Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Piecemeal upgrade to Ultegra?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I am beginning the transition on my trusty road bike (Scott Speedster S20 à la 2011) from Shimano 105 (5700 groupset) to Ultegra (probably 6700 to stay 10s). This is precipitated by a couple of things: (1) a busted RD at a race in Puerto Rico leading to an installation of a Tiagra RD and (2) a newfound interest in tinkering with my bike and a local shop that I can rent time and tools at.

I looked at Shimano's Compatibility Chart (found here - Download) and it SEEMS to be the case that I can mix and match my 10s components so that I don't have issues along the way. My pockets are not in a deep enough place that I can replace everything at once, so I'm planning to slowly do it.

That said, can I slowly upgrade to Ultegra? My plan is to pick up the components in some order like this:

-RD
-FD
-Chain
-Cassette
-Crank
-Brake/Shifters

Will this work or should I just wait and save and do it all at once?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I searched but after few pages in, I didn't find quite the same question I'm asking.
Quote Reply
Re: Piecemeal upgrade to Ultegra? [thepachman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will work so long as you go from 10-speed to 10-speed. And you most likely won't even notice a difference!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would save the money, there's not enough of a performance jump from 5700 to 6700 to justify the upgrade effort and price.

If you want to upgrade, go to 6800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think rd and shifters should be the first 2 things replaced if you really want to "feel" your upgrade rather than just see it on the scale (kind of)

Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Piecemeal upgrade to Ultegra? [RobbyT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt anyone could tell a shifting difference between a 5700 and 6700 RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Piecemeal upgrade to Ultegra? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then if the goal is to shave weight, crank should be #1.

Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I would save the money, there's not enough of a performance jump from 5700 to 6700 to justify the upgrade effort and price.

If you want to upgrade, go to 6800.

If I do this though, won't I need to upgrade multiple components at once as the 6800 is 11s? If not, or if that's not really an issue, then maybe this is the route I will go.

rijndael wrote:
I highly doubt anyone could tell a shifting difference between a 5700 and 6700 RD.

But I'm on a 4601 RD.

RobbyT wrote:
Then if the goal is to shave weight, crank should be #1.

It's not. My frame is Aluminum and the only carbon on my bike is the fork. And I'm 210 so shaving weight is not a priority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not, but you can probably feel the difference between one groupset and another. Doing it this way probably won't give OP that one off feeling that "this is better" since the improvement is incremental but in the long run it will be better.

And it sounds like he wants to tinker, its fun to tinker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thepachman wrote:
But I'm on a 4601 RD.
I still don't think you'll notice. There is a longer-term durability improvement if you jumped to 6700, but not in shifting performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Piecemeal upgrade to Ultegra? [gtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtyrrell wrote:
And it sounds like he wants to tinker, its fun to tinker.
I don't disagree that tinkering is fun. Tinker on cheaper parts and not more expensive parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are upgrading I'd upgrade to 11 speed 6800 because that's the only upgrade you'll notice in the rear IMO.

I went from 10 speed 105 to DA9000. The shifting performance increase is 0....or at least very close to zero in the rear derailleur. The front shifting is a performance increase with DA9000.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply