Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help find missing part for Aegis Trident frame! Dropout needed:)
Quote | Reply
Hello from Atlanta!

Name is Roo, not a triathlete, just a guy that likes to do a bit of everything sports related. Last weekend I got my hands on a damaged Aegis Trident tribike. The fork had snapped just below the head tube causing the previous owner to crash. The seat was slightly bent, and the rest of the damage seemed to be scratches and the need for new tape on bars. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed there was an important piece missing, and the possible reason the previous owner had not kept the bike. I believe it is called a rear dropout. I didn't notice it at first because I assumed it was built into the frame like every bike I had seen till then. But on this frame, it's a machined piece of metal attached to the frame by two bolts...and besides the fork needing replacing, it is the only thing keeping this great bike from being used again. I still have the right/rear dropout that holds the derailleur. It's the left side dropout that I am missing.
I know nothing about the intricacies of performance bicycles, and I find myself frustrated by not knowing the names of parts, etc. I'm still not even sure if the proper name for the part is dropout or hanger... After an online search that led to nothing, I figured I'd post the question where people are best informed on the subject.... So?

Does anybody out there have any idea where I could find a replacement dropout for my Aegis Trident? Something that would fit without me having to adapt it... In other words, a dropout that will have the proper two holes to attach it to the frame. Do I need to buy both sides from an aftermarket/3rd party brand so they match, or should I be able to find the one side to match the other I still have?
I saw an old post on a forum about a guy who swapped the dropouts from his Aegis frame for horizontal ones so he could make it a fixed gear bike. So I know it is possible to find these things, I just don't have the knowledge about the specs/measurements/details to find ones that fit the Trident frame. Or where to buy them...
Alternatively, does anyone have a damaged Aegis frame that they don't mind selling me the dropouts from?

Any help would be appreciated!

Roo:)
Last edited by: Roo!: Oct 7, 15 20:52
Quote Reply
Re: Please help restore my Aegis Trident frame! Dropout needed:) [Roo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine broke in the same place and I landed on my face. Any Aegis owners out there should inspect there steer tube. If it is the one made my aegis of the smaller diameter (1"?). I wouldn't ride on it.Sorry, My old frame is gone
Quote Reply
Re: Please help restore my Aegis Trident frame! Dropout needed:) [Roo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would post pics for better response.

I would contact calfee and ruckus for estimates and to get an opinion on if it's repairable. These are two carbon repair companies, google them.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help restore my Aegis Trident frame! Dropout needed:) [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a quick pic!
I don't see any damage on the frame, so I don't think repair is needed. But I'm missing the part that I sketched (very poorly) in yellow. It is where you insert the axle of the back wheel before tightening the quick-release. Those two screws/bolts are not holding anything...they are supposed to hold the part that I'm missing in it's place.

Where do I get one? Do I need to buy a pair to ensure they match?

[URL=http://s268.photobucket.com/...zpswqvtbrnw.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old aegis trident fork broke in the same place back in 2002 or so. They used a cast aluminum piece to bond the head tube and fork blades too. Bad idea. I had to fight them to get a new (Reynolds) fork out of the deal.

It sounds like you're missing the left rear dropout that bolts onto the frame. You have the right rear dropout, correct? Aegis is out of business, so you're out of luck there. You might get lucky and find one on eBay or something. But I think the easiest thing to do would be to find a local machinist/ machine shop and take the right dropout to them and have them make one to match it (but without the part sticking down to hang the derailleur off of). Take the whole frame in to show them what it's for and explain the critical dimensions- i.e. the two hole positions and threading, the dropout notch position and width, and the part thickness. The exterior dimensions and surface finish probably aren't critical. I would guess it would take under an hour to make and probably cost $50 or so.

Have you found a replacement fork for it yet? If not, good luck finding a decent 1"fork for a reasonable price. It's why I retired my aegis trident.

Hope you can get the frame back on the road.
J
Quote Reply
Re: Please help restore my Aegis Trident frame! Dropout needed:) [JAM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks Jam
That was my first idea ( to find a machinist) but then I found this website http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...on&category=D005 and I wondered if I could use one of their dropouts. I also found this guy's project http://bikecult.com/...icycles/aegisFG.html and figured if he can do it I should be able to also. I just don't know if I need to find dropouts with the proper holes drilled into them, or if it's normal for people to buy them and custom fit them on their frames themselves.

After these two responses I'm pretty freaked out about forks snapping on this frame. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I'm not very concerned with weight gain, so the fork does not have to be carbon fiber. This bike is for commuting on a bike path, no competition or training. Will changing materials make a difference? Is it strictly due to the thinness of the head tube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem was with the Aegis designed fork that came with the bike, not the bicycle frame itself. They used a cast aluminium piece as a structural member instead of a forged one. When mine broke you could see a void (bubble) where the crack propagated from that was there from the casting process. The second time my fork broke on the frame a few years ago it was because an old lady ran me over on her way to church one Sunday morning. Again, not the fault of the frame.

Good luck
J
Quote Reply