Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Planet X
Quote | Reply
I'm giving serous thought to the Planet X stealth. Anyone have first hand experience with them? Easy to fit? How fast is delivery? How much assembly is required?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the stealth was my first tri bike. Pretty solid build (nothing drops off), basic design which was used in the tour by Cadel Evans way back. Easy-ish to fit given that it's a standard stem and bar design. Good to pack down and travel with, easy to together - I travelled most of the globe with mine and didn't get broken by baggage handlers. It's done thousands of miles on mine, and it's still going strong (it's now my back-up tribike if anything should happen to the canyon).

Be aware that the back doesn't have the clearance for a 25 tire though.

It's a good, solid, but basic, tribike. Time and design has moved on since it was made, but there's still a lot of them around in the UK and they're priced to sell.

There's a good argument to made for spending a little extra on the exocet 2 as it's a more up to date design, but it still retains the good qualities of the stealth.

Don't know about delivery - I picked mine up from a retailer in the UK - but most deliveries from PX are prompt in my experience.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a frame from them a few weeks ago.
They shipped on a Monday and I received it on Wednesday. (UK to Michigan)

It was just a frame so I cannot comment on assembly.

All of the measurements for fitting are on their website.

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: May 2, 16 14:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size are you looking at? I rode one for a couple years, but moved on and am looking to offload it

ETA I liked the frame, it was just a little too small and after a proper fitting, we jimmied something together to make it fit, but it wasn't perfect
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 2, 16 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owned one for several years until I hit the front of a car that cut me up at about 20mph. I have no issues with the bike and a lot more $ will not get you much more. Theres definitely a point of diminishing returns on investment
and the stealth sat way beyond the point where alot more dollars will only give you a small return. The crash damage was interesting as the fork appeared to be undamaged but the frame had bent to the point where the down tube was semi crushed, not sure if the frame had somehow crushed against the car or the fork. No bike wouldve survived that crash but the bike lasted happily as a race bike then commuter for several years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really great bike, In the UK the Exocet is the same price so that may be worth a look as it has a steeper seattube and saddles 2 positions. Plus internal cable routing etc.

Both offer a great bike for not much money, The Stealth is a easy build with external cables, threaded BB. You'll just need to cut the fork and seatpost really.

I had a Stealth a while back, went to a more expensive integrated bike after that and now back on an Exocet which I'm faster on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got one - great bike - cheap as chips relatively speaking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Built one up for this year and am well impressed. Kitted out with Disc and Tri Spoke it rides very well. Slightly relaxed seat tube angle but still possible to get a decent set up. It's not the frame that makes you go fast, it's the legs !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a fan of planet X's own brand 'carbon stealth' aero bar, but that is going to be a personal fit thing. The issue is that you can't rotate the extensions up/down without rotating the whole base bar which defeats the wing shape. I found the extensions awkward on my wrists without this rotation. The only other downside I see with the stealth is that the Exocet 2 is a better bike at nearly the same price (in the UK at least).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode one for years (shameless plug, i have a review in my blog) and while it's a pretty good bang for your buck IF you want new and carbon specifically... if going fast is the goal then you should spend your money on a good used frame. Plenty of faster options out there for equal or lesser $. It was also so nice to work on compared to new generation bikes ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I decided on an Exocet 2 after looking around and considering value for money etc - I ended up with a full campag build. I really like it, but cant compare to other tri bikes and give you an honest comparison as I haven't owned any other tri bikes.

I was a bit concerned with some of the customer service reports I had read on the net but I have never come up against any issues with PX either before of after the buying the Exocet (I have used them for MTB components for quite a few years now). Being in the UK, I took two trips to see them when I got the bike. Both times they were very helpful and I couldn't recommend them highly enough - I don't think many large retailers would accommodate a customer by leaving them and their fitter in the store long after official closing hours ... :-)

@ scott8888 : Have you tried the MKII extensions ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had on for the last couple of years.

I picked mine up - but I've had bikes delivered in the past and it's a 5 minute job to get it ready to ride.

I went for a bike fit and got the upward extensions instead of the flat tri bar extensions - I can't get on with those.

I see they now offer it with drop bars (!) and they offer 25mm tyres on that - so you may be able to use wider tyres depending on brand.

The frame has been raced in the TdF under another brand so I'm happy with that - I can't justify spending thousands on a bike that gets raced a few days per year - but does get a shed load of turbo sessions.
Quote Reply