Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Places to swim in Sarasota
Quote | Reply
And also close to Nathan Benderson Park.
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Sarasota [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do the Storm swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm moving there in a week. I have been down several times scouting out facilities. The best is the Selby Aquatic Center at the Potter Park YMCA. Pro Matt Russel trains there. The hours aren't great though. There's some LA Fitness clubs that are nice and there are several public pools that are nice. Lido Key Beach and Arlington Park have 50 meter outdoor pools available for use at $4 a day or membership options. I'm going to be following this thread to see if I missed anything. Good luck, i'll be a permanent resident in 8 days, perhaps our paths will cross.
Last edited by: crujones#33: Jan 22, 17 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Sarasota [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll likely do long boat key tri in may. I tried thru internet to find good places and like you found pickings slim. I am spoiled now as i have access to good college pool. We have la fitness too, but they pretty much suck in comparison. Summers may be good but i like swim training year round as i grew up without that background. Good luck in your new home. Hope the local tri community helps us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you have scouted the area out, if no too much trouble, a list of good biking (paths or biker friendly) areas and a good track for some run interval training. I am looking for home there too, which part of town did you like and why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
I'm moving there in a week. I have been down several times scouting out facilities. The best is the Selby Aquatic Center at the Potter Park YMCA. Pro Matt Russel trains there. The hours aren't great though. There's some LA Fitness clubs that are nice and there are several public pools that are nice. Lido Key Beach and Arlington Park have 50 meter outdoor pools available for use at $4 a day or membership options. I'm going to be following this thread to see if I missed anything. Good luck, i'll be a permanent resident in 8 days, perhaps our paths will cross.

The Storm Tri Club has a deal to use the pool at the Sun 'n Fun Resort in Fruitville Rd east of I-75

The YMCA Sharks Masters swim at Selby in the mornings. The 5:30AM group swims to some pretty demanding intervals, I think around 1:30/100. You have to call ahead if you plan to swim with them. They post their morning workouts on their USMS blog page. They also have a Saturday morning open water swim at Siesta Beach. You can get more info on their website.

I swim at Arlington Park with the Tsunami Masters. We have a 6:00-7:30PM practice every morning. We're swimming short course right now, but later in the Spring will alternate between short course and long course. $7 drop-in fee and you need to be a USMS member. Less structured than the Sharks; our coach usually makes up two workouts, a IM stroke based workout and a separate Tri workout with some longer sets.

Lido is only a 25 yard 4-lane pool, not 50 meters.

Both Arlington and Lido charge $4/day during open swim hours, $2/day if over 50.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Sarasota [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you recommend good biking and track for run intervals? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Could you recommend good biking and track for run intervals? Thanks

The Storm Tri Club uses Benderson Park for bike/run brick workouts during the season. Usually a one hour bike followed by a 30 minute run.

In the past they've also held track sessions at the Brookside Middle School track.

The Manasota Track Club has a lot of regular group runs. On Tuesdays during the summer they have a weekly beach run at Siesta Beach at 7PM, usually around 5K. A lot of triathletes will do an open water swim, then do the run afterwards.

The Legacy Trail (a converted rail line) is popular for cycling. It runs from Clark Rd down to Venice, FL.

Village Bikes has group rides out of both their shops in Sarasota and Lakewood Ranch. Mostly on the weekends now, but also during the week later in the year when the days get longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now after settling in any different recommendations on swim bike run places? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In-laws live there and I have spent a good bit of time there. Recs above are all pretty solid.

Selby is your best bet for swimming. The sharks are/were a really good masters squad. I believe the coach's name is Rick. As mentioned, they do also do a Saturday open water swim on Siesta Key which is cool. They do it just about year round. I recall going in February. But depending on where you live in town the Berlin Y has a decent indoor pool. Used to stay pretty busy.

The cycling pretty much blows. You can ride the legacy trail but it isn't going to be great for any kind of hard riding. Lots of old folks as I am sure you can imagine. Lido to Longboat up to Anna Maria would probably be better for intervals. Obviously going to be some wind. We moved away about when I was just starting to get out and explore some other options but I suspect if you go more inland (west of 75 towards lakewood ranch and/or myakka) you may find some better options.
Last edited by: StuckJB: Apr 6, 17 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Palmer Ranch and do almost all of my runs on the Legacy Trail which is about a mile from my doorstep. I've tried riding on this trail but it's just not appropriate for really hard efforts of any speed. I also created a running route that I do on Sunday Mornings around Siesta Key that I can stretch anywhere from 10-15 miles. For riding I only ride outdoors once a week on Saturday mornings. The south end of Honore Ave is pretty good, I usually ride that up and down a few times between Palmer Ranch and Venice. It's flat and fast with reasonably light traffic. I joined the Storm club and we have OWS at Siesta Key almost every day. I've done the Sunday morning swim with them a few times. As far as pools go I'm at the Potter Park YMCA. The outdoor pool here called the Selby Aquatic Center is a world class facility but hours suck unless you join the Sharks masters club. I can only use it on the weekends. The indoor pool is so-so, they keep it too warm and it's not a very vibrant facility for serious athletes. I'm actually trying to find more outdoor cycling routes, I'll let you know. Feel free to send me a PM.
Last edited by: crujones#33: Apr 6, 17 13:08
Quote Reply