Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please critique my fit (2 years later)
Quote | Reply
Thread resurrection!!!!

So it's been two years and I've played A LOT with my position and equipment.

• Dropped the front
  • Increased reach
  • Changed aerobars
  • Changed saddle

Here are two pictures that I took a few weeks ago with the crank perpendicular to the ground in both positions.

What do you think?

If possible, I would also like to get some feedback on equipment selection. The pictures above feature my training setup and clothes (it was cold AF!).

Race setup is :

• BTA bottle
  • Nothing on downtube
  • BTS bottle and flat kit under saddle (tiny track tubular)
  • Xlab bento
  • Enve 6 front
  • Zipp super 9 back
  • Vittoria corsa G+ tubulars with sealant
  • Garneau M2 trisuit
  • Specialized Swork road shoes
  • Same Garneau P09 from 2 years ago that fits better with new position

Also, I'm waiting for an Omega X front brake, that I purchased on the classified.

Any low hanging fruits that I missed?

Thanks everyone!

*************initial post**************

I did IMLP last Sunday and bought race day pictures from Finisherpix. Since there are a few angles on the bike pictures, I thought it would be a good opportunity to get feedback on my fit. Keep in mind that I'm not the fastest biker (5:45 in LP) and this was my second IM, so I'm fairly new to the sport. I am really comfortable on this setup and can stay aero for hours. I would like to get faster so any constructive feedback regarding my bike position would be appreciated.

I got a professional fit (GURU Bike Fitting System) when I first got my P3 last year. Since then, I did some minor adjustments to the saddle (still the stock ISM Adamo Prologue), removed all headset spacers and got a -17 stem. There is only one aero 10mm spacer under the arm pads that I could remove.

This is my first post and I want to thank everyone here because I learned so much from this forum. Thanks in advance![/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]
Last edited by: ElliotOP: May 12, 17 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my fit [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good to me. Saddle height could maybe go up a bit but you look comfortable. More so than the fit, I would look at your pedal stroke. In some of the pictures, it looks like your left knee comes in substantially during the stroke. Just the camera angle maybe?

During my fitting, I was shown something similar on my right knee when looking at the video and pictures from head on.
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my fit [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback Cup. I’ll elevate the saddle 1-2 mm and see how it feels. Might be the camera angle, but I’ll keep an eye on that knee on my next few rides.

How did you fix your knee coming in? Did you use some kind of insert on that leg or you just concentrated on keeping your knees tracking straight during the pedal stroke?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the fit we used an insole with a higher arch and that countered my weak knee coming in. I have flat feet and the arch actually worked to keep my knee in line. I've got a surgically repaired knee that's been weaker since then and I didn't notice it in the pedal stroke until I saw it during the fit process. Right now I make a conscious effort during pedaling to bring that knee straight up and down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry too much about the knee. might just be in that photo because you are slightly off balance due to the right hand. if you get knee/hip-pains maybe film yourself from the front on the trainer to check it out but otherwise it should be fine.

the bad part is that it looks to me that you would need maybe ~10-15cm more drop in order to get into a faster/more aero possition. it looks like you have long upper arms so will need a higher drop than most and you have very little (looks like ~5cm in the pics).
you might be able to squeeze out 5cm with a -35° stem and a flatter bar (like maybe one of the good felt bars) but other than that you would need a different frame. The reach looks pretty good to me but maybe you could get away with slightly less. So on that frame I think you would fit better on 2 sizes smaller with a slightly longer stem but probably a long/low frame would work better.

probalby not what you wanted to hear and maybe not what you are looking for anyway...
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my fit [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback jakob. Wow 10-15 cm lower is massive! I think I would either bleed power or won't be able to sustain the position for the whole bike leg of an Ironman. I think I'll start by bringing the front end lower in 1cm increments to ease into it (I'll get the -35 stem and work with arm pad spacers). Thanks for your recommendation regarding sizing and geometry. I'll keep that in mind for my next purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right....10-15cm is massive and likely wrong. That is 4-6".

That said, I absolutely agree that your front end is way too high. You need to do everything you can to get it down. Steeper negative rise stem, remove as many spacers as possible, etc. I don't know that you can get to an ideal position on that frame, but there are options for you to try and get as close as possible.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my fit [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Power. I'll drop as low as I can without it affecting my power numbers too much. I understand that power would drop by a few percents but the increase in aerodynamics makes it worth it. Also, what about rotating the body around the BB? Should I bring the saddle forward and up as I drop the front? If so, what are the guidelines?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah 15 cm might be on the high side. it is a bit hard to tell as the shirt is not tight around the chest (at least it looks that way)
even if you loose some power it will probalby be offset easily by the aero gains and a more aero possition doesn't have to be uncomfortable at all (maybe a little for the neck)

just try to look like this with a bit more reach as you are not bound by the UCI rules regarding saddle to tip of extention length.

if you don't have any races coming up soon I would rather just increase the drop as much as you can all at once instead of going down step by step. also when going lower you want to push the saddle forward so that you rotate around the BB instead of closing up the hip angle. I think you have enough reach so pushing the saddle a bit forward should be no problem. if you are buying a new -35° stem it might be a good idea to go maybe 20mm longer also as you will loose some reach due to the angle anyway for the same stem length
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy looks FAST! My next triathlon will be in 2016, so I have some time to play around with my position. What are the guidelines regarding bringing the saddle forward? I have a split nose saddle so it's fairly backed up. Should I bring it forward 0.5 cm every time I drop 2 cm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like you like to sit on the front of the saddle so you might not be as far back as you think. or that might be a sign that you actually prefer to sit steeper. who knows.

just slam the bars as much as you can. push the saddle a bit forward (maybe 2 cm as a start) and raise it slightly.

than put the bike on a trainer and take a pic from the side and post it here ;-)

I wouldn't give too much for guidlines and I don't think finding a good TT possition is just one-and-done but more like work in progress. it might feel strange at first so that you can only hold the aeroposition for maybe 10 minutes at a time but with more training your body will get used to it! just remember you are not on the bike to be comportable but to go as fast as possible from A to B!

also if you have a powermeter you might wana read up on the Chung-method for aero-fildtesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your bike time does not surprise me at IMLP, I looked figuring at best it would be 20mph and at 19.42 I was right. I guessed that because 50% of your back looks like you are on a century ride on a touring bike. then it curve at the top. parachute comes to mine. also, your adamo saddle looks to be angles down quite a bit. really seems you have not come to terms with rotating forward which explains the lack of drop. that, or you took the stock bike at the shop and never adjusted it to fit you. the 10-15cm, I thought was spot on even tho power13 did not. those stock bars on the p3 are not drop friendly, if you really want to see the aero gains, you might, in the future consider replacing them once you determine what a good fit is for you. I don't think we can give you adequate advice on this given the starting position, as we don't know why you are in that place to begin. are there reasons why you have no drop? (ie looks to be about 5-6cm max currently)

i'd say you need more drop and reach that you have now in order to get low and be comfortable. also need to figure out how to rotate forward(I am not going to be able to explain that, others here will) shrugging more and dropping your head will be immense help in aero and saved time on course.

your race wheel has a pie plate??!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my fit [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback jeffp.To answer your question, this is my first tri bike and the shop owner fitted me for comfort rather than speed. Since then, I worked a lot more seriously on the bike and started to lurk on Slowtwitch. Now that I start to understand the importance of aerodynamics in triathlon, I want to work my way to a more aggressive position.

Right now, I have a 90mm -17 stem. I am hesitating between a 110mm -35 stem (would add 14mm reach and drop 34mm) and a 120mm -35 stem (would add 24mm reach and drop 37mm). I would bring my saddle forward and slightly up to try and rotate my body around the BB. I just don’t know if 24mm reach increase would be too much.

What would be your recommendation regarding stem length ?

Once I get the parts, I'll post more pictures on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again jakob. I'll check out the Chung-method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElliotOP wrote:
Thanks Power. I'll drop as low as I can without it affecting my power numbers too much. I understand that power would drop by a few percents but the increase in aerodynamics makes it worth it. Also, what about rotating the body around the BB? Should I bring the saddle forward and up as I drop the front? If so, what are the guidelines?

Also, the lower position may affect your power numbers temporarily, but with some adaptation you will be back to where you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thread resurrection!!!!

So it's been two years and I've played A LOT with my position and equipment.
  • Dropped the front
  • Increased reach
  • Changed aerobars
  • Changed saddle

Here are two pictures that I took a few weeks ago with the crank perpendicular to the ground in both positions.

What do you think?

If possible, I would also like to get some feedback on equipment selection. The pictures above feature my training setup and clothes (it was cold AF!).

Race setup is :
  • BTA bottle
  • Nothing on downtube
  • BTS bottle and flat kit under saddle (tiny track tubular)
  • Xlab bento
  • Enve 6 front
  • Zipp super 9 back
  • Vittoria corsa G+ tubulars with sealant
  • Garneau M2 trisuit
  • Specialized Swork road shoes
  • Same Garneau P09 from 2 years ago that fits better with new position

Also, I'm waiting for an Omega X front brake, that I purchased on the classified.

Any low hanging fruits that I missed?

Thanks everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has your power output changed?
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my fit [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a few weeks, than it came back up. Now FTP is a little higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good​ to me.
Quote Reply