Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post-race sickness (70.3 and up)
Quote | Reply
When I race a 70.3 or longer, I cross the finish line and almost immediately feel sick, I want to throw up, generally need to sit and / or lay down for 30+ minutes before I feel well enough to start conversing with others and take down some fluids. Don't want to talk to anyone, don't want to celebrate, and the smell of any food (yesterday, it was bacon pizza) gives me dry heaves. It sucks, I'm on the board for my club and people almost immediately want to chat it up post race and here I am a party pooper asking people to leave me alone.

The funny thing is, I'm the ONLY one that does this amongst the people I know. I've raced with 50+ friends this year at different events and every single time they start celebrating their race immediately, and I go lay down and try not to puke.

I did suffer a mild heat stroke earlier this year but have managed myself well I feel so far, and this problem as been consistent since 2014. I race by power on the bike, and I am big on managing my heart rate on both the bike and run.

So ST tell me, anyone else have this issue? Causes? Am I doing something wrong that makes me feel like this, maybe spending too much time at a "high heart rate" based on my fitness?

Here is a little data from yesterday's 70.3 for reference

2 hours pre-race:
cliff bar + banana + drink (2 scoop heed) (500 cal) food was in the system 90 minutes before start, I finished my drink 45 minutes prior to start

15 minutes to start:
1 salt pill (hammer endurolyte)

56 miles bike (average HR 142, .86 IF, 1.04 variability index, 50% zone 3, 50% zone 4):
Race bottle (700 cal, 870mg sodium, 144g carb, 39g sugar, 315mg pot, 100mg caffeine, 4g protein)
4 bottles of water
1 pack GU energy chews (80 cal, caffeine, little this little that, something NOT liquid)
3 salt pills

13.1 run (average HR 153, 26% zone 3, 71% zone 4, 4% zone 5):
1 pack GU energy chews, munched throughout the run
1 small station cup of heed every 1.5 miles, little water if I was feeling the heat
1 gel at mile 4

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Sep 11, 17 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Post-race sickness (70.3 and up) [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't pay attention to heartrate - I race by feel. But what used to screw me up is that I didn't drink Gatorade during training but then did drink it on race day. So is there anything you're taking in on race day that you don't during training? (Heed/gel/energy chews)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, if I ate all the stuff you said you ate, I would be sick also.

All I used for my 3/4 IM LC at worlds was water on the bike and my carbboom gels. On the run just coke and pretzels.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't feel like I wanna throw up, but I need a good 15 minutes of laying down & drinking at the end of most Oly+ tri's that I've pushed in.

Talking's viable but only a few words.

I think heat is a key component, at the end of a hot or hard training session I can get the same feeling, some cold water & fan time normally sorts it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Post-race sickness (70.3 and up) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@gellerche - nothing new on race day. I train with Heed and my race bottle is heed and hammer gel dissolved into water. Solids make me feel sick while I race so the 99% liquid diet has been staple in feeling good during the race. Only thing out of the ordinary was that gel on mile 4. I took off out of T2 without any salt, so I took a gel as a precautionary to replenish what I forgot. It was peanut butter chocolate, only kind at the aid station and absolutely disgusting. While I can tolerate them, I don't like gels straight.

@H2O - if you eliminate the breakfast and that gross mile 4 gel, it's really not too out of the ordinary is it? Liquid nutrition and water. The chews just switch it up a bit, and I like they have caffeine, but aren't a relied upon source of nutrition for the day. I just really don't like to eat, liquids have been successful for me in terms of how I feel during a race. My caloric intake on the bike seems to have a sweet spot with my body of about 800 calories or so per 56 miles, and I feel good while I race. It's immediately post race that everything collapses. In what way do you think I overdid it, in seriousness?

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
@H2O - In what way do you think I overdid it, in seriousness?

Dehydration/heat, and/or you just pushed too hard.

Not kidding.
Quote Reply