Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pesky Noises
Quote | Reply
It may be a squeak or a creak or something in between; it may come from the front end or the rear end; from the frameset or the groupset, from your bike or (hopefully) from your buddy´s. Maybe it comes for a quick visit, maybe it likes your bike and settles. It may be here, there, or, in worst cases, seemingly everywhere around the bike. It may come from inside or outside (the bike and the biker);

Regardless, it’s almost impossible to keep one’s sanity while pedaling once one of these pesky noises turns itself on.

And while a few of us may be more tolerant and just keep on riding along, in hopes that at any moment they’ll simply disappear (and, truth be told, usually they don’t), the average cyclist will do everything within his / her power to get rid of them once and for all. But in general (#s 8 and 10 below notwithstanding) to do that, first we have to at least have a clue as to what might be causing them.

The list below (more or less randomly organized in order of peskiness) includes some potential sources of bike-related audio misery that have crossed my path. Hope it helps those seeking for a clue as to where their own noise-related problems originate, and inspires others to add their own contributions.

# 1) Headsest (poor lubrication, overtightening, loose screws);

# 2) Bottom Bracket (poor lubrication, broken spacers, overtightening, Press Fititis….);

# 3) Brakes (poor adjustment, bad pads, bad rims, bad pads + bad rims – in which case “noise” should be the least of one’s concerns);

# 4) Spokes (rubbing together due to improper build or lack of proper tension);

# 5) Accessories (from poorly installed cage holders or aerodrink systems to co2 cartridges banging on inflators inside saddle bag, with many, many options in between);

# 6) Seat Post (flex, poor frame fit);

# 7) Saddle (bad rails, bad overall quality);

# 8) Cycling Buddy (the kind who goes on forever bragging about his incredible results, his new bike, his cool apparel, his off-the-chart FTP, yadda yadda yadda);

# 9) One’s own mind replaying, with echo, one’s spouse’s last words before the ride (“ I thought you were going to help me with the kids…ids…ids…ids” ….or…… “Hold it right there, is that another new bike….ike…ike…ike....????” ).

# 10) Cycling Buddy (the kind who has burritos, GU and a protein shake before the morning ride and doesn’t care about / can’t prevent from sharing the aftermath of the ensuing intestinal apocalypse with the rest of the peloton.
Last edited by: AIL6867: Nov 7, 17 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: Pesky Noises [AIL6867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me think about how this past winter I brought my bike into the shop to get a weird ticking noise checked out, when it repeated his comment was "You can hear that on the trainer", I have the TV running too. I felt silly finding out that it was just the speed/cadence sensor making its almost silent tick when the speed sensor picked up the magnet. Ears are too good apparently.

Have a friend who has a squeaky saddle, that can get annoying. Funny thing is it only does it sometimes, and there is nothing that can be found wrong with the seat.

Only sound I can think you missed is shoes. Mine click sometimes due to the other pedal mount option that I have not removed, and I have friend who his heal taps the chainstay sometimes and it causes a squeak.
Quote Reply
Re: Pesky Noises [AIL6867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedals - worn bearings, or not tightened enough to the cranks

Thru Axle - my Focus R.A.T. axles, when loose, produce a ticking sound that you are positive is a dead bottom bracket.
Quote Reply