows should be nearer to the backs of the pads - i.e. the bulk of my arm should rest over the pad more or less fully? (As per this picture - http://cdn.triathlon.competitor.com/...bin-and-muve-385.jpg)

On that basis should I not be looking at a shorter reach, rather than adjusting the pads?

Apologies, I am a bit of a luddite on some of this tech!

The Felt is a bike that appeals greatly, but the IA10/14 are a bit out of my price range... and the IA16 isn't due until next year. At the moment, based on UK availability, the leading contenders are the Scott Plasma, the Quintana Roo PRFive and the Felt B12 - none of which seem to have an overly adjustable bar, hence enquiring as to the reach/sizing.

Thanks again for your help here, it is much appreciated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That picture of Linsey is a good illustration of where I like pads to be.
The bikes shown earlier are a good size for you but are requiring long stems to get the correct pad position.

Plasma, PRfive and B12 come with very adjustable bars (felt more so), which means you will be able to tweak fairly easily.
If you want to try the position specified in your fit, my suggestion is to do it by moving pads forward, that way it is simple to test how it feels just by moving pads back, instead of changing stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
That picture of Linsey is a good illustration of where I like pads to be.
The bikes shown earlier are a good size for you but are requiring long stems to get the correct pad position.

Plasma, PRfive and B12 come with very adjustable bars (felt more so), which means you will be able to tweak fairly easily.
If you want to try the position specified in your fit, my suggestion is to do it by moving pads forward, that way it is simple to test how it feels just by moving pads back, instead of changing stem.

Great, thanks for the clarification.

I was concerned because, from memory, the pads were fixed to the bar with the ones in the fit. From looking at pictures I can now see that on the Scott and the Felt the pads attach to the extensions - therefore offering the adjustability you mention (and now explaining why you were against the Zipp bar before!)

So, basically, go with the standard stem, rather than something longer and move the arm pads accordingly.

Appreciate all your help.... now to go and buy a bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I finally made a decision... waiting for the turbo trainer to arrive so I can test out the fit options.

Ever so slightly in love with my first tri bike.... A 2015 Scott Plasma 20

Quote Reply