Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Poll: Flip turn etiquette
Quote | Reply

Assume you are sharing a crowded lane, with a swimmer 5 seconds or less behind you. What is the correct way to turn A, B or C? ... or D -- something else completely.

I know which way I (strive) to turn, but I've seen it all, and been in enough collisions or near misses that I'd like to settle this once and for all.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B is where you should turn.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they of similar skill? They flip turning? If so B for me, if they suck then A, I make the assessment as the swim goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends where you are in the train of swimmers and how close you are. If you're in the front of the lane, going A allows someone right behind you to go B and not block the 3rd swimmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah if I've got room to do A, I will. If not, then B.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leading the lane is usually somewhere between a and b. Middle of in the lline b. Last in the lane can be c ( assuming the lane leader isn't catching up).

Also push off deep so it doesn't matter all that much.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Among "real" swimmers in a lane with 3 or more, lead will drift left to do A more or less, and everyone else will do B. The last person may do C if they want.

I frequently swim lead, and so I tend to drift left when the lane is clear. I think this has negatively impacted my ability to swim straight in open water. That might be an argument for doing C.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely B. Though the above post which says that a team uses all 3 options during practice is accurate. For most applications, B is best.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A if available, if not then B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do A or B, depending on how much room the person behind me gave. I never do C unless I am the last person in the lane. Some people just always do C though...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A or B.

You will be forced to do B (and even C) if you are right on the toes of the guy/girl in front of you, since you'll have to land to their right.

I myself prefer A in an open pool circle swim since it forces me to acknowledge any new swimmer who's trying to alert me that they are entering by standing there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the time B but if you gotta go C then you gotta go deep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always do A so I don't have to push off at an angle, which means I start drifting left at the flags. So far no collisions...
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Leading the lane is usually somewhere between a and b. Middle of in the lline b. Last in the lane can be c ( assuming the lane leader isn't catching up).

Also push off deep so it doesn't matter all that much.

Agree, this really shouldn't be a discussion. I was taught to push off deep, under the person behind you, right after I learned to flip at age 7. This is also much FASTER in that it avoids the turbulent surface water. You don't know how close the person behind you is, and pushing off on the surface on the right side or middle risks a collision.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the analogy of the priest complaining to the people in the church, about the people not showing up for church. Everyone here knows not to do C, yet so many people keep doing it :)

You get to know you're lane mates and know who you need to give extra room at the wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never know any of this so thank you.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B is the right answer.
Exceptions:

1) A is the right answer if you are leading a butterfly, backstroke or breaststroke set and sharing a lane.
2) A is the right answer if you are trying to pass a slower swimmer at the wall.
3) C is the right answer if you are getting passed by someone at the wall.
4) C is also the right answer if you are trying to pass someone at the wall, there is no-one close behind you, and the person you are trying to pass (incorrectly) opted for b or a.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 27, 17 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B, but if I am trying to pass someone I stop and do a U turn before the wall as the person goes all the way to the wall, I come out in front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are the lead swimmer and no one is swimming toward you, you can move to the middle of the lane whenever you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a flip turn?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
What's a flip turn?
^^^ this.

As near as I can tell, its a way to nearly drown once every 25 yards. And just makes you a slower triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Flip turn etiquette [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A or B depending on the distance to the swimmer ahead and behind.
Quote Reply

Prev Next