Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Piriformus Syndrome...
Quote | Reply
Okay, let me start this by saying I searched, and found LOTS of good information. Just posting to see if anyone has anything to add, or this "helped them".

Background: ran a Half marathon 2 weeks ago. Roughly was doing 30+ mpw leading up to it. All was good. Had a good race. After the race I waited a week to get back on the legs to just get them to recover. The second week I did some light jogging and I noticed a tingling/numbness/pain in my right calf. But not in the calf, under it. And I could feel a twings in my right butt cheek...but at the base of it...but inside it. Blah blah blah. Ran through it, but just slowly. It didn't really affect my run and sometimes after a bit of running (3 miles or so) it'd feel better. Thought maybe just a strain. Finally went to do a nice slow 7 miler and at mile 4 it was bothering me enough to call for a ride. I didn't want my stride and everything to change/compensate and then hurt other parts of me. So...did some research, and had a tough massage (worked pretty good) in which I learned stretching (the pigeon, and Brett's post from here) would be the "cure". Took a week off of running to stretch each day, and 3 -4 times a day. Jogged for about 10 seconds yesterday and it was back to hurting/feeling weird.

My next move is to get a lacrosse ball to "get in deep", which I haven't done yet as I thought stretching would be enough.

This sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformus Syndrome... [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Okay, let me start this by saying I searched, and found LOTS of good information. Just posting to see if anyone has anything to add, or this "helped them".

Background: ran a Half marathon 2 weeks ago. Roughly was doing 30+ mpw leading up to it. All was good. Had a good race. After the race I waited a week to get back on the legs to just get them to recover. The second week I did some light jogging and I noticed a tingling/numbness/pain in my right calf. But not in the calf, under it. And I could feel a twings in my right butt cheek...but at the base of it...but inside it. Blah blah blah. Ran through it, but just slowly. It didn't really affect my run and sometimes after a bit of running (3 miles or so) it'd feel better. Thought maybe just a strain. Finally went to do a nice slow 7 miler and at mile 4 it was bothering me enough to call for a ride. I didn't want my stride and everything to change/compensate and then hurt other parts of me. So...did some research, and had a tough massage (worked pretty good) in which I learned stretching (the pigeon, and Brett's post from here) would be the "cure". Took a week off of running to stretch each day, and 3 -4 times a day. Jogged for about 10 seconds yesterday and it was back to hurting/feeling weird.

My next move is to get a lacrosse ball to "get in deep", which I haven't done yet as I thought stretching would be enough.

This sucks!

Rarely is pure stretching the key to anything and that comes from someone who has been tight as tiger since the 3rd grade. What I have learned over my years is that it is much more about functional mobility and movements. Your muscles can often be tight because they or something else is weak. Generally speaking, unless something is broken it is best to stay somewhat in motion. Not to say pulling the plug wasn't a great idea but movement and blood to the area is key.

Now Lacrosse Balls are awesome and one of the few things on the short list of mobility/recovery tools people should have but I wouldn't get too aggressive. Ideally you just want to break up the scar tissue/fascia etc. While I do like a Lacrosse Ball for the hips, I can only use it against the wall really effectively. If I am on the floor, and especially as my first ball of choice with injury, because it is a lot softer but still firm, I much prefer this 5 inch ball. You can also pick one up at your local Walmart for $10 under the Gold's label. It works great for the hips glutes, quads, hamstrings in a kinder gentler way for damaged tissue.

I don't know enough about your post 7-days after the half-marathon but it is good to get out there to promote blood flow. Best way is just thru walking and swimming but the body does like to stay in motion I have found.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformus Syndrome... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Post 7 days was active, but not going to hard as my legs were sore from the half.

I've been told that the ball will be key to get in there and get a release. So, i'll try that. I plan to start running again on it (if it isn't going to get better by not running...might as well run), but will keep it to about 3.5 mile per run (daily running).

So stupid. When I was out of shape I never got hurt (though it could have been because I never did anything that could "hurt").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Thanks. Post 7 days was active, but not going to hard as my legs were sore from the half.

I've been told that the ball will be key to get in there and get a release. So, i'll try that. I plan to start running again on it (if it isn't going to get better by not running...might as well run), but will keep it to about 3.5 mile per run (daily running).

So stupid. When I was out of shape I never got hurt (though it could have been because I never did anything that could "hurt").

That region is very tricky, You could get many different diagnosis from different types of therapy provides/doctors etc. Would never hurt to do a good little strength routine even if it is just to do squats with bar in a gym once in a while.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is to get in and see a PT immediately, if not sooner. I experienced this in April 2016 and it was some of the worst pain I have ever felt. I went nights without being able to get comfortable and therefore, no sleep. I tried the stretches that were suggested on this forum. Although they provided temporary relief, it didn't last for more than several hours after. I had six sessions with the PT which included massage, electrical stimulation and different stretches in two weeks. It went away and has not come back. Don't mess around with this.
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformus Syndrome... [scooter58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have "bad pain". I walk pain free. I sleep just fine. But when I try to "explode" off of my right foot there is a loss of power, a bit of pain (but a pain in a numbness kind of way). I've heard the sciatica pain that people have, and it being unbearable to sit in a car or what not, and I don't have that.

Though I am schedule for another deep tissue massage.

ETA: ran today. Running was fine. Felt the tingle/numbness/pain in he calf (and a little bit in the lower ass cheek/upper hamstring) but my pace was good and stride was good. I do know that I don't think I could push through for more than 4-5 miles. Going to keep this week at the 3.5 mile route for each day and see how the leg responds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True piriformis syndrome is relatively rare. You are more likely describing pain referred from the lower back. Get this seen by a PT as it seems more like you are experiencing nerve root impingement which occurs at the spine not piriformis. Ball rolling won't help. Activity traditionally is better, however left unmanaged is possible to get worse. Find a McKenzie credentialed PT, do your homework and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Piriformus Syndrome... [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) weighted clam shell exercise to rebuild the muscle cushion there
2) you tube piriformis stretch video by triathlete on here... you are sittin on chair, put irritated leg ankle on knee, and bend forward
Quote Reply