Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar shows double reading for 4iiii power meter
Quote | Reply
I just got a 4iiii single leg power meter installed on my crank arm and my Polar M450 is doubling the power output resulting in 2x what I am really doing. I can't find any settings in the Polar device to change this.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar shows double reading for 4iiii power meter [yoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing???

I was sure someone would have something on this. I must be the only sucker riding around with a Polar head unit and not one of hose fancy Garmin or Wahoo setups...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think your 4iii unit would be incorrect in this instance; your head unit is strictly receiving a power reading sent by the 4iii, not doubling anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you don't have the "multiplier" set at 200%. I normally set mine to read about 3% higher, or is it 5%...don't recall as the bike has been parked for more than a year. Any how. Open up the 4iiii App and pair it with the meter to see what the setting is at. I bet this is where you're having issues.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Polar shows double reading for 4iiii power meter [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Make sure you don't have the "multiplier" set at 200%.

I actually have the setting at 50% (now) so that I will get the correct reading.

I first use the phone app to zero the power meter. In the settings there is something about it being single-leg. I then pair the 4iiii to the polar using the normal process, which the polar asks if there "is there another pedal", to which I answer no. I think it is something with these two settings, the 4iiii is thinking that since it is a single leg, it will send the signal as double to account for total power. And the Polar, based on the 'is there another pedal" question is thinking that it needs to double the power to get total power.

I did already try telling the polar there was another pedal, but then it just searches to connect and doesn't move forward.

So for now I have the multiplier set at 50% and this seems to be spot on, though I don't think this is how it is supposed to be settings-wise between the pedal and the head unit. Especially when on the polar website they state that 4iiii power meters are "fully supported"

And I have another bike with a powermeter and have a Kurt Kinetic Trainer with inride, or whatever the built in power meter is called. so I know what to expect, and when the multiplier was originally at 100%, my power readings off the polar were almost exactly double what the Trainer power meter was saying.
Last edited by: yoman: Sep 19, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: I finally got around to reading the manual and there is a button in the phone app to "allow 3rd party apps" or something if the sort, and this setting has fixed it. Now with the multiplier set back to 100%it is properly displaying the power reading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always had a stronger left leg - tore my knee up from years back and my left leg took over. if you know your left/right leg numbers, does it hold true as well with regard to what 4iiii used to determine what scale factor to use if the left leg was dominant instead of the right?
"Doubling the power from your left leg (as per PRECISION and all single sided power meters), gives you a total power of only 90% of what you’re actually putting out. In order to adjust for this, you can simply set the scale factor to 50/45=1.11111. 50 because 50% is your desired reading for PRECISION (half of your total power output), and 45 because your left leg is actually only putting out 45% of your actual total power. This scale factor can also be used to match PRECISION’s output to other training equipment you use"

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Polar shows double reading for 4iiii power meter [dennism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be throwing a battery in mine either tonight or tomorrow. I'll take a look in the app and see if there is a correction factor for left side dominance.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know from my other power meter that I have a 49.5/50.5 Left to Right balance. There is a factor in the 4iiii app to adjust this if you know how to do the math. I have mine adjusted to show 101% so that when it doubles my left leg power then it will be a correct representation of my two leg power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is the other way around. Left is stronger than my right and not sure how to go about adjusting the scale factor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dennism wrote:
Mine is the other way around. Left is stronger than my right and not sure how to go about adjusting the scale factor.

Not understanding if you are asking for help with this or not. Do you know your left/right power balance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am, posted after your update yesterday. Roughly 45/55 - bum right knee and has not gotten back to normal since i tore things up 30 years ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your two posts I am still unclear if it is your left or right leg that is at 45%.

If your left leg is weaker then use 1.111
If your right leg is weaker then use 0.909
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!

this is what i was looking for :)

sorry about the confusion.

If your left leg is weaker then use 1.111
If your right leg is weaker then use 0.909

Quote Reply