Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Point of a Wetsuit
Quote | Reply
I've read a good amount of posts here and other places on the innanet and have noticed many people's preference for wetsuit legal swims. I'm a relatively new swimmer and am curious about just how beneficial a wetsuit is. Does a wetsuit compensate for being a weak swimmer? Does it take away the need to kick? When I started swimming, I wanted to focus on my kick because of how poor it is (since I'm a runner), but the coach told me that it's not important in triathlon (which I believed). I've come to see that that statement was BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [polynice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point is to prevent hypothermia.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
simple:

it is much easier to swim in a wetsuit because it floats

So it is a witch?

It is also warmer if the water is a little chilly. I really don't enjoy water under 78'ish. It isn't that I can't, it is that I don't want to.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To give you a convenient place to pee before a race and have some mental semblance of privacy

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dorsi flexed ankles will cause slightly less drag in a wetsuit. As I posted above the point is warmth and any performance bennies should be seen as a bonus.

Pure OW swimming has not ever allowed wetsuits. FINA min temp is 15C for OW.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to our sport.

A wetsuit offers buoyancy, which improves body position, which makes you faster. Possibly 0:10/100m. The advantage is highest for weaker swimmers, and diminishes the better one's swim technique.

For weaker swimmers on long swims the kick is less about propulsion and more about proper body position and rotation. A wetsuit fixes a lot of that for you so your coach is probably right. Plus you may need your energy later, so don't burn your matches kicking like a madman, very low ROI.
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^^ Nailed it.

Add that to a smoother skin on the neoprene which reduces drag, and good thermal characteristics.

In a wetsuit swim, even the best swimmers may give up some time without a suit.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
The point is to prevent hypothermia.

well, that was the original intent....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And triathlon started to cater to candy ass whining.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
polynice wrote:
I've read a good amount of posts here and other places on the innanet and have noticed many people's preference for wetsuit legal swims. I'm a relatively new swimmer and am curious about just how beneficial a wetsuit is. Does a wetsuit compensate for being a weak swimmer? Does it take away the need to kick? When I started swimming, I wanted to focus on my kick because of how poor it is (since I'm a runner), but the coach told me that it's not important in triathlon (which I believed). I've come to see that that statement was BS.
Lots of ways to answer your question with the absolutes of: wet suits do float and keep you warmer

Runners tend to have inflexible ankles... even if you two beat kick or don't kick at all, feet pointed downwards are going to slow you down. I wouldn't completely ignore your kick and ankle flexibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
polynice wrote:
I've read a good amount of posts here and other places on the innanet and have noticed many people's preference for wetsuit legal swims. I'm a relatively new swimmer and am curious about just how beneficial a wetsuit is.

Does a wetsuit compensate for being a weak swimmer? - yes
Does it take away the need to kick? - not completely
When I started swimming, I wanted to focus on my kick because of how poor it is (since I'm a runner), but the coach told me that it's not important in triathlon (which I believed). I've come to see that that statement was BS. - kick isn't as important as a bunch of other things. You should work on it, but it shouldn't be your prime focus area...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So it is a witch?

FTW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Washington and Oregon, the water temperature rarely gets above 65 degrees and in some races have been down to 54 degrees. Wetsuits are kind of good for that.

Wetsuits help new beginners by keeping their legs during the surface....BUT....so does learning how to kick.

As far as your coach with the legs, sure you can "save your legs", but that is short-sighted advice. For the long term, You may as well learn to kick and build the endurance. You won't find Front-of-pack swimmers just dragging their legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
To give you a convenient place to pee before a race and have some mental semblance of privacy

Yep, but just make sure you are in the water before you let loose. Otherwise, you might have some explaining to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [Henrik33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Henrik33 wrote:
Quote:
So it is a witch?

FTW!

+1. And should be burned???

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard numbers thrown around on time advantages of 5-10% for a wetsuit legal swim. As other posters have mentioned it generally helps the weaker swimmers more as it really helps keep your hips and legs from dragging.
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TropicPlace wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Yep, but just make sure you are in the water before you let loose. Otherwise, you might have some explaining to do.

Now you tell me :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits are for swimmers who are not competent open water swimmers to actually attempt triathlons.
And once one person wears one, everyone else does to keep pace in the arms race.

PS That 15 degree C FINA rule is total crap. Competent, acclimated, trained swimmers can and race down to about 10.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

You need a wetsuit for that?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Wetsuits are for swimmers who are not competent open water swimmers to actually attempt triathlons.
And once one person wears one, everyone else does to keep pace in the arms race.

PS That 15 degree C FINA rule is total crap. Competent, acclimated, trained swimmers can and race down to about 10.

This may be true but actually the rule is 16 to 31 degrees C, or 60.8 to 87.8 degrees F. The following is from the FINA OWS Rules for 2013-17:

OWS 5.5 The water temperature should be a minimum of 16°C and a maximum of 31°C. It
should be checked the day of the race, 2 hours before the start, in the middle of the course
at a depth of 40 cm. This control should be done in the presence of a Commission made
up of the following persons present: a Referee, a member of the Organizing Committee and
one coach from the teams present designated during the Technical Meeting.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other benefit of a suit is protection from floating jellies...I discovered this only after doing a practice swim the day before an event without a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"well, that was the original intent...."

well...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Point of a Wetsuit [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, when Jason wrote "original intent," I thought we might actually find out...so what was your intent?

Personally I figure you just wanted to make some money!
Quote Reply

Prev Next