Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Perfpro vs Trainerroad
Quote | Reply
I've been a very happy user and promoter of Trainerroad for three years of winter basement training. A second and possibly third rider will be joining me in my basement, both using smart trainers. I like the Studio aspects of the PP software and the related subscription savings we would have in the long run using PP.
Can anyone shed some light on what it would be like to make the switch. I see that PP has the workout libaries available (created by outisde parties) and I assume those are free to use. How does the FTP testing work and does the PP software scale the workouts with the resulted FTP number?
Thanks, Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Perfpro vs Trainerroad [Tri-Mot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PerfPro has a fairly steep learning curve at at first. I think a lot of people hit that brick wall of difficulty in using the software and give up. But for a multi-user setup, it is definitely the way to go. There is a ridiculous number of options that you can adjust for each rider and each trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just recently bought the smart trainer ... and tested both..
for me choice was perf pro:
- easier workout creator
- ability to do mixed workouts - where i mix wats, %ftp and gradient
- gps rides

cons:
- a bit of a learning curve
- local licence - ie all your data are stuck to one computer/ its not even easy to share between two licences one has
Quote Reply
Re: Perfpro vs Trainerroad [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
i just recently bought the smart trainer ... and tested both..
for me choice was perf pro:
- easier workout creator
- ability to do mixed workouts - where i mix wats, %ftp and gradient
- gps rides

cons:
- a bit of a learning curve
- local licence - ie all your data are stuck to one computer/ its not even easy to share between two licences one has

Use Dropbox to share data. Easy.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Perfpro vs Trainerroad [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so just specify as default drive dropbox - sounds a good idea

assume it wd work both for performance files and the training sessions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in similar boat as you, used Trainerroad.com for 2 years, it was easy to follow predefined training: Mon,. Tues, Wed etc.

This year I bought PerfPro Studio and will never go back to Trainerroad.com
I recreated some trainerroad workouts in my PerfPro editor, additionally I have ability to ride courses from my last year races, simulate real life climbs, any courses form Strava etc. What i like the best is I can easily switch from ERG to gradient mode and monitor minutes in each zone life as I go. PerfPro looks overwhelming at first, but it is the best software on the market. Trainer road is closed system, you have to use them or you are not training. PerfPro you can generate/create .mrc or .erg files and share with any platform you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used TrainerRoad for 2 years. The service is spotless, but there is not reason not to do a one time purchase and get Perfpro (which I did) if you are ANT+ and on Windows PC.

FTP testing works the exact same way as TR. You do a workout (FTP test) and in the result page, you just select "calculate FTP based on this workout", and then you can choose to apply it to your profile or not. Then your workouts are based on that FTP, and it is profile based, so if you have two riders with different FTP doing a workout at the same time, their workout will each reflect their own FTP (and scale from there).

You have a 14 days trial. I'd suggest doing that, take the first day or two to explore all options and then do a few rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Perfpro vs Trainerroad [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a TR customer for the last few years. I decided to try PerfPro 3 days ago and I was blown away by all the features this program has. I'm only on my trial period and will be buying the program. If you're a numbers geek like most people on ST are Perfpro is perfect. The big seller for me was how easy it was to create a workout. Creating a workout on TR was very difficult, clunky, and time consuming.

I had a quick question on data screens today so I contacted the Drew, the programmer. He responded within the hour which was very impressive.

I only wish I would have stumbled upon this program earlier.
Quote Reply
Re: Perfpro vs Trainerroad [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:
I've been a TR customer for the last few years. I decided to try PerfPro 3 days ago and I was blown away by all the features this program has. I'm only on my trial period and will be buying the program. If you're a numbers geek like most people on ST are Perfpro is perfect. The big seller for me was how easy it was to create a workout. Creating a workout on TR was very difficult, clunky, and time consuming.

I had a quick question on data screens today so I contacted the Drew, the programmer. He responded within the hour which was very impressive.

I only wish I would have stumbled upon this program earlier.

Yup... +1.

Went from TR to PP after they were the first to have the KICKR controlled by an external PM. Downloaded trial and then never looked back.
Quote Reply
Re: Perfpro vs Trainerroad [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually i started to have problems with perfpro and my neo after i updated the latter to the new firmware ... still would like to sort it out
Quote Reply
Re: Perfpro vs Trainerroad [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juist send Drew aan email and he will look into it.
Quote Reply