Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portland Oregon Swim Options
Quote | Reply
Next week I have a meeting in Hillsboro on Wed. Fly in Tue PM and out very early morning on Thu PM. I am hoping to do a swim on Wed PM and work around traffic. I am thinking that staying downtown gives me the best shot, so fly in Tue PM, overnite at hotel downtown, then early morning swim drive to work or evening swim, and then early Thu AM go to PDX airport. This keeps me on reverse commute (I assume) wrt to traffic and gives me the best shot of finding a pool in town. Alternatively stay out by airport....any pools near there? Input is appreciated. Life on the road is a lot easier for training when you can just do all your running on the road, but run is not happening for me now!
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Oregon Swim Options [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a guest pass at 24 hour fitness downtown will work? It will give you options on timing.

That, or Villa Sport over by Nike on the way back from Hillsboro. Fantastic pool. Outdoor and in.

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Portland State has a 25yd pool, maybe some PDX resident can chip in about its quality. Has been 10 years since I lived there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was there a few weeks ago for the Slowtwitch Road Show at Athletes Lounge and used the LA Fitness downtown. the day pass was good for 24 hours. it was a three-lane indoor pool, no backstroke flags if you work other strokes in, but it was better than nothing. one plus is there is a sauna in the locker room to help get rid of the nasty chlorine stench.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev-

Too bad you're swimming on Wednesday morning - that's when I do my long run :)

I'd recommend the MAC, but Wednesday morning the bulkhead is down, so it's short course yards/meters. Bah.

I'd recommend hitting the Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center - it should be reasonably close to your customer in Hillsboro. Here's a link for the schedule:

http://www.thprd.org/...atics/aquatic-center

Keep in mind that driving out to Hillsboro from downtown is pretty much awful, unless you go pretty early in the morning. Your commute back on Wednesday afternoon will not be fun.

Also, if you feel like getting a ride in, you're welcome to borrow my Air Friday (probably will fit better) or CX bike (might be stretch).

You're welcome to join Mary and me for beer/pizza on Wednesday evening down on NW 23rd...

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Oregon Swim Options [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Dev-

Too bad you're swimming on Wednesday morning - that's when I do my long run :)

I'd recommend the MAC, but Wednesday morning the bulkhead is down, so it's short course yards/meters. Bah.

I'd recommend hitting the Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center - it should be reasonably close to your customer in Hillsboro. Here's a link for the schedule:

http://www.thprd.org/...atics/aquatic-center

Keep in mind that driving out to Hillsboro from downtown is pretty much awful, unless you go pretty early in the morning. Your commute back on Wednesday afternoon will not be fun.

Also, if you feel like getting a ride in, you're welcome to borrow my Air Friday (probably will fit better) or CX bike (might be stretch).

You're welcome to join Mary and me for beer/pizza on Wednesday evening down on NW 23rd...

I guess you are saying that it is a disaster getting out to Hillboro in the AM and I should stay near there and then drive back to Portland in the evening (disaster commute 1 way?). Then we could certainly meet for dinner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are pools near the airport. I've swum here. SwimmersGuide has it listed for $4 which sounds about right.
http://hs.parkrose.k12.or.us/Parkrose-Facilities/Swimming-Pool.html
you'll need to swim 5-6 am most likely.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heading out to Hillsboro from downtown after 6:30 am is a disaster in the making.

I'd actually recommend staying out in Hillsboro area for Tuesday night and then in NW Portland on Vaughn Street at one of a couple of hotels for Wednesday evening.

Still a pain driving back in, but NW Portland is fun.

We can coordinate dinner Wednesday depending on how your business plans align.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Oregon Swim Options [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Heading out to Hillsboro from downtown after 6:30 am is a disaster in the making.

I'd actually recommend staying out in Hillsboro area for Tuesday night and then in NW Portland on Vaughn Street at one of a couple of hotels for Wednesday evening.

OK here is the tentative plan....fly in to PDX airport Tue PM, drive to Hillsboro, stay in hotel there, am swim at the Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center early morning, work in Hillsboro, gridlock commute into downtown PDX, dinner with owtbac86 to shame me into getting a Dimond and then drive to PDX airport and drop of rental car and stay at a hotel near airport with a shuttle bus to terminal for AM flight. Does that work? I believe the actual work day ends around 5 pm based on prelim agenda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:

OK here is the tentative plan....fly in to PDX airport Tue PM, drive to Hillsboro, stay in hotel there, am swim at the Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center early morning, work in Hillsboro, gridlock commute into downtown PDX, dinner with owtbac86 to shame me into getting a Dimond and then drive to PDX airport and drop of rental car and stay at a hotel near airport with a shuttle bus to terminal for AM flight. Does that work? I believe the actual work day ends around 5 pm based on prelim agenda

Yep...that works. If you're done at 5pm, we can plan on meeting for dinner sometime between 6:30 and 7:30 - that should give you plenty of time to make it into NW.

I'll be coming off a little over 16 miles of running and a calorie deficit, so good thing the pitchers are 50% off on Wednesdays. :)

Also gives me a week to work on my shaming techniques...

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: May 2, 16 20:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only transgression you're committing with this itinerary is not baking in a run at Forest Park. was blown away by the endless miles of trails. just up the road from Athletes Lounge (NW Vaughan St vicinity). trail running at its finest right in the downtown area...mind blown.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Oregon Swim Options [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep,

NW is where to live.

VALHALLA wrote:
the only transgression you're committing with this itinerary is not baking in a run at Forest Park. was blown away by the endless miles of trails. just up the road from Athletes Lounge (NW Vaughan St vicinity). trail running at its finest right in the downtown area...mind blown.
Quote Reply