Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool running
Quote | Reply
I "think" I'm suffering from a bit of peroneal tendonitis, so I haven't been running for a few weeks.
A few days ago in the pool at work, there was a guy doing some sort of kick boxing practice and as the pool is only 12x6m and belly button deep, It dawned on me that I could run in it.

So I did, for about 15 minutes, with no pain, but I was knackered when I finished :D it felt like I'd just ran a half marathon.

Does anyone have any tips? or is it just a case of get in and run?

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pool running [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to do this for about 6 weeks when I developed a stress fracture in 2013. It's tough, no doubt. I found 30min of water running left me pretty worn out, if I was able to keep focus and effort level high. Based on my experience, it works pretty well to maintain or even gain some additional run fitness.

Get a belt that will allow you to float. Your feet shouldn't hit the bottom of the pool. Get water proof earphones to deal with the mind numbing boredom. Enjoy!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympic medalist Deena Kastor used pool running to keep in shape while recovering from injuries before her top marathons.

http://coachdeanhebert.wordpress.com/...od-for-real-runners/
Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Pool running [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
I had to do this for about 6 weeks when I developed a stress fracture in 2013. It's tough, no doubt. I found 30min of water running left me pretty worn out, if I was able to keep focus and effort level high. Based on my experience, it works pretty well to maintain or even gain some additional run fitness.

Get a belt that will allow you to float. Your feet shouldn't hit the bottom of the pool. Get water proof earphones to deal with the mind numbing boredom. Enjoy!

I found pool running where my feet touched to be much more beneficial than no touching. Similarly, I found it better in shallower water than deeper (Max depth was 4 ft).

I think it does depend in the injury. Touching the bottom would not be good for a stress Fx, for example.

If you do run touching the bottom, make sure you have something on your feet or you will develop blisters very quickly.

Get a waterproof iPod shuffle and headphones and have at it. I preferred podcasts to music, but that is a personal preference.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply