Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Planet X Exocet 2
Quote | Reply

Just built it a few nights ago. Only one TT so far and I am absolutely in love. Just figured I would share how it turned out. Gonna tidy up the brake cable a bit but otherwise I think I am done. Easiest bike I have ever cabled. Looks like the improvements over the original Exocet were well thought out. Running a 23mm rear is no longer a problem at all and it shifts effortlessly. Not sure about the wheel stickers yet. Might just stay stealth. What do you think??

Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [EricB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fantastic build! I love the way you parted out the components. Enjoy that beaut!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. She's puurty. Where'd you get it...Ohio cycle works? Px USA direct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, yes, and yes!
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [rferic18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I got it from Titus Bikes out of Oregon. They are owned by PX now and are an absolute pleasure to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice, love the color :P (or lack thereof)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful! Nice job, and congratulations!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!Here is mine

Did you try the Omega on the rear brake? Would it fit?

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a negative Ghostrider!! Just won't work with the built in hanger. Maybe if you remove it and fab some sort of custom hanger. Love your bike!! Go Fast!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice Top Gun quote!
I didn't think it would without some heavy modification (ala Tom A.)

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well sure. Any topic about Exocet has got to have a Top Gun quote in it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!!!

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there room for 25mm tires for both front and rear?
Last edited by: joesmith: Jul 20, 12 18:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks very good.

So is the frame and the seatpost actually kind of a raw (or clear coated) UD carbon? Or is the whole thing actually painted a dark gray?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is plenty of room for 25mm tires. The color is actually a Matt gray. Pretty cool in person. I was hoping for the raw carbon look of the prototype but the gray looks pretty cool wicked also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EH, nice bike too...

Interested though in that large bottle you have on the down tube, what brand is it, and does it have Camelbak Podium lid on it?

Been looking for a large bottle, have found the Tefal Magnum 1L but it has a large lid and won't take the Specialized standard lid top.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [rideronthestorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rideronthestorm:
it is a Polar 24oz insulated bottle, with a camelbak lid on it. The lid that came with it was not as good as the podium lids.
I think it keeps water colder marginally longer than the podium insulated.

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful bike.

Genuine question here - how do we know how aero any of these bikes are? Any of the bikes that haven't appeared in windtunnel comparison data?

I ask because there are a couple of bikes I'm interested in but have become paranoid about anything that hasn't appeared in someone's white papers.
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [Shg101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shg101, To my knowledge, there are no published white papers on this frame.I hear they are out there but nothing has surface. I used to obsess over the tiniest of aero tidbits but then I realized...... I AM SLOW!! When I get up to 5 w/kg, then maybe I will start sweating the small things. Until then, I am just going to work on getting stronger. I built this bike to be comfortable and look aero....whether it is or not :) Who knows?? I have seen some very impressive TT times from guys across the pond riding this frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compare the headtube of the planet x vs p2/p3. The answer should be fairly obvious.
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Care to spare me some Googling and enlighten me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That should give you an idea. The tapered headtube of the Cervelo is considered by many to be a more aerodynamic profile than the oversized conical headtube on the Exocet, which uou can see on post #1

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Aug 19, 12 1:35
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to note about aerodynamics, looks have little to do with it. Besides, look at the front end EricB's bike compared to the Cervelo/TRP setup.

Not every bike company has the ability to copy the clean front end-ed Speed Concept; Consider the front end of the bike alone (?) as one component of the frame, doesn't the rest of the bike play a role too....
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Exocet 2 [SAHcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you say "looks have little to do with it," you could be right, in that if what you're looking at isn't relevant. However, if you are looking at frontal area vs. side area you're probably getting a decent idea of the bikes aerodynamics. Of course its not as sound as a wind tunnel, but there is obviously a reason that most of the "super bikes" have headtubes close to 25mm. And bikes that don't, like the Shiv, make use of massive tube depth to maintain the aspect ratio.

There is a member here who long before lots of the bike aero tests had been released was going shop to shop with a caliper measuring TT bikes' aspect ratios of all of their tubes. There is a strong correlation between the narrow/deep bikes and aero performance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next