Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles
Quote | Reply
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles.... but my niece put goggleS on her Christmas list. She used to be a competitive swimmer when she was a kid (she just turned 18). She's a lifeguard and still swims laps, because she likes it. She doesn't do tris. So I wanna buy her a nice pair of goggles. I was thinking the tyr goggleS that you can customize would be nice. But would people that swim only in a pool want tinited or mirrored or clear lenses? What are some other choices for really really nice goggles? Help me out here. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she's indoors, then clear would be preferable. IMO, it's so dark and cave-like compared to being outside.

As to brand, I think what fits is something that has an adjustable nose piece in addition to just a strap does better than a one-piece gasket.

Wag More, Bark Less
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use tinted goggles in the pool. If I didn’t need prescription goggles I would probably get one of Roka’s tinted or mirrored offerings.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always liked mirrored goggles, more for the looks than any other reason. Never found them too dark, but I also swam in a very well lit pool. Bigger thing is that I always hated bulky goggles, and those without adjustable nosepieces.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think tint or clear really matters too much. If you want to get her a nice gift that she probably wouldn't purchase herself, check out Sables RS101's

Going nowhere in the pool? We can help.



Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles.... but my niece put goggleS on her Christmas list. She used to be a competitive swimmer when she was a kid (she just turned 18). She's a lifeguard and still swims laps, because she likes it. She doesn't do tris. So I wanna buy her a nice pair of goggles. I was thinking the tyr goggleS that you can customize would be nice. But would people that swim only in a pool want tinited or mirrored or clear lenses? What are some other choices for really really nice goggles? Help me out here. Thanks

Goggles is a tough one as fit as so important. Personally Aqua Sphere's Kayenne small fit / ladies fit have fit me the best all time but I know they WON'T be for everyone. However I pay keen attention to my peers, what they wear and how often they adjust and clean, and defog goggles during rest periods. Given that, I think Special Ops by TYR tend to do very good job of fitting a variety of people and coming in some cool colors as well. I have used Specials Ops myself and I really like them as well, probably more than the Kayenne if just pool swimming for the simple reason that I don't need to deal with the hecklers telling me I look like Faris Al Sultan.


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk | NEW HED JET 6+
Wheelset - $1049 or less


Blogs: QUICK Air Relax Travel Case Review | Q2 Blood Test Results | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Roka goggles
https://www.roka.com/collections/goggles

I can give you 25% off Roka Sunglasses! Message me for details! Currently 1 code left! Code must be be redeemed by December 31!
Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like clear or blue for indoors.

If she swam competitively, she likely has preferences. Ask her what type she likes.

If she prefers swedes, get a few in different colours.

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kayennes or special ops? For a pure swimmer who's just in the pool?

Wow. Just wow.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
friesen wrote:
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles.... but my niece put goggleS on her Christmas list. She used to be a competitive swimmer when she was a kid (she just turned 18). She's a lifeguard and still swims laps, because she likes it. She doesn't do tris. So I wanna buy her a nice pair of goggles. I was thinking the tyr goggleS that you can customize would be nice. But would people that swim only in a pool want tinited or mirrored or clear lenses? What are some other choices for really really nice goggles? Help me out here. Thanks

Goggles is a tough one as fit as so important. Personally Aqua Sphere's Kayenne small fit / ladies fit have fit me the best all time but I know they WON'T be for everyone. However I pay keen attention to my peers, what they wear and how often they adjust and clean, and defog goggles during rest periods. Given that, I think Special Ops by TYR tend to do very good job of fitting a variety of people and coming in some cool colors as well. I have used Specials Ops myself and I really like them as well, probably more than the Kayenne if just pool swimming for the simple reason that I don't need to deal with the hecklers telling me I look like Faris Al Sultan.

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone bought me 10 pairs of the cheapie Sporti Sweeds from Swimoutlet in orange I'd be happy. That would be about $30.

I wear the orange everywhere now. Indoor, outdoor, open water, bright or dark outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, the best thing would be for her to try out a bunch. A good test is to push one lens of the goggles against your face and see how long it stays. Different people simply have different face shapes.
If there is a good (or even mediocre) swim store in your area, get her a gift certificate. Then once she finds what she likes, she can stick with that model until the company effs it up. Just like running shoes. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
friesen wrote:
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles.... but my niece put goggleS on her Christmas list. She used to be a competitive swimmer when she was a kid (she just turned 18). She's a lifeguard and still swims laps, because she likes it. She doesn't do tris. So I wanna buy her a nice pair of goggles. I was thinking the tyr goggleS that you can customize would be nice. But would people that swim only in a pool want tinited or mirrored or clear lenses? What are some other choices for really really nice goggles? Help me out here. Thanks


Goggles is a tough one as fit as so important. Personally Aqua Sphere's Kayenne small fit / ladies fit have fit me the best all time but I know they WON'T be for everyone. However I pay keen attention to my peers, what they wear and how often they adjust and clean, and defog goggles during rest periods. Given that, I think Special Ops by TYR tend to do very good job of fitting a variety of people and coming in some cool colors as well. I have used Specials Ops myself and I really like them as well, probably more than the Kayenne if just pool swimming for the simple reason that I don't need to deal with the hecklers telling me I look like Faris Al Sultan.

The Special Ops TYR link goes to the Aqua Sphere. Thanks for the recommendation on the Kayenne small fit. I need a narrower nose bridge as I wear the Jr. Hydrospex Speedo for years but would like a bigger field of vision so I will give the Kayenne a try.
John
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles

How are those two things related?

Personally, I have been using untinted Speedo Sprint goggles for the past 30 years or so, both in the pool and in open water swimming.

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because when you're swimming 2.4 miles at 7 am, I don't want clear goggles
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
Because when you're swimming 2.4 miles at 7 am, I don't want clear goggles

Why not? No matter where the sun is, you should be able to breathe without staring at the sun. You should be able to sight ahead of you without staring at the sun (if the sun is directly where you want to go, just aim toward the sun). I find that I'd rather be able to see everything clearly than to block out the sun.

I guess if you are doing a point-to-point 2.4 mile swim directly north or directly south (direction depending on which side you breathe on), it can get annoying. Are there many of those uni-direction IM swims?

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For early morning swims with some chop and not awesome buoys, I’ve definitely had situations where the glare was such that I couldn’t sight the buoy properly with clear goggles.
Also, outside training, it can be painful doing anything but free with clear goggles.
Indoors, I can’t imagine wearing anything but clear, or maybe amber if I wore Swedes. These days, I swim in relatively dark pools, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
friesen wrote:
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles


How are those two things related?

Personally, I have been using untinted Speedo Sprint goggles for the past 30 years or so, both in the pool and in open water swimming.

Sometimes very tough to swim outdoors especially in a pool with a white bottom with clear lenses. I can swim indoors with tinted. So, I only buy one type of goggle.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I don't need to deal with the hecklers telling me I look like Faris Al Sultan.
Oh my.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I don't need to deal with the hecklers telling me I look like Faris Al Sultan.
Oh my.

The correct phrase these days is "wow just wow"

You're welcome.

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
friesen wrote:
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles.... but my niece put goggleS on her Christmas list. She used to be a competitive swimmer when she was a kid (she just turned 18). She's a lifeguard and still swims laps, because she likes it. She doesn't do tris. So I wanna buy her a nice pair of goggles. I was thinking the tyr goggleS that you can customize would be nice. But would people that swim only in a pool want tinited or mirrored or clear lenses? What are some other choices for really really nice goggles? Help me out here. Thanks


Goggles is a tough one as fit as so important. Personally Aqua Sphere's Kayenne small fit / ladies fit have fit me the best all time but I know they WON'T be for everyone. However I pay keen attention to my peers, what they wear and how often they adjust and clean, and defog goggles during rest periods. Given that, I think Special Ops by TYR tend to do very good job of fitting a variety of people and coming in some cool colors as well. I have used Specials Ops myself and I really like them as well, probably more than the Kayenne if just pool swimming for the simple reason that I don't need to deal with the hecklers telling me I look like Faris Al Sultan.


The Special Ops TYR link goes to the Aqua Sphere. Thanks for the recommendation on the Kayenne small fit. I need a narrower nose bridge as I wear the Jr. Hydrospex Speedo for years but would like a bigger field of vision so I will give the Kayenne a try.
John

Sorry about that. Sounds like the Aqua Sphere were more apropos anyway. Hopefully they are working out for you - I definitely like the enhanced field of vision for open water!!!


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk | NEW HED JET 6+
Wheelset - $1049 or less


Blogs: QUICK Air Relax Travel Case Review | Q2 Blood Test Results | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Kayennes or special ops? For a pure swimmer who's just in the pool?

Wow. Just wow.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
friesen wrote:
So me being a triathlete, I always wear tinted or mirrored goggles.... but my niece put goggleS on her Christmas list. She used to be a competitive swimmer when she was a kid (she just turned 18). She's a lifeguard and still swims laps, because she likes it. She doesn't do tris. So I wanna buy her a nice pair of goggles. I was thinking the tyr goggleS that you can customize would be nice. But would people that swim only in a pool want tinited or mirrored or clear lenses? What are some other choices for really really nice goggles? Help me out here. Thanks


Goggles is a tough one as fit as so important. Personally Aqua Sphere's Kayenne small fit / ladies fit have fit me the best all time but I know they WON'T be for everyone. However I pay keen attention to my peers, what they wear and how often they adjust and clean, and defog goggles during rest periods. Given that, I think Special Ops by TYR tend to do very good job of fitting a variety of people and coming in some cool colors as well. I have used Specials Ops myself and I really like them as well, probably more than the Kayenne if just pool swimming for the simple reason that I don't need to deal with the hecklers telling me I look like Faris Al Sultan.

I know I know, sacrilegious... but seriously, they are so much easier on the eyes. Buttery soft gaskets on both :)


Save: $20 on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec| 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | Best $50 Indoor Cycling Desk | NEW HED JET 6+
Wheelset - $1049 or less


Blogs: QUICK Air Relax Travel Case Review | Q2 Blood Test Results | Why Latex Bikes Tubes | Vittoria Corsa Speed Aero Data | Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't personally use them, but on a college swim team with about 40 swimmers, I'd say around 30-35 wear the Speedo Vanquishers, whether it be the women's version or the men's version.

I used to be on them forever but have gone to Roka F1 goggles since discovering them three years ago. Very similar to the Vanquishers but just fit me ever so slightly better than the Vanquishers.

I use mirrored but don't have a big preference to that or clear goggles. Wouldn't recommend tinted for indoor pool swimming though. Use tinted for outdoor pool swimming in the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [CVH1296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two good choices are the Roka F1 in Clear Mirror (light enough for indoors, but look better than just clear lenses), or the MP Exceed goggles (I use the blue lenses for indoor): https://www.swimoutlet.com/...8141504/?color=50204

Both are comfortable enough to train in, but are the lower profile that competitive swimmers are used to.


__________________________________________________
Powered by: Hat Tip - the power of thanks
http://hattip.com http://locations.hattip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [CVH1296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CVH1296 wrote:
I don't personally use them, but on a college swim team with about 40 swimmers, I'd say around 30-35 wear the Speedo Vanquishers, whether it be the women's version or the men's version.

I used to be on them forever but have gone to Roka F1 goggles since discovering them three years ago. Very similar to the Vanquishers but just fit me ever so slightly better than the Vanquishers.

I use mirrored but don't have a big preference to that or clear goggles. Wouldn't recommend tinted for indoor pool swimming though. Use tinted for outdoor pool swimming in the summer.

+1. The Vanquishers fit a wide variety of faces really well (including those with a high nose bridge).

Of note, they also come in a "Junior" size, that actually fits even better for those with smaller eye-sockets.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swimmers. Talk to me about goggles [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, goggles are really personal. Can you ask her which ones she likes?

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply

Prev Next