Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polarized training plan
Quote | Reply
I wanted to get some opinions on how to incorporate polarized training into triathlon. Focus on olympic and maybe 70.3. I found this post on a thread from last year:

"""
Swim 4x per week. Mostly easy, only a little harder then warm-up effort. Some of it *really* hard, maybe four or five minutes at a time.

Bike 3x-5x per week. One session killer hard, with efforts of above FTP, another one hard, but as you get close to the race, switch that ride to include more race pace work.

Run: 5-7x per week, all easy. One hard. More than 10 weeks out, include hard intervals. The last 10 weeks make it a 70 to 90 minute run building to an hour broken at race pace.
"""
^^ originally posted by setania in this thread

Seems spot on for what I was planning on doing already.

So I'm thinking do something like:

mon - hard bike, maybe 4x8 or 2x15 sweet spot
wed - hard bike, with well above ftp efforts
fri - some kind of track workout, and hard swim

and then on the in-between sessions I will add on enough extra EASY sbr, to reach 15 hrs per week. And I believe doing this would result in ~10% of all training time being "hard" which is the cited ratio to be ideal.

Thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized training plan [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I do is:

swim hard on hard run and bike days as if I try to swim hard after a hard run and bike day, it's usually not going to happen, and I swim in the mornings.

mon is off
tues am hard swim, pm hard run
wed am swim, pm easy bike
thurs am hard swim, pm hard bike
friday am swim, pm easy run
saturday am long run - if training for ironman or something, this could also have hard portions
sunday long ride - as i feel, so if feel good, go steady hard, if bad, easy.

in summer, i will run after the hard bike and long bike, and maybe easy bike if i have time.

Way too hard and time consuming for me to try and slot in 5x rides per week. If I have time, I might also ride on saturday but more often than not don't really want my whole weekend dedicated to training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polarized training isn't the second coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
I wanted to get some opinions on how to incorporate polarized training into triathlon. Focus on olympic and maybe 70.3. I found this post on a thread from last year:

"""
Swim 4x per week. Mostly easy, only a little harder then warm-up effort. Some of it *really* hard, maybe four or five minutes at a time.

Bike 3x-5x per week. One session killer hard, with efforts of above FTP, another one hard, but as you get close to the race, switch that ride to include more race pace work.

Run: 5-7x per week, all easy. One hard. More than 10 weeks out, include hard intervals. The last 10 weeks make it a 70 to 90 minute run building to an hour broken at race pace.
"""
^^ originally posted by setania in this thread

Seems spot on for what I was planning on doing already.

So I'm thinking do something like:

mon - hard bike, maybe 4x8 or 2x15 sweet spot
wed - hard bike, with well above ftp efforts
fri - some kind of track workout, and hard swim

and then on the in-between sessions I will add on enough extra EASY sbr, to reach 15 hrs per week. And I believe doing this would result in ~10% of all training time being "hard" which is the cited ratio to be ideal.

Thoughts?

Training should be periodized with more specific preparation occurring closer to racing. The totality of the year would end up looking polarized but some specific time blocks might not be. Honestly though, it is mostly small stuff. 95% of it is consistency and eating well. Most protocols will work if you are consistent and eat well.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized training plan [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm guessing I'll figure out details as I go along. For example I won't actually start doing track workouts until I build up my daily running to a stable point (otherwise I get injured). And right now I'm mainly doing all easy biking and no hard stuff since I have a broken wrist and I'm stuck doing the recumbent bike at gym.

Mainly looking for a good starting point to model my training off of.

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
Yeah I'm guessing I'll figure out details as I go along. For example I won't actually start doing track workouts until I build up my daily running to a stable point (otherwise I get injured). And right now I'm mainly doing all easy biking and no hard stuff since I have a broken wrist and I'm stuck doing the recumbent bike at gym.

Mainly looking for a good starting point to model my training off of.

Keep in mind general to specific in building a plan. Also consider that fitness is about progressive overload. You can overload with intensity or volume. If you reduce both, you lose fitness. WHen you reduce intensity, you need to increase volume and vice versa. You can increase both at the same time but need to be cautious doing so.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply