Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Performance Improvement with Better Cycling Gear
Quote | Reply
I'm new to triathlon and currently training on a cyclocross bike. It's about 21 pounds, perhaps slightly too large and without clipless pedals (or toe clips) or aerobars. I can currently ride 40k on a moderately hilly course at 21.5 mph. I have $2000 to spend to maximize my bike performance: What do I buy, where can I find the best cost, and how much faster can I get?

P.S. Don't forget the obvious: a new bike - I don't want people telling me to spend all my money on aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Performance Improvement with Better Cycling Gear [runner2913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on how 'new' you are, and how long you think you're likely to spend in the sport I wouldn't necessarily spend that much. You can gain quite a bit of time for not a lot of money by replacing the tyres and tubes, adding some aero bars, and buying a pair of clipless pedals and cycling shoes. That'll probably make you around 90% of the time gains. If you still like tri in a years time and you invest in a tri bike the only money you'll have wasted was the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Performance Improvement with Better Cycling Gear [runner2913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give you the somewhat unhelpful answer of buy a bike that fits. It is really key to get a good fitting bike, but without having ridden a tri bike, you don't really know how they are supposed to fit. So the proper thing to do is go to a good bike fitter. Be prepared to spend a few hundred.

Next you should get a used bike to maximize your dollars. You might be able to get a good deal on a 1-2 year old new bike that a bike shop hasn't been able to offload. The classifieds on this website are a good place to start. You might be able to find something like a Cervelo P2 or Felt B14 for $1500 or less. Spend the rest on pedals (maybe an extra set for your cross bike), shoes and a wheel cover for the rear.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5660661#5660661

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5658078#5658078

You will go about 1-2 mph faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buying used is really the best bang for your buck. I live in Canada, so our dollar is worth less, and dollars might go farther for you.

I am riding a used Giant Trinity Alliance, at this point it's about 7 years old, but it fits me well. Ran me $750 Canadian with no wheels.

I was able to find a pair of used aero wheels for $600 with aluminum braking surface which I was more comfortable with.

Aero helmet I got half price, it was a special order nobody picked up at a niche store, $125. Every once in a while I've seen aero helmets go as cheap as $50 especially beginning or end of tri season when people are selling off their gear being done, or getting new stuff.

Clipless pedals and shoes, I prefer to go new on shoes, got pedals for $100 and shoes for just a little more.

I built up a rear disc cover myself, cause shipping to Canada sucked, but Wheelbuilder disc cover is awesome, and you could possibly go without a deep dish rear if you like as well with it, though I like having the versatility of being able to remove it and still having a decent race wheel with good hubs on it. These run $100 plus shipping, I used $25 in material.

That leaves 2-300 for a good bike fit. Also, wear tight clothes if you're not, and keep the rest of the frame PRETTY clean.

I definitely saw a little over a 2 mph gain when riding my road bike versus tri bike with my tt setup on at roughly the same perceived effort and heart-rate. No power meter though.
Quote Reply