Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peroneal tendinosis
Quote | Reply
   My wife seems to have developed a case of this. Any advice out there for recovery? She has been going to PT for 1.5 months and it really doesn't seem to be getting any better. We are both signed up for IMLP this year. She hasn't run in 2 months now but has a pretty decent base. At what point should she pull out if she hasn't begun running again. I was injured last year coming into the season and only started running again after four months off two months before Placid. I prob had a better base than she does now though. Just looking for advice. I'd hate for her to have the same feeling I had when I had to pull out of Louisville a couple years back.
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal tendinosis [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
My wife seems to have developed a case of this. Any advice out there for recovery? She has been going to PT for 1.5 months and it really doesn't seem to be getting any better. We are both signed up for IMLP this year. She hasn't run in 2 months now but has a pretty decent base. At what point should she pull out if she hasn't begun running again. I was injured last year coming into the season and only started running again after four months off two months before Placid. I prob had a better base than she does now though. Just looking for advice. I'd hate for her to have the same feeling I had when I had to pull out of Louisville a couple years back.

For the more stubborn tendinopathy you need to start loading it even though it hurts. The key in peroneal tendinopathy is to load the peroneus in full plantar flexion, since the problems are usually caused by compression at the lateral malleolus. One good exercise that I gave a client that had a VERY stubborn and painful case was to first do a few reps of isometrics (stand on the first MTP joint) for as long as possible (this usually reduces pain A LOT for a short while) and then squeeze a ball between the ankles, in full plantar flexion. Each max effort squeeze of the ball was one rep. This sort of loading is pretty easy on the tendons. I also gave very low ROM (start at full plantar flexion, drop a few cm's) seated calf raises, with emphasis on "standing on the first MTP". In a few weeks pain improved dramatically.

Good luck.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal tendinosis [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How goes your wife's recovery? I also came down with Peroneal Tendinosis a couple of weeks ago. At least that's what I think I got; sore, swelling on the outside of my ankle. I cut back on my running but didn't stop running and think that helped. I also think walking on your toes helps, calf raises and lots of heel drops helped. It isn't a 100% but I did run 20 miles last night. Maybe my case wasn't as bad but I'm planning on racing Lake Placid.
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal tendinosis [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been going good for her. She has been running for a few weeks and has worked her mileage up to 10. We are racing Syracuse 70.3 this weekend so we will see how it goes.
She has been going for massage every other week and it seems to be helping more than PT. The therapist says her calf is knotted up.
Quote Reply