Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
I did a half marathon today. Runkeeper had it at 13.09. Polar V800 had it at 15.19. I was lapping miles at the end based on their cones (which were right on the dot with Runkeeper, I have an Echo Fit watch that displays the Runkeeper info without using the phone - awesomenes... had it on one wrist, the Polar in the other) and they were 1.13, 1.22, 1.16, and 1.34 on the Polar (I wanted to get the time I was spending on each mile at the end).

GatorDeb what you do just started to be annoying. You were given a few ideas how to verify the distances but you never replied about the results, never gave any hard data, not even basic info on if you're using gps or footpod and you just keep whining. What's the purpose of it?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [grzeg1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a hard time believing the Polar V800 is 2 miles off! Mine has been spot on +- a few yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [hinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a marathon yesterda, polar V800 was a few yards off, probably because I went off course a bit to use the port-o-let at mile 16. Used the footpod for cadence, had no problems with the v800 whatsoever during the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it have a vibrate-to-wake feature, similar to some of the activity trackers out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [jackrobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackrobinson wrote:
Does it have a vibrate-to-wake feature, similar to some of the activity trackers out there?
It does both vibrate and beep. No way to turn off the sound for now though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris, do we know if my V800 would be able to read Wahoo Kickr power data? I'm thinking about getting one soon.

Also, I'm travelling a lot. Time zone changes seems to mess up activity tracking when travelling "back in time". Any comments or expected updates to this?

Ps. Thanks for sharing all this great info in this thread!

JP
v800/h7/s3+/spd/cad
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [jef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you cannot have the treadmill calibrate manually for your outdoor runs. I learned that the stride sensor measures a lot of things, one of which is the speed and angle that the foot hits the ground. Given that the treadmill is a moving "ground service" it fools the stride sensor into a false reading. The best way to calibrate the stride sensor and V800 for outdoor running is to go to a high school track and run 4 laps while setting the calibration setting to test distance of 1600 meters. Very important - set your watch to the metric system before you start the calibration session. Otherwise there is a complex formula to convert. This will give you a very solid read for calibration for outdoor running. For running on a treadmill you will have to use a different sports profile with a different calibration setting. Setting the treadmill calibration reading is trial and error. You have to enter the calibration setting manually. It works fine on a treadmill so long as you run at a steady speed - like 8 mph for 45 mins. but if you run "hills" or intervals on the treadmill, the calibration will be off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grzeg1 wrote:
GatorDeb wrote:
I did a half marathon today. Runkeeper had it at 13.09. Polar V800 had it at 15.19. I was lapping miles at the end based on their cones (which were right on the dot with Runkeeper, I have an Echo Fit watch that displays the Runkeeper info without using the phone - awesomenes... had it on one wrist, the Polar in the other) and they were 1.13, 1.22, 1.16, and 1.34 on the Polar (I wanted to get the time I was spending on each mile at the end).

GatorDeb what you do just started to be annoying. You were given a few ideas how to verify the distances but you never replied about the results, never gave any hard data, not even basic info on if you're using gps or footpod and you just keep whining. What's the purpose of it?

I'm sorry my dissatisfaction at having paid $500 for something that is not accurate is annoying to you. That was actually my first step at verifying the distances, I took it to a race, to make sure it wasn't all in my head and it was actually miscalculating. If someone gives me the exact purchase price of the item I will quietly exit the thread and never come back as I go to another device.

In the meantime, while I have this one, I would have to look at a manual for tomorrow to figure out whether I have it set up to use the sensor or GPS. I have the sensor on me at all times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a hard time believing you have it set correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
I have a hard time believing you have it set correctly.

Well, then, if someone tells me how to set it up correctly I will be more than happy to do that :) With the 910XT I didn't have to set up anything, I just went.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [profanum429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
profanum429 wrote:
!

I'm searching for the V800 Firmware Sourcecode...I thought somebody here could be the right person which could know where to find it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi Chris,
couple of questions
1) is it ever going to be possible to buy or import a training plan without having to set it up yourself? - for example export a plan from training peaks and import it into polar flow so that its on the watch?
2) what is the timeline on exporting more data points from polar flow .. i.e.. not just single exercises?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried it without the stride sensor?

I do not have that sensor myself, so I do not know the setup, but I do know that in the latest firmware you can choose to use the GPS to measure the distance instead of the stride sensor. Did you calibrate the stride sensor? I am sure it needs some type of calibration.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [hinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I played with the settings and changed "Speed sensor" to GPS and today's run had the Polar at 3.22 and Runkeeper had it at .... 3.22.

That's a stupid name, it should be called "distance sensor" lol I had seen it before but had not thought that speed would help with distance.

Since my runs are going to be outside for now going to forgo the stride for now and when I have time one day go to the track to calibrate it.

Have a 10K I want to PR this weekend, got this straightened out just in time :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did something change with heart rate smoothing in the latest firmware update? I've got a Mio Alpha and before the value displayed on the watch tracked within 1 second of the value displayed on the Alpha. Now there is all sorts of lag between the two; it almost looks like it's smoothing the value now over a period of 5-10 seconds where it didn't seem to be doing that before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh oh... for the last few days my V800 has been having issues connecting properly over USB. It seems to be an issue with the contacts to the back of the watch - as it will charge fine, but to get it to connect properly (for data transfer) I need to squeeze the clip quite firmly.

I thought it might be that the contacts were dirty, but I have just cleaned them very thoroughly and I'm still having issues.

I think the watch is great, and regularly tell my fellow rowers and cyclists how it has been really useful, but with the lack of support for my Stages PM, and now the fact that it will only connect to my PC while I sit there holding the clip, it's getting harder to justify myself :(

Fingers crossed there's a solution for this connection issue, but I suspect that I may be in contact with Polar support shortly...
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [jwshale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar - are you still with us?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwshale wrote:
Uh oh... for the last few days my V800 has been having issues connecting properly over USB. It seems to be an issue with the contacts to the back of the watch - as it will charge fine, but to get it to connect properly (for data transfer) I need to squeeze the clip quite firmly.

I thought it might be that the contacts were dirty, but I have just cleaned them very thoroughly and I'm still having issues.

I think the watch is great, and regularly tell my fellow rowers and cyclists how it has been really useful, but with the lack of support for my Stages PM, and now the fact that it will only connect to my PC while I sit there holding the clip, it's getting harder to justify myself :(

Fingers crossed there's a solution for this connection issue, but I suspect that I may be in contact with Polar support shortly...

Is your V800 a pre-sale watch direct from Polar?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
jwshale wrote:

Mine was a pre-sale one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwshale wrote:
apache wrote:
jwshale wrote:

Mine was a pre-sale one...

Mine was pre-sale as well. There is a known battery issue where it can leak and swell. Navigate over to the Polar Community forum. Within, there is a V800 sub forum. You can find some detail about the issues there.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I had seen that thread, but I guess I was hoping that it wouldn't happen to me!

Seems it might be best for me to contact Polar support then. Dang. I will need to source a replacement HR monitor while I'm lacking one!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I contacted Polar UK and had a reply very swiftly indeed. My watch is now in the post and they say a turnaround of 1-2 days should be possible!

Fingers crossed everything will work again soon.

In the meantime, I feel lost without my all-day monitoring :o
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi.
I have an interesting one.
1) I was in Europe, and the watch was set to european time.
2) i did a short Run and the watch showed me this in the Diary
3) the watch also showed me in my recovery status and calories used for the day that i had used already 1500Kcal (run and normal activity)
4) at 11am i got back on a plane to fly to America
5) at 1115, i put the watches time back 6 hours to reflect American time.
6) the diary still showed my run
7) the recovery status showed me at "undertrained" and the amount of calories used at 600 kcal

so what happened here? ... why did the watch "lose" this exercise in the recovery status?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [spinothalamic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spinothalamic wrote:
Re: Power updates

Hi Chris,

Just wondering if Polar is planning to incorporate advanced statistics pertaining to power such as: Intensity Factor, TSS and Power Zones. With the latest update, I can only view either Power (in Watts) or Power (in % FTP) NOT both. Could you also comment on compatibility with the Stages powermeter/ other 3rd party powermeters with this latest update?

Many thanks in advance

Seriously Polar.... My V800 sees and syncs with my Stages PM. How hard is it to display and record the two number the meter is reporting? I'm tired of wearing my V800 and using my 310XT to record power data. Maybe I should just give up on Polar all together and go back to my 310XT..... I really like the V800 but not being compatible with aftermarket bluetooth power meters is just retarded and lazy at this point.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen to that. I have been doing that too as I own a 310xt. Can't agree with you more. Come on Polar. At least a reply would be nice..
Quote Reply

Prev Next