Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post-Calf Injury Running Plan?
Quote | Reply
As some of you know from other threads where I requested -- and received excellent -- advice on building up running fitness after years of not running. I started up last fall and built very slowly. I initially ran for 5 minutes, and then added no more than 10% per run, running every other day. Once the runs got a bit longer I limited myself to 1 minute longer per run, still every other day. After months, I reached the point where I was running 4-6 days a week, 30 minutes to an hour per run. Most runs were between an 8:30 and 9:30/mi pace, usually right around 9:00. And I ran by time, not distance, shooting for a sort-of-BarryP plan -- two or three 30 minute, two 45 minute, and one hour run per week. The training culminated in a successful 10 mile race in mid-April.

Shortly before the race, however, I began experiencing pain in my left calf. I could run on it, and did, but for about a month before the race I felt the pain every step I took, walking or running. Sometimes it was a bit annoying, sometimes it hurt a lot. I struggle to describe it well -- I guess the best would be to say that it felt like a bad bruise feels the first few days after you get it, only it never got any better. If it was in my shin instead of my calf, I'd have said it was shin splints. Another way to describe it would be as a small, super-tight and painful knot, located in my lower calf.

The race was on a Sunday, and I went for a light run the following Thursday. The pain, which had improved some post-race, got worse. Because I am an idiot, I nevertheless ran 4 slow miles on it the following Tuesday. It didn't feel great when running, but it was tolerable. It, however, felt much worse afterwards. This was two weeks ago. Having (finally) learned my lesson, I've not run since. And I've been pain-free since Saturday. So I think it's time to run on it again. The question is how far to run today, whether to go back to running only ever-day-for a while, and how slowly to build back-up.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Calf Injury Running Plan? [New Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just for good measure, I got up from my desk shortly after typing my original post and my calf was tight again. No pain this time -- just tightness and discomfort, both of which went away after walking for about five minutes. Not sure if this means running today isn't in the cards, nor what it should mean for how I try to build back up.

Thanks again for listening, and for any suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly it's probably not "healed". Obviously everyone is different but the knot in the calf has happened to me on a few occasions. Usually when I decide "hey, intervals sound like a good idea today". It takes me going to the Chiropractor, not the bend the back, pop some bones kind of Chiro, but someone who specializes in sports related injuries. I read your post and texted him asking what he would call my injury. He replied "basically adhesion's in the muscles which inhibit the proper function". After I go a couple of rounds with him I'm good to go until I do another dumb running thing.
Before trying to run I'd say see a therapist, get it properly diagnosed and hopefully fixed.

trav

Quote | Reply
Agreed. I unknowingly tore a calf muscle (while swimming with my little son!?!?!). Didnt take the right precautions, as i thought it was only muscular tightness. 14 months later, i still have issues with it on an "on and off" basis. My advice, take it very conservative with the calf. If you blow it up, it will take months if not years to heal.
So, my suggestion would be to run 15 minutes. Stretch tons, foam roll... then build up from there.
I am going through the same process now...
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Calf Injury Running Plan? [travisml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, travisml . Here's hoping that's not right. But in light of the tightness earlier today, I am concerned it is. I guess we'll find out whenever I get up the guts to head out for a few miles, be it today or later in the week!

What does your chiro do for it? Massage of some sort?
Last edited by: New Guy: May 5, 15 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Calf Injury Running Plan? [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks also, ejd_mil Sorry to hear about your issues, and I hope you are on the mend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Guy wrote:
Thanks, travisml . Here's hoping that's not right. But in light of the tightness earlier today, I am concerned it is. I guess we'll find out whenever I get up the guts to head out for a few miles, be it today or later in the week!

What does your chiro do for it? Massage of some sort?

I wouldn't call it a massage because when he hits that knot it hurts like hell. But yes it is a rubbing it out kind of thing. Good news is I didn't have to stop running. I just have to be very careful with my pace and not try to get too much intensity.

trav

Quote | Reply
I had a pretty bad calf injury similar to what you experienced. When you think you are ready, wait another week before doing anything.

I did a brain numbingly awful routine, started with running for 30 seconds, walking for 30. I did that a few times, about 1-1/2 miles to start. I didnt even really check pace, then moved it to 45 seconds/30 seconds. Just do that and keep ramping up the run portion. It took me about a month and i got to 10 mins of run and 1 minute walking, for a marathon.

That was the first time I had a problem, in my right leg. I had it happen about 6 weeks before my Ironman this year, I didnt run much at all before it, but did a lot of water running. You look silly, but it does at least keep some fitness. I then ran the first 20 miles of the IM marathon with no issues, before I blew up with other issues (nutrition).

I also would recommend looking into using Hoka shoes. I am in the Cliftons right now and love them, mid drop (5mm) and they cushion the impact that helps exacerbate calf injuries.
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Calf Injury Running Plan? [patflynnca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, patflynnca.

I ran for 14 minutes tonight at a 9:00 min/mi pace. Some discomfort, but no pain. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

I already run in Bondi 3s and am considering Clifton as my next pair. They've treated me well, despite the injury. I think my big mistake was experimenting with Altras. I can't tell you how much I LOVE the wide toe box -- my one issue with the Bondis is that they are a bit narrow in the toe -- but one in the Altras seemed to exacerbate my calf more than every run in the Bondis.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero drop shoes can be unforgiving to calf damage irrespective of platform ie sole thickness..

Have you considered mixing with a more conventional drop shoe.. example; Asics still live around 11 - 13, Mizuno also around 10mm.

I have had to steer clear of my flatter shoes when i have had minor calf niggles.. eg kinvara... when they clear up i have been able to mix them up again depending on pace and distance..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a localized calf strain that was helped by taping 3 of my toes together. Not sure if yur problem is at all like mine, but just an idea to consider.

Paul
Quote Reply