Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pirformis syndrome? How long does it last?
Quote | Reply
Any slowtwitchers every have piriformis syndrome? How did you get over it and dies riding make it worse?
Quote Reply
Re: Pirformis syndrome? How long does it last? [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Massage, consistent stretching and rolling at least 2x/day, and eased back on running for a couple of months before a patient and steady rebuild on the mileage. Can really mess up the running mechanics, which can lead to various other injuries.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have it really bad. Watch this video for the fix and read all the comments. (Me in the video). It's gotten over a million views for a reason, obviously not for the video quality, but because it works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk

Oh, and to answer your question - It'll last FOREVER and keep getting worse if you don't fix your behavior that's causing it. People spend the rest of their lives in pain and blowing a ton of money to try to get it fixed, when there's actually some simple things you can do that make it go away NOW for FREE.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: texafornia: Feb 1, 15 3:47
Quote Reply
Re: Pirformis syndrome? How long does it last? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
I used to have it really bad. Watch this video for the fix and read all the comments. (Me in the video). It's gotten over a million views for a reason, obviously not for the video quality, but because it works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk

Oh, and to answer your question - It'll last FOREVER and keep getting worse if you don't fix your behavior that's causing it. People spend the rest of their lives in pain and blowing a ton of money to try to get it fixed, when there's actually some simple things you can do that make it go away NOW for FREE.

x2 on this. My case never got terrible, but I was almost resigned to "managing" the pain until I found this video and focused on strengthening supporting muscle groups.
This video and the website http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com helped me get over mine. Also, triggerpoint and crossfriction with a lacrosse ball in addition to glute rolling.

And texafornia...thanks so much for this video. There were times I never thought I would get rid of the pain until I found this!
Quote Reply
Re: Pirformis syndrome? How long does it last? [japewang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
were you able to ride with PS, or does that make it worse?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. The foam rolling and stretching helped me to manage discomfort. I didnt 'solve' it until i took time off to strengthen supporting muscle groups and attack the issue head on. Lots and lots of triggerpoint and stretching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recovering Piriformic...for the past 18 months.
Riding had little impact on mine. Running & sitting for long periods of time were/are the killers. Ortho guy suggested surgery as a remedy (this after CT scan & saline solution injection, MRI). Also suggested alternative medicine. Osteopath & Physical Therapists put me on a strengthening regime & limited me to running no more than 4 times a week. Symptoms have greatly alleviated. Long runs are 7 miles for me now. No gloom & doom though. Time & patience are the key.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's going on is some people (around 20%) have their sciatic nerve running through the piriformis muscle instead of around it. It's the muscle that turns your leg so your feet point out to the side instead of the front. If you sleep, drive, sit at work, whatever with your foot laid over to the side, that muscle is activated for long periods of time. The muscle gets inflamed, then puts pressure on the nerve.

You cannot get rid of piriformis syndrome until you stop the behavior of laying your leg over to the side with your foot splayed out. Massaging and all the other stuff is just a band-aid.

When you sleep, make sure your feet point up or just sleep on your side. When you drive, put a rolled-up towel between your leg and the door to make your knee vertical. When you sit at work, put your feet on the ground wider than your knees so your knees point in instead of out. That's the cure, because the problem is you. Upside is that it's free.

I used to have it so bad, I though I'd never bike or drive again. Now it's gone, gone, gone!

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting, I have hard of people putting a strap around their knees while driving so that the knees stayed aligned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Do a towel instead until you train yourself to stop altogether. Making your feet wider than knees is the real key. Your knees can't splay out if you do that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience with this pain in the ass is that I'd experience it while driving our Mustang w/o cruise over long distances and toward the end of long hard running efforts.

However, after doing this that all changed, nearly overnight: kylekranz.com/how-i-cured-sciatica/

I would go through that routine 2-3 times daily. It was such an incredible change. I've probably felt it less than 5 times in the last year and I've stopped doing the routine.

I tried your video Bret, and using the ball made it much more effective.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply