Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pick 5: 70.3 races...
Quote | Reply
If you could only chose 5 of the following races to build your 2018 schedule, which would you chose, and why?

• Puerto Rico 70.3 | 03/18
  • St. George 70.3 | 05/18
  • Syracuse 70.3 | 06/18
  • Racine 70.3 | 07/18 * Lake Placid (making this an option per comments)
  • Steelhead 70.3 | 08/18
  • Augusta 70.3 | 09/18
  • Wilmington 70.3 | 10/18
  • Los Cabos 70.3 | 11/18
  • Cartegana 70.3 | 12/18

Last edited by: LifeTri: Jun 21, 17 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Los Cabo's has a travel warning issued from the US State Department. Last week (or week before) they found a mass grave on the beach. Gangs are fighting each other.

I'm leaving for my honeymoon in two weeks to Cabo San Lucas so I was a little concerned about it. I've never been to the area. San Lucas is deemed safer than Los Cabos, from what I'm told. I've read a lot about the warning and apparently it's still very very safe there.

Quote | Reply
So you would leave it on your list?

Enjoy the honey moon, and congratulations. The wife and I are going to Mexico for our 6 year anniversary at the end of the month, gulf coast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
If you could only chose 5 of the following races to build your 2018 schedule, which would you chose, and why?

• Syracuse 70.3 | 06/18
  • Racine 70.3 | 07/18
  • Steelhead 70.3 | 08/18
  • Augusta 70.3 | 09/18
  • Los Cabos 70.3 | 11/18
  • Cartegana 70.3 | 12/18

Take Racine off. The bike course gets worse and worse every year. If your dream ride is to set concrete blocks end to end for 56 miles and smash cracks for two hours, sign up though.

These are allll over the map. Any reason you're sticking to WTC stuff? Any geographic area you're looking for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of these?

• Puerto Rico 70.3 | 03/18 - Y
  • St. George 70.3 | 05/18 - Y
  • Syracuse 70.3 | 06/18
  • Racine 70.3 | 07/18 - Y
  • Steelhead 70.3 | 08/18
  • Augusta 70.3 | 09/18 - Y
  • Los Cabos 70.3 | 11/18 - Y
  • Cartegana 70.3 | 12/18

My own list wouldn't be too far off...
Puerto Rico
St.George
Mont Tremblant
Maine
NOLA

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC is what I know and they are supposed to be some of the most well organized. They also have done a nice job with marketing for events. If there are other worthwhile series/events out there I am all ears.

As for geographical area, I actually live IN the city of Philadelphia and have access to a HUB airport. I also use to play puck in college and am not afraid of a long drive.

Notes take on Racine...if the race is so bad why did they so many pros racing it this past year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this thread for some ideas of non-WTC races, there are plenty.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Favorite_70.3_course_(North_America)_P5602628/?search_string=non%20wtc%20him#p5602628

Rev3 is also well organized and has two HIMs nearby, Poconos in August and Quassy in Junne. Some people like the Toughman just north of NYC but I've never done it.

A friend just did Patriot half and loved it.

Plenty of nonWTC out there!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
WTC is what I know and they are supposed to be some of the most well organized. They also have done a nice job with marketing for events. If there are other worthwhile series/events out there I am all ears.

As for geographical area, I actually live IN the city of Philadelphia and have access to a HUB airport. I also use to play puck in college and am not afraid of a long drive.

Checking around the forums should yield more results for non WTC options. After enough volunteering and racing WTC events, I'm not inclined to do many more. I really enjoyed the REV3 events I did in the past, but they aren't so common anymore. I haven't raced east of Ohio, so can't really comment on the east cost scene.

LifeTri wrote:
Notes take on Racine...if the race is so bad why did they so many pros racing it this past year?

Good question. Prize purse? I suppose I don't pay too much attention to what 'pros' do. They aren't choosing events (or approaching them financially) like us mortals. Racine is a nice area, but the bike course is a deal breaker. I would pick Steelhead and Muncie over Racine if you do come our way. The Muncie logistics aren't as easy though since you'll likely end up staying 30+ minutes away. Steelhead has a nice beach, fast bike course and a tough run. I live a little south of the new Madison, WI 70.3 and the several people I know that were there did not have nice things to say about the bike course. Then again it's plain hard fitting that many people on a bike course anywhere. Madison is a great town though.

Maybe since my only chance is on the bike, I weigh that too much in my decision making? Let us know what you end up doing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toughman in NY is a great well run race and not easy.

I've done a bunch of the Rev3 Olympics which have all been very well run and not easy. I assume the 70.3 are the same especially since its the same "team" putting them on.

Heard nothing but good things about Mussleman in upstate NY.

Probably should be careful at Syracuse. Seems there are issues with tires being deflated......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Here are my picks:

• Puerto Rico 70.3 | 03/18 - I'm originally from here, know the venue and think it would be a great experience (as long as you don't get shot)
  • St. George 70.3 | 05/18 - I have done it 3 times and it is one of my favorite venues. I love St. George. Beautiful, quaint, clean, and the course is challenging.
  • Syracuse 70.3 | 06/18 - I have family in the area so lodging would be cheap.
  • Wilmington 70.3 | 10/18 - I would love to try out that fast ocean swim with the current
  • Los Cabos 70.3 | 11/18 - Beautiful vacation spot

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

• Syracuse 70.3 | 06/18
  • Steelhead 70.3 | 08/18
  • Augusta 70.3 | 09/18
  • Los Cabos 70.3 | 11/18
  • Cartegana 70.3 | 12/18

Steelhead was an awesome race !!! Not sure if 2016 was an anomaly or what, but it wasn't wetsuit legal for the first time. Not a big deal really. The bike was super fast & the run did have 3 hills but it is not overly hard.

Augusta & Wilmington for the normally fast swims, although, again, Augusta was not wetsuit legal in 2016 & Wilmington didn't have the raging current that it is known for. Downtown Wilmington is a nice area.

Although I haven't done them, I'd take Racine & Syracuse off the list. Racine for the aforementioned road conditions & Syracuse for the brutal run course (due to absolutely zero shade).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do Musselman or Savageman before I did any of the ones on your list. They are great races with fantastic support and cost far less than a WTC race. They are also in nice locations.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am definitely interested in the Musselman, it looks really nice.

Only one I have done so far is IM NC 70.3 (last year) I heard the normal bike course is much better, but it was a nice race. I will probably do it again this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only come up with 3 from that list:

Puerto Rico 70.3 - I've done it twice; great race and venue. Lots to see.
St George 70.3 - Never been, but looks tough and would like to see the national parks again.
Augusta 70.3 - Did it years ago and am repeating this year. Most popular 70.3 in North America if not the world.

Too dangerous: Los Cabos and Cartegena. New DOS warnings on both. Not worth the risk.
Too boring: Everything else on your list.

If I had to add two more it would be Haugesund 70.3 Norway and/or the new one in Finland.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muncie Muncie Muncie. Best 70.3 nobody brags about. I lget a kick out of it when people get a boner over Racine & ignore how piss poor the roads are. Muncie's entire bike course was repaved prior to last year, except for 3-4 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Muncie's entire bike course was repaved prior to last year, except for 3-4 miles.

So, the entire bike course was not repaved.........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Muncie Muncie Muncie. Best 70.3 nobody brags about. I lget a kick out of it when people get a boner over Racine & ignore how piss poor the roads are. Muncie's entire bike course was repaved prior to last year, except for 3-4 miles.

I've done Muncie twice; in 2012 when they shortened it due to extreme heat and in 2013 when it went up some miserable farm road with some of the worst surface conditions I've ever had the misfortune to race on. There was nothing at all to brag about compared to so many others I've done, but I had a son living in Dayton at the time and that race was close enough to leverage the visit with a race. He's moving back later this summer, but next time I go for a twofer visit I think I'll try the Delaware 70.3 (Columbus). But it's good to know that Muncie roads are in good condition now.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detail everyone. I do have a couple of questions.

1. The wife wants to go to Orlando for her birthday in April and she wants to be able to do a triathlon while we are down there (yes she does them too). Any suggestions?
  2. We went to Iceland last year and FELL IN LOVE with the people and the landscape. Has anyone done the Iceland triathlon? http://www.challenge-family.com/challenge-iceland/

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hijack.

For 2018, I want to pick the following:

Wildflower
Auburn
St George
June Lake
...can't decide...

Biggest problem? Early season gets packed.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Muncie's entire bike course was repaved prior to last year, except for 3-4 miles.

So, the entire bike course was not repaved.........

Thanks for pointing out exactly what I typed. Your reading comprehension is phenomenal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely consider adding Mont Tremblant to your list. It is the most amazing venue. Take Syracuse off if you have family coming to the race. Terrible for families while their athlete races, unless they've changed things in the past 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

1. The wife wants to go to Orlando for her birthday in April and she wants to be able to do a triathlon while we are down there (yes she does them too). Any suggestions?
  2. We went to Iceland last year and FELL IN LOVE with the people and the landscape. Has anyone done the Iceland triathlon? http://www.challenge-family.com/challenge-iceland/

Thanks in advance.

There's the Ironman 70.3 in Haines City. That's about 20 minutes from Disney and about 10-15 minutes from a rental house I own... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

• Syracuse 70.3 | 06/18
  • Steelhead 70.3 | 08/18
  • Augusta 70.3 | 09/18
  • Los Cabos 70.3 | 11/18
  • Cartegana 70.3 | 12/18

No opinion of the above BUT I just hit enter for inaugural Finland70.3 (June 2018).
A 4pm race start ! WHats NOT to like about that!! (Think Its close to FULL though..)
Last edited by: shady: Jun 22, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Pick 5: 70.3 races... [Stephensjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stephensjer wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Thanks in advance.

There's the Ironman 70.3 in Haines City. That's about 20 minutes from Disney and about 10-15 minutes from a rental house I own... :)

Sheesh, that sounds convenient. I don't think she will be 70.3 ready at that point, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ignore your list & chose a Taupo...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply

Prev Next