Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polarized training plan question
Quote | Reply
I've been trying polarized training this winter. I've been doing 2 VO2Max sessions a week (4x8x2 style intervals), and the rest has been easy z2 riding/skiing (and trying to get long rides/skis in when I can). What this has meant is that I haven't really done anything above high Z4 power all winter. I'd like to get back into form for group riding and around here there are lots of ~30s hills that I have to go full gas on (I'm overweight).
I'm wondering what the best way to get used to these efforts again. My plan was to do them twice a week on my longer Z2 rides, but make sure I have lots of rest in between >20min between efforts. Is this a reasonable plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized training plan question [AngrySaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you consider VO2 Max: 120% FTP? Are you doing any intervals at FTP or Sweet Spot?
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized training plan question [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No FTP or sweetspot intervals. PowerTap has been taking their sweet time repairing my hub since December so I've been going off heart rate*... The training session I've been doing the most has been 4*8min (2 min rest) such that by the end, I can't do another 8 minutes at that effort level. From what I used to be able to do, I think the 4*8 minutes are around 110% of FTP.

*I mostly just use the heart rate as a warning that I'm not rested if I can't get my heart rate up, so it's mostly RPE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, those are 4x 8' intervals with 2' recovery? Assume you picked those up from Seiler's presentations? How does that session fit into your season plan? B/c if you're doing those now, you don't have anywhere to grow. Maybe back off to 4' (adjust intensity) and re-build up?

I think the 8' intervals probably push your threshold power, but you're right that they won't give you great jump. I think adding in 20"-30" bursts during long rides is a great idea. Heck, 20' could probably be shortened to 5'. You'll probably get used to them quickly, and they should help your aerobic fitness as well. YMMV -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's tough w/o PM. I'm currently doing 3 rides/week:
-VO2: 10 intervals of 30sec on/30 sec off
-2x20 min @FTP
-Longer ride with some shorter FTP efforts
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized training plan question [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
those are 4x 8' intervals with 2' recovery? Assume you picked those up from Seiler's presentations
Correct and correct.

I've been shying away from anything shorter than 8 minutes because I feel like historically 5x5' type efforts really caused me to start peaking, which I don't really want to do right now. I've stuck with the 4x8's a lot longer than I planned because my plan was "4x8's until I get my PowerTap back, then I'll do a test to see if they helped", but it just keeps dragging on and on. (I was supposed to have it a couple of weeks ago, now it's looking like next week, but who knows...)

I've been giving this a try mostly as a test. My FTP has stagnated in the past ~3 years so I thought I'd try something new and see how it went. I would normally do lots of sweetspot in the winter slowly increasing the amount of time in sweetspot.
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized training plan question [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Just to be clear, those are 4x 8' intervals with 2' recovery? Assume you picked those up from Seiler's presentations? How does that session fit into your season plan? B/c if you're doing those now, you don't have anywhere to grow. Maybe back off to 4' (adjust intensity) and re-build up?

I think the 8' intervals probably push your threshold power, but you're right that they won't give you great jump. I think adding in 20"-30" bursts during long rides is a great idea. Heck, 20' could probably be shortened to 5'. You'll probably get used to them quickly, and they should help your aerobic fitness as well. YMMV -J

Are you trying to peak in April / May?

I don't recall Seller having the 4x8 this soon if you're looking to peak in July / August. More like ease into them in early June.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized training plan question [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:

I don't recall Seller having the 4x8 this soon if you're looking to peak in July / August. More like ease into them in early June.

Stephen Seiler has observed that the 80/20 ratio seems to be pretty consistent throughout the whole year i.e. no base period where you don't do hard intervals quite regularly.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply