Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Please. Unplug.
Quote | Reply
I have noticed recently that more and more people are plugged into their iphones/mp3 players. I am not just talking about commuters, but also people fully kitted out. Headphones looped through helmets, etc. You can't hear other riders, are distracted, and are a danger to yourself and other riders. I almost crashed when I tried to pass someone on a climb after shouting "on your left", and the rider didn't hear me, and then started to slide to the left. If you are going to be plugged in, stay on the trainer at home.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed this more recently as well. What happened to enjoying being outside?? Music on the trainer...I get it, I need it as well... Music outside is unnecessary and dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Not just safety but socially I think it retards out society. I ran a marathon yesterday (the Mount Desert Island marathon near Acadia Maine) About half the people on the course were in their own world totally self absorbed.

During the 3 to 4 hours it takes the average guy or gall to complete the marathon can't you be present in the moment and aware of your surroundings???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. I always ride with headphones when solo. Always have. Likely always will. I enjoy it and it doesn't hinder my ability to hear much more than wind noise does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
I have noticed recently that more and more people are plugged into their iphones/mp3 players. I am not just talking about commuters, but also people fully kitted out. Headphones looped through helmets, etc. You can't hear other riders, are distracted, and are a danger to yourself and other riders. I almost crashed when I tried to pass someone on a climb after shouting "on your left", and the rider didn't hear me, and then started to slide to the left. If you are going to be plugged in, stay on the trainer at home.

I'd say that was your fault if you were so close that them "staring to slide over" put you in their immediate vicinity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:

No thanks. I've done hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of solo hours with earbuds and not had issues with other riders or vehicles.

Solo riders should be reasonably expected to hold line and check their corner before making big movements but they have the right of way. Passing riders should be expected to pass and give the person ahead (who has right of way) enough room to ride their line with some grace for movement. Also, it can be pretty hard to make out what people yell out from behind even in the best of times.

You wouldn't tell a deaf rider to stay at home on the trainer would you?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by beachedbeluga [ In reply to ]
Re: Please. Unplug. [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedalbiker wrote:
I disagree. I always ride with headphones when solo. Always have. Likely always will. I enjoy it and it doesn't hinder my ability to hear much more than wind noise does.

You must play your music very quietly then. Otherwise, there is no way it doesn't hinder your hearing as much as wind noise does...c'mon man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it illegal? This chart suggests only three states have made it illegal to wear at all (some it's illegal in both ears, but not one).

http://img.gawkerassets.com/...ograpgic_final_2.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't tell a deaf rider to stay home, but I would certainly tell someone to take out their headphones. Willingly being distracted is different than being deaf. Some states have laws against wearing headphones while driving due to the inability to hear the surroundings. And my guess is that you have also driven hundreds and hundreds of hours without an accident- do you still wear your seatbelt every time you get in a car?

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
pedalbiker wrote:

You must play your music very quietly then. Otherwise, there is no way it doesn't hinder your hearing as much as wind noise does...c'mon man!

Maybe so. I have it loud enough that on most days I can hear it all times, but there are times on descents when I can't hear it due to wind noise.

There are times I can hear cars with headphones on and I can't hear cars without headphones on. Wind noise can be pretty significant. I've done rides where someone pulls up just a bit behind me on the side and I can't hear them due to wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to tell the world to unplug please tell the world when it's acceptable "to you of course" to have headphones on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
I wouldn't tell a deaf rider to stay home, but I would certainly tell someone to take out their headphones. Willingly being distracted is different than being deaf. Some states have laws against wearing headphones while driving due to the inability to hear the surroundings. And my guess is that you have also driven hundreds and hundreds of hours without an accident- do you still wear your seatbelt every time you get in a car?

If you won't tell a deaf rider to stay at home then you have no basis for telling someone else to take out their headphones riding solo.

You have a false claim: Wearing headphones (with music) does not mean you are distracted. You can claim that headphones prevent you from receiving outside auditory stimulus but not that a rider is distracted. How could a I, as a rider, be "distracted" and yet I avoid potholes/road debris, pass other riders, hold my lines on the road, watch out for traffic, check for traffic when I come to possible conflicts at intersections and crossings?

You can't hear jack shit when driving a car, windows up, A/C and the radio on. If hearing were a safety requirement for driving radios and windows would be against the law. Get real with your arguments. You think truck drivers can hear anything in their cabs over the diesel engines?

Lastly, just because a state has a law doesn't mean the law has any basis in safety or reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no reason to say on your left anymore. Most people are wearing headphones and the ones that aren't just swerve into you.

I never say anything, I just assume they can't hear me coming and are going to do something stupid.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
I have noticed this more recently as well. What happened to enjoying being outside?? Music on the trainer...I get it, I need it as well... Music outside is unnecessary and dangerous.

Music outside is very necessary during tough workouts alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the northern 'burbs of Chicago. There is ALWAYS a car behind me. Why do I need to "hear it"? How does a car that is passing you sound differently than a car about to plow into you? Moreover, how are you gonna react fast enough to do anything about it?

If you passed a rider w/o ensuring they were aware of you, that is on you.

When I ride solo, I ride with music. I do so because 1) I love riding and 2) I love music. Put the two together and it is a wonderful experience for me. When I ride in groups, or on more empty roads, the ear buds come out.

Yes, my risks increase slightly...slightly...by riding with buds. I have discussed this with my family and we accept that risk increase. So it really doesn't concern you.

But I also ride with the volume fairly low, and as someone else noted, there are often times when I can't hear the music because of wind noise. But I can almost always hear a car passing me before it does.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:

+1

And all the negative responses just show how little people know about being distracted. And the argument about "it being the same as being deaf" is totally ludicrous. Deaf people know they can't hear and compensate for it. Yahoos with ear buds have no concept of what is happening around them - they hear one loud vehicle and now figure they can hear everything. I pass close because I don't want to get run over by the car behind me. Maintain your line and I don't have a problem. When I can hear your crap as I cycle by, it is far too loud. At least when I'm out running, I can put a shoulder into you when you decide to wander across the pathway while having no idea what you are doing.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
I agree. Not just safety but socially I think it retards out society. I ran a marathon yesterday (the Mount Desert Island marathon near Acadia Maine) About half the people on the course were in their own world totally self absorbed.

During the 3 to 4 hours it takes the average guy or gall to complete the marathon can't you be present in the moment and aware of your surroundings???

L

O

L
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Cat 1 pedalbiker".

What is that? I have to admit I've never heard that term.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
but also people fully kitted out. Headphones looped through helmets, etc. You can't hear other riders, are distracted, and are a danger to yourself and other riders.
No I'm not a danger to myself or other riders.

Oh, and you don't have to shout or say anything to me if you're passing me. If I'm going to move, I look first. Always.

And shouting is kind of douchey BTW. Please don't. Please. Shut up with the shouting.

Pantelones wrote:
Solo riders should be reasonably expected to hold line and check their corner before making big movements but they have the right of way. Passing riders should be expected to pass and give the person ahead (who has right of way) enough room to ride their line with some grace for movement.
+1

I'll add that when people in front of me swerve toward me, I'm annoyed about the swerving. Not their hearing or music or whatever. Don't turn without looking. It's pretty simple.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Oct 20, 14 19:17
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pedalbiker [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: pedalbiker: Oct 20, 14 19:18
Re: Please. Unplug. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
"Cat 1 pedalbiker".

Just me. I pedal a bike. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pedalbiker wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
"Cat 1 pedalbiker".

Just me. I pedal a bike. :D

Yeah, I got that part. What about the "Cat 1" aspect of it?

Are you a pro level pedalbiker?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
beachedbeluga wrote:

+1

And all the negative responses just show how little people know about being distracted. And the argument about "it being the same as being deaf" is totally ludicrous. Deaf people know they can't hear and compensate for it. Yahoos with ear buds have no concept of what is happening around them - they hear one loud vehicle and now figure they can hear everything. I pass close because I don't want to get run over by the car behind me. Maintain your line and I don't have a problem. When I can hear your crap as I cycle by, it is far too loud. At least when I'm out running, I can put a shoulder into you when you decide to wander across the pathway while having no idea what you are doing.

I think the main issue is people's behavior while wearing headphones, rather than the headphones themselves. More often than not, people wearing headphones ALSO ride like an idiot (not maintaining their line, not paying attention to surroundings, etc.). It's the people who ride like idiots who bother me. I couldn't care less if they are wearing headphones, as long as they are riding how a cyclist is supposed to.
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run with music.
I ride with music.
I drive my car with music
I workout with music
I swim with music.
I also will listen to an audiobook (Audible member).

If it's a long run/ride, I'll unplug for awhile. My volume is turned low. I run against traffic so it's a non-factor. Biking I have my head on a swivel so I'm very aware of my surroundings. I also bike in the boonies so don't see too many cars. If I were in a higher traffic area, I'd unplug.

The issue I have with technology are the selfies. Last 25k race I did people were running like they were drunk because they were too busy trying to take a selfie. I mentioned that on this board and most members supported the selfie thing and said it was my job to run around those people. I watched a local 10k where the lady trying to take a selfie ran right into the guard rail and down the ravine. It pretty damn funny.

Prev Next