Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [DextrosePLZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi DextrosePLZ

For sleep data, have you tried clicking on the "Activity Summary" tab in the Diary section?

Avispon
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Avispon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really like this thread with support from Polar. Was in the market for a V800, then the 910XT after DC’s review, now the Polar is back in scope again.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
What is the technology used to measure free living activity? Does it rely solely on an accelerometer, or do you have additional sensors to improve accuracy, such as GSR or skin temperature?

Have you verified the accuracy versus a gold standard for calorie burn (like Doubly labeled water)? How do you determine sleep, and does it require pressing a button to tell the watch when you are trying to sleep or have woken up?

Are the algorithms accessable continuously without presence of a phone or does it require communication via an API to process raw data?

The device is not measuring calories burned. It can only measure motion and heart rate. From those it can predict calories burned. However, there will be lots of person to person variability. For example, heart rate generally increases linearly with work rate, but it can be significantly elevated with no increase in work rate at all. In the heat, any heart rate based system will over predict calories burned. A motion based system will have even more problems because many motions will not be detected by the measuring system. Non exercise activities of thermogenesis (NEAT - Google it) can account for significant calories. I can't imagine that anybody's activity tracker can stand up to the type of validation you mention, not yet.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question about the future open water swim metrics. Is Polar aiming for 910XT-ish data? So route and distance with about 10% margin of error? Or will the V800 be more precise?
Last edited by: TriHost: Jun 12, 14 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Boxers or briefs?

(hey - you said anything)

Boxer Briefs (I like Adidas Climalite, and my other favorite brand is "Whateverthehellisclean")

Quote:
1) I have never seen sleep data. I have looked in the diary were supposedly it would be reported for the Loop but can’t find anything. Is this information not currently tracked by the V800? Also, if I get extra sleep will the training load adjust down proportionately and vic versa?

2) In the progress tab do you think Polar will make it so different sport are different colors in the bar graph? Also will it be possible to select multiple sports, but not all? (this is just the way I’m use to looking a cumulative training over time).

3) Do you think it will be possible to create your own training plan in Polar Flow by the end of this year. Currently the “Add Training Target” seems to be the only way to add a planned workout to the calendar and it’s just too inefficient/ineffective to outline upcoming months of training.

1) Sleep data is in the Flow app, or in the Diary (day) at the bottom.
2) That's a very good point & question.. We have it on our priority list, though I don't have a timeline on that.. Something to note: the web team is not the same team working on the feature additions above.
3) Yes

Quote:
1. The GPS issue. When DC Rainmaker took his first look at the V800 its GPS acquisition was "awesome", but it seems to have deteriorated as the firmware has been updated. Any thoughts on this?

2. Although I intend to use the H7 strap for the lion's share of my training, it would be useful to use an optical sensor (e.g., a Mio Link) occasionally. Will this disrupt recovery calculations?

A couple of opinions:

1. As Polar is championing bluetooth (rather than ANT), it would be good to see greater support of third party devices. (My inclination is to buy Polar add-ons, but not slavishly. I already own the Adidas foot pod.)

2. Although the V800 is designed for athletes, it is surely likely to appeal to health-conscious/ design-conscious customers planning to take exercise more seriously, too. So, shouldn't it offer full Loop functionality as well as the recovery data?
1) In our tests it remains "awesome" - and *most* of the feedback we're getting from the market is in line with our experience (of course with anything a few on the other end). Ray still has a very early beta - so a production unit is on the way to him now.
2) We haven't tested it enough with an optical sensor to give you a good answer yet..But I'll come back to this.

On your opinions. 1) We're following mostly all standard Bluetooth Smart profiles - what we've found is some third party sensors not fully complying with the specifications. But we're investigating, and hopefully bringing some light to some of the sensor manufacturers and how they're implementing the profile. 2) It mostly has everything a Loop does, except for the daily goal. But we've heard some good feedback, it's why conversations like this on forums like Slowtwitch are so important.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About swim metrics. At the watches current point, would work for OWS if placed in your swim cap? (so it never goes under water)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [spire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spire wrote:
About swim metrics. At the watches current point, would work for OWS if placed in your swim cap? (so it never goes under water)

I don't see why not..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
spire wrote:

I don't see why not..

Then for the before mentioned October release, what is being added in? I can see pool swimming, but will it also change so that you can accurately track OWS whilst on the wrist?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Avispon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its been widely reported that the Polar v800 does not work with bluetooth certified sensors.

Assuming that the v800 is Bluetooth certified then the bluetooth certification process failed for either all the other sensors, or for the V800 or both. Either way it suggests that being BTLE certified is meaningless when it comes to interoperability, which is sorta the point of a standard.

Now the question - in keeping with the rest on this thread. Whats your favourite colour?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[url mailto:Chris@Polar]User wrote:
Chris@Polar]User[/url] experience with our new platform is almost #1 priority

Thanks for the insights. I'm really happy to see a statement about user experience and how important it is.

As someone who is both a triathlete and a programmer, I'm curious where Polar does their software development? And whether there might be opportunities for some enthusiastic slowtwitchers to contribute to the success of the V800 / V650 / future offerings (had seen some opening on careers page a handful of years ago but nothing now).
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [spire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spire wrote:
Then for the before mentioned October release, what is being added in? I can see pool swimming, but will it also change so that you can accurately track OWS whilst on the wrist?

Yes, October update to swim metrics include indoor pool metrics, and updated OWS smoothing. The quality of all measurement is important.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [coderun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coderun wrote:
[url mailto:Chris@Polar]User wrote:
Chris@Polar]User[/url] experience with our new platform is almost #1 priority

Thanks for the insights. I'm really happy to see a statement about user experience and how important it is.

As someone who is both a triathlete and a programmer, I'm curious where Polar does their software development? And whether there might be opportunities for some enthusiastic slowtwitchers to contribute to the success of the V800 / V650 / future offerings (had seen some opening on careers page a handful of years ago but nothing now).

We do all of our programming(and really everything) in house. Our HQ is in Finland. We don't have any vacancies that I know of right now on the programming team - we've actually added quite a bit of resources to these projects already. But surely it wouldn't hurt to send me some info so you're on our radar. Shoot me a message and I'll be happy to route. This page is also updated with vacancies: http://www.polar.com/...polar/jobs/vacancies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Prevost wrote:
Cobble wrote:
What is the technology used to measure free living activity? Does it rely solely on an accelerometer, or do you have additional sensors to improve accuracy, such as GSR or skin temperature?

Have you verified the accuracy versus a gold standard for calorie burn (like Doubly labeled water)? How do you determine sleep, and does it require pressing a button to tell the watch when you are trying to sleep or have woken up?

Are the algorithms accessable continuously without presence of a phone or does it require communication via an API to process raw data?

The device is not measuring calories burned. It can only measure motion and heart rate. From those it can predict calories burned. However, there will be lots of person to person variability. For example, heart rate generally increases linearly with work rate, but it can be significantly elevated with no increase in work rate at all. In the heat, any heart rate based system will over predict calories burned. A motion based system will have even more problems because many motions will not be detected by the measuring system. Non exercise activities of thermogenesis (NEAT - Google it) can account for significant calories. I can't imagine that anybody's activity tracker can stand up to the type of validation you mention, not yet.
I know all that, but would like to get the thoughts from a Polar person regarding their validation testing.

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Mike Prevost wrote:
Cobble wrote:

I know all that, but would like to get the thoughts from a Polar person regarding their validation testing.

I am not sure that you are asking the right question. I don't see this as a hardware issue at all. It is a mathematical modeling issue. You should be asking what model are they using to predict calorie expenditure and if it is based on heart rate, or the accelerometer, or both. For example, if it is heart rate, perhaps they are using the regression formula from this study that is widely used:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15966347

In that case, the question is validation of the regression formula in the original study, not the Polar device. We already know that Polar can measure heart rate.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, I'm looking for Polar on this regarding their validation work. Although I appreciate your expertise if we start a discussion or debate there's no way I'll get a response from Polar regarding my specific questions.

Quote | Reply
Quote:

Good question. Two part answer
  • Calorie expenditure for training - all based on heart rate (and user information), using algorithms we've researched and validated for the better part of 25 years. The algorithms are proprietary but published studies are available online (Owncal Validation)
  • Calorie expenditure for activity is based on activity (and user information) using the accelerometer. We've internally validated our algorithms, and a few third party studies are happening right now

In terms of sleep measurement. You do not have to press a button. That's automatic (and also based on movement).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Operational question: when I have it in "triathlon" mode - I hit the start button to begin; , then the back button to move to T1, then the start button to begin bike; then the back button to move to t2; then the start button to move to run. what do I hit at the end of the run to complete the race? if I hit the back button again... it appears it is moving into a t3 mode or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeekrusk wrote:
Operational question: when I have it in "triathlon" mode - I hit the start button to begin; , then the back button to move to T1, then the start button to begin bike; then the back button to move to t2; then the start button to move to run. what do I hit at the end of the run to complete the race? if I hit the back button again... it appears it is moving into a t3 mode or something.

At the end of a race, press the back button once to pause - immediately press and hold the back button for 3 seconds to exit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
Quote:

Good question. Two part answer

• Calorie expenditure for training - all based on heart rate (and user information), using algorithms we've researched and validated for the better part of 25 years. The algorithms are proprietary but published studies are available online (Owncal Validation)
  • Calorie expenditure for activity is based on activity (and user information) using the accelerometer. We've internally validated our algorithms, and a few third party studies are happening right now

In terms of sleep measurement. You do not have to press a button. That's automatic (and also based on movement).

Predicting calorie expenditure from HR is pretty solid for heart rates between 100ish and 160ish. The problem is when people are not really exercising and HR can be all over the place. So getting an exercise calorie expenditure is generally no problem and can be done reasonably accurately with HR and I assume that Polar would be an industry leader in this area. I remain unconvinced about doing this for whole day energy expenditure. I am more unconvinced when it comes to accelerometers. I think for certain predictable exercise modes like running, the challenge is not too bad. But other modes are going to be a problem. However, this is not a Polar challenge. All activity monitors currently have this issue (https://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/66292). However, I am open minded and if validation studies say differently, I am willing to change my mind.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Prevost wrote:

Predicting calorie expenditure from HR is pretty solid for heart rates between 100ish and 160ish. The problem is when people are not really exercising and HR can be all over the place. So getting an exercise calorie expenditure is generally no problem and can be done reasonably accurately with HR and I assume that Polar would be an industry leader in this area. I remain unconvinced about doing this for whole day energy expenditure. I am more unconvinced when it comes to accelerometers. I think for certain predictable exercise modes like running, the challenge is not too bad. But other modes are going to be a problem. However, this is not a Polar challenge. All activity monitors currently have this issue (https://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/66292). However, I am open minded and if validation studies say differently, I am willing to change my mind.

Completely.

We'll be publishing documents at some point soon on validation of Polar activity based calorie expenditure. I'll note to repost in this thread once available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW: A decade ago I dropped 25 pounds over the course of 25 weeks, meticulously tracking all foods I ate but using only rudimentary calorie expenditure estimates (ie: cycling 500 calories/hour, running 100 cal./mile, walking 80 cal./mile, etc).

At the end of those 25 weeks, the calorie in/out balance was within 3% of the predicted 3500 calorie deficit per pound needed for weight loss.

In other words, for me, there would've been no practical gain in having a more accurate tally of my calories expended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, in theory, I have one of these headed my way in November: BSX Insight

Any chance you guys will support this? Please :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technical question:

The intended upgrades/added metrics and what have you - how will that work?
Like a firmware upgrade where the end user will download and install the software/patch on the unit or wil the units have to go back to Polar for the upgrades?

I'm asking because the early RC3 GPS units (read: mine) lacked GPS based elevation support in the unit itself and the functionalty was added in later iterations.
No biggie for me because the webservice provides elevation data from Google Maps for later analysis and such I just couldn't be arsed to send in the unit for upgrade/replacement.
For the V800 however, the upgrades appear substantial and I would hate to plunk down a fair amount of $$$ (or €€€ for that matter) just to have to send the unit back to Polar a coule of times to get the full current functionality.

NOT knocking Polar or the RC3 GPS in any way here, just curious...

...compensating my lack of fitness with inadequate strength and endurance...
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ReTrieD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ReTrieD wrote:
Like a firmware upgrade where the end user will download and install the software/patch on the unit or wil the units have to go back to Polar for the upgrades?

It's done through software on your computer

Polar V800 Manual wrote:
Every time a firmware update is available, FlowSync will notify you, and request you to install it.
http://www.polar.com/...l_English/manual.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Oskar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much obliged, kind Sir

...compensating my lack of fitness with inadequate strength and endurance...
Quote Reply

Prev Next