Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please recommend some running shorts
Quote | Reply
Training for my 1st 26.2 (Cape Cod), as I have ramp up my mileage my trusty new balance running shorts are chafing the shit out of my groin and nether regions. It's the threading in the liner thats doing it. I do prefer the shorter running shorts with the V on the side. Any suggestions of brands to try? Did 18 today and I'm raw, sucks.

Thanks

tg

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adidas adizero split shorts

NIKE DASH
MEN'S TRACK AND FIELD SHORTS

Here ya go princess, the first are probably more up your alley with the V-Split
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lululemon 5"....yes the cost is ridiculous..but the comfort and durability is worth the extra $25.

Dr. MJP
3rd Dental Bt
Okinawa, Japan

"Embrace the Suck"
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check those out thx

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [Prie0065] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the lulelemons.....i think alot of their stuff is bullshit ($75 exercise shirt,GTFO), but their shorts are worth every penny. Hold up way better than anything I have from Brooks or Nike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, try cutting out that inner liner and wearing some good briefs (or whatever). Many people cut those out anyway.

I love the asics 55. It is a 5in short with 5 pockets...thus: 55! It has a liner, but never chafes, so I keep it in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks are my fav, under armor are the worst
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Adidas. Running Warehouse or direct from the website. Not all brands are for everyone, but I enjoy the Adidas Adistar line, no issues. Haven't tried Lululemon though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm super picky about shorts. Only two types of shorts for me: Saucony Inferno, Oiselle Distance (which, though come from a women's company, are very much unisex).

Or spandex. That's a whole other animal...

tweets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything from Lululemon is pretty good but I love The North Face "Better Than Naked" shorts. Also chamois butter is good for more than just cycling :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Lululemon. without a doubt the most comfortable shorts that i have ever owned.

Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Anything from Lululemon is pretty good but I love The North Face "Better Than Naked" shorts. Also chamois butter is good for more than just cycling :)

The North Face run shorts are really nice. I use them for all of my long runs and have done a couple marathons in them with basically zero chafing. My favorites are a little longer (5" inseam) with the lycra compression short liner, but I have a pair of the 3.5 inch split shorts with the brief and those are fine too.

I buy them at the North Face Outlet whenever I can find them on sale.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Brooks are my fav, under armor are the worst

I, too, also love Brooks shorts. Some of the best I've used.

I also have a couple pairs of 2xu pants that have compression liners. Don't think the compression does much, but they are super comfy and give plenty of "support" in that area. I like them as much as the Brooks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to get too personal, but where exactly is your chafing?

I find that short-shorts(split and the like) bunch and chafe my upper inner thigh.

For longer runs I have to use longer shorts(4" or greater) or tri shorts.

Underwear also matters a lot. Seamless microfiber from Dolce or Calvin Klein is my go-to.

For marys/ultras I definitely use body glide, but for a 17 mile training run I wouldn't use any "lubrication".

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
First, try cutting out that inner liner and wearing some good briefs (or whatever). Many people cut those out anyway.

I love the asics 55. It is a 5in short with 5 pockets...thus: 55! It has a liner, but never chafes, so I keep it in there.

Second this idea. I cut the liners out of every pair of shorts I have. Under that I wear C9 StretchLite sport briefs (I think that's the name, they sell them in Target). I started wearing them as my everyday briefs but forgot my usual UA shorts at work one day and had to wear them for a run. I never looked back.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [MikeDevenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeDevenney wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

Second this idea. I cut the liners out of every pair of shorts I have. Under that I wear C9 StretchLite sport briefs (I think that's the name, they sell them in Target). I started wearing them as my everyday briefs but forgot my usual UA shorts at work one day and had to wear them for a run. I never looked back.

I just started doing this for this season. Didn't have bad chafing issues and usually ran in Nike shorts w/ boxer brief liner, but was upping distance to ultra and wanted to see how it would work. Its been awesome. I wear UA compression shorts and then a pair of running shorts w/o liners, no issues at all, very happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend some running shorts [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also very picky with my shorts and have like these Nike shorts with built in tights:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/5-phenom-two-in-one-running-shorts/pid-1488124/pgid-10084742

No chaffing and you can buy them in several lengths.

I have been using them for my marathon training the last 2 months.

Obviously use commando....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prie0065 wrote:
Lululemon 5"....yes the cost is ridiculous..but the comfort and durability is worth the extra $25.

I have two pairs of 2" Lululemons. I found them in the sale bin 10 years ago. They still look like new after hundreds of sessions.
Sadly Lululemon things all guys want 5" or longer than they haven't made them since.
Quote Reply