Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar S510 Mounting problem
Quote | Reply
After mounting my Polar S510 with cadence and speed sensors I have found that the speed sensor doesn't work with the reciever mounted on the computer mount on a set of Syntace C2 aerobars. The sensor is mounted as high as possible on the front fork as shown in the directions. I can't mount the reciever holder on the handlebars due to the aerobars and aero bottle. I mounted it sideways on my stem and it picked up a signal from the speed sensor there but is hard to read sitting sideways. The cadence sensor which is much farther away has not been a problem. Any one had this problem, any other mounting ideas??
Quote Reply
Re: Polar S510 Mounting problem [woodenshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a tough one. I also have an S510, but without the cadence sensor. Moreover, I didn't mount the speed sensor because my current bike already has a cyclocomputer.

But when I did mount the S510 watch/receiver sideways on the aerobar, it wouldn't pick up the signal from my HRM chest strap. I fiddled around with it for a while and never did get it to work. Now I just wear the watch on my wrist, and even when I'm in the aero position, the watch picks up the HR signal just fine.

Sorry I can't offer a solution. But at least you know you're not alone in this problem. Good luck in finding someone who knows the answer to your question.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I had the same problem trying to pick up the speed sensor signal. I emailed Polar about my problem and the sent me a different watch mount. It worked a little better but I still had to attach my watch mount to the quill. The only thing I did differently than you was to use a Profile computer mount so that I didn't have to contort my neck to read my speed and HR. The Profile computer mount is a big pain in the butt to install, especially a new one. Maybe someone else makes a better one.

http://www.tri-zone.com/Catalog/BikeIndex.html

It took a lot of patience, and trial & error. Take your time.

Good luck,

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Last edited by: E-Z: Jun 11, 03 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem... older watch, but bought the newer speed sensor. My understanding is that the sensors send an eliptical broadcast. This so as to not send your speed sideways to the guy riding next to you (on a trainer in class I surmised). I can not get it in the right orientation.

On my KM40. there is just not an appropriate surface to mont the sensor. I anyone figured out how I would love a pic!!!

I ended up mounting a normal computer along with it. Frustrating!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar S510 Mounting problem [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EZ's recommendation is exactly what I did with my S710. I used the Profile mount on my C2's, and put the mount in the narrow part of the bars as close to the base bar as I could go. This means that I can't use an aero drink bottle, but I've never like those much anyway. I also increased the range of the speed sensor by moving the jumper (search other posts for how to do this). End result is that I can get speed and cadence on my S710 no problem. Good luck. If this makes no sense at all I can take some pics and post them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up leaving the Cateye Astrelle on my bike so that I could count on the cadence value being availiable.

Has anyone gone with the Watt measuring available for the 710 / 720? With it being hard wired it would eliminate the problem of the signal being lost.

The problem I've heard is that it can be out by 15%. If it is 15% high one day and 15% low the next it is useless. If it is consistantly out by 15% at least then, you could compare results over time. In comparsons I've seen to Powertap they point out the inaccuracy but the reviews don't say whether the error rate is consistant.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar S510 Mounting problem [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brent, I agree with the Cateye recommendation, too. This may sound a little anal, but I actually have the setup I described above to mount the S710, and then I also have a Cateye Astrale mounted next to it. This gives me two benefits: 1) speed and cadence while on the trainer, and 2) 5 lines of data while racing. I can see cadence, average speed, current speed, time, and HR all at once with this setup.

I've read the same criticism of the Polar power output kit. I had considered it for a while, but all the reviews I read were nearly unanimous that it's a huge pain in the ass to intall, and it's very inaccurate compared to SRM or PowerTap. It's VERY sensitive to proper installation and calibration. If you ride a triple like I do this further compounds the install problems. The biggest issue that I see with it is that all guides on training with power say to set your power zones at CPxx +/- 10% (CP30 being average power sustainable for 30 minutes, for example) BUT, if the unit's margin of error is greater than the zone you are trying to target, how do you effectively train with power?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get the best reception, the speed sensor needs to be at a 90* angle to the watch. Obviously this is very tough on a road/tri bike. However you can get it a little more angled if you put the magnet on a left side spoke and the speed sensor mounted on the right side of the fork. Angle the speed sensor towards the wheel until it starts to hit.

You can test if this is the case by taking your watch off the mount and moving it around as you ride. Try rotating the watch until you get a reading. I'll bet you get a reading when the watch is 90* to the speed sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar S510 Mounting problem [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like this is a common problem!! I have tried wearing the receiver on my wrist but it's a pain to look at and the speed sensor is still too far away to get a reading. I also have a Cateye computer mounted on my Syntace computer mount but it doesn't give cadence or obviously HR so it's alot of compromise. I really like my aero bottle so hate to give it up. I don't understand why the cadence sensor ~ 2 feet away works when the speed sensor has to be ~ 8" away to work. The comment on the elliptical path to avoid crosstalk makes sense but why does the cadence sensor work so far away?? If they made a mount for the stem it would be close enough for the speed sensor to work and easy to look at right below your nose, wonder if Polar reads these posts??
Quote Reply