Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Positional Vertigo
Quote | Reply
I've had an on going problem with vertigo on the tail end of a ride that extends for a period of time after I'm done. It only happens on my TT bike. Never when I ride my road bike.

I have tried all kinds of different strategies to fix it, fueling, hydration, breathing.....the only thing that seems to correct it is jacking up the front end. That leads me to conclude that it is associated with me craning my neck to look down the road. I do ride with frameless glasses and look out the top of my eyes for the most part.

So my main question is, is it easier on the neck to look down the road while riding at a steeper STA? I seems like a more open hip angle (at the same drop) would put less strain on the neck.

I ride pretty slack now but have a bunch of stems and plenty of room to go steep on my saddle and post. I lose nothing by trying it but would like some input before I start swapping out parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Positional Vertigo [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get occasional bouts of vertigo from my ears, but I do sometimes get a little dizzy when my neck is craned all the way right or left ... and I just tried to extend it upwards to the limit and felt the same thing. It seems like it might be coming from my eyes -- sort of a nystagmus effect where my eyes won't quite settle on a point when they're at the limits of their range. If that's the case, it shouldn't take much of an adjustment to take your eyes from the maximum position to something less at the limit.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google BPV easily treated with a series of movements which are designed to clear crystals from the inner ear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should really go see a physical therapist who is actually trained in vestibular rehab. If it is BPPV, and it doesn't necessarily sound like it is, it can actually cause more problems if you attempt to treat it yourself and do not do the maneuver properly. Sometimes the otoconia or 'crystals' can be put into a different canal which will actually make matters worse. Obviously I cant tell you what is going on just by hearing your symptoms but based on what you are describing it sounds like you are having more of a cervical issue where having your head in that position for long periods of time the receptors in the neck may be giving faulty information to the brain and giving you bouts of dizziness. Any good vestibular PT should be able to run you through a good thorough exam and find the specific cause. Most of these issues can be taken care of in a handful of visits. Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
That leads me to conclude that it is associated with me craning my neck to look down the road.

Does it happen quickly or progressively when you look up? How about when you're not on your bike, like sitting in a chair or standing and look up in a similar fashion?

http://www.medtechsportblog.com
Quote Reply
Re: Positional Vertigo [medtechsportblg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
medtechsportblg wrote:
svennn wrote:
That leads me to conclude that it is associated with me craning my neck to look down the road.

Does it happen quickly or progressively when you look up? How about when you're not on your bike, like sitting in a chair or standing and look up in a similar fashion?

It happens progressively. It does not happen at any time other than when I'm in the aero bars. My road bike is fine and does not happen at all sitting, running, or lying down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
It happens progressively. It does not happen at any time other than when I'm in the aero bars. My road bike is fine and does not happen at all sitting, running, or lying down.

Interesting. It might be worth discussing with your doctor at the next chance you can. It does not sound like the benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) that can be corrected with maneuvers. Do you notice any other peculiarities like numbness or weakness anywhere?

http://www.medtechsportblog.com
Quote Reply