Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad?
Quote | Reply
Any disadvantages to PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad besides ease-of-use and limited platform (windows only)?

fwiw, TrainerRoad probably does what I want, but I really detest subscriptions for software, so I'm planning to go for PerfPro to pair with a Vortex Smart, unless there are serious problems with the package...

btw, are PP workouts and training schedules free after paying for a software license or additional charge?
Last edited by: kfmfe04: Sep 2, 15 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [kfmfe04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
Any disadvantages to PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad besides ease-of-use and limited platform (windows only)?

fwiw, TrainerRoad probably does what I want, but I really detest subscriptions for software, so I'm planning to go for PerfPro to pair with a Vortex Smart, unless there are serious problems with the package...

btw, are PP workouts and training schedules free after paying for a software license or additional charge?

PerfPro is da Bomb
Mine was purchased a couple of years ago as I to prefer too own the program rather than subscribe, and then if need be, if I'm offline, then the system still works. In this time, PerfPro have upgraded me every time there is an upgrade, no charges... lots of upgrades over this time
It works perfectly with my 14 year old computrainer and I'm almost always using it with Sufferfest videos, as I just select the most appropriate Sufferfest to what my coach or program requires....

perfect set up.
would do it again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love PerfPro.

Some of my friends love TrainerRoad.

PerfPro has a 14 day trial; you can cancel TrainerRoad any time you like.

Your best bet is to try both. But my suggestion is that you put in the time to really study both offerings. During your two week trial with PerfPro, really set aside time to try out all the features and such.

I can say you'll be happy either way. I'm like the poster above: I am not particularly fond of subscription based software, but that's not the only reason I got it (I really like PerfPro's features. I thought at first it was too complicated (and it is complex and powerful!) and I was intimidated by it, but once you get into the swing of things, it's quite easy to use).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:

I haven't tried Golden Cheetah train mode yet, but allegedly it's supposed to have training by power like both of those.

I have Perfpro, and it works fine. I'm not a huge fan - I don't like the interface and I prefer Trainerroad's system, but that subscription fee is a nogo for me even though it's a measly $10.

Maximumtrainer has a free one, but I don't think it supports Kickr yet
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying out both is a great idea - will definitely do with PP, but TT makes you pay first and then ask for a refund? Yuk!

I guess I will try PP first and if it doesn't seem to do what I need, then I'll pay for a month of TT and then see if it's worth it...
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GC looked promising to me, too, but its GUI looks even more complicated than PP! But since it's open-source, GC is definitely worth a try.

fwiw, TT is now $12/mo or $99/yr - yet another strike against subscriptions...
Last edited by: kfmfe04: Sep 2, 15 20:34
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Free upgrades for the past 2 years? That's great to hear! It's a sign that the developer really stands behind his work.

I also like PP's 3-user license for $99.95 - if other members of the family want to train, I won't have to add additional licenses.

If I understand correctly, we can actually spin at the same time and PP will display all our power in real-time - very nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
kfmfe04 wrote:

I haven't tried Golden Cheetah train mode yet, but allegedly it's supposed to have training by power like both of those.

I have Perfpro, and it works fine. I'm not a huge fan - I don't like the interface and I prefer Trainerroad's system, but that subscription fee is a nogo for me even though it's a measly $10.

Maximumtrainer has a free one, but I don't think it supports Kickr yet

Just curious about the Maximumtrainer ... I see the free version lists a 15-min workout... Is this correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm like you and don't like subscriptions. I do use TR though. Rather than a monthly subscription I bought the annual plan so I didn't have it hitting the bank account each month. Seems to be a good compromise for me. I may give PP a try someday though.
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently I use TR and love it, but I will immediately adopt whichever launches on Android first !! Considering Virtual Training from Cyclops, but haven't made the leap yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been trying to figure out for years now why it is that PerfPro is not accepted as the hands down, absolutely best cycling training program out there. It offers all the simple stuff that is included in your average training program, plus a ton of more specialized functionality, all packed in there tight under the hood. It has been well maintained, improved, and supported for several years now, just in my experience, at least four years. The updates are frequent and the only times I needed support were because the computer I was using broke and I had to remove it from my license. The response is always very quick. That has been the case for several years now. And all I did was to pay 100 bucks years ago! I have been trying all the newer stuff like TR, Virtual Training, Ziwft, and nothing else makes the cut. They feel like sucking on a candy without unwrapping it. Looks like they would do it. You are convinced they will. But then, you just never get that same good old training consistency juice out of them. Did PP get a bad review in the past or something like that?
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [ROUTEGEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROUTEGEN wrote:
I have been trying to figure out for years now why it is that PerfPro is not accepted as the hands down, absolutely best cycling training program out there. It offers all the simple stuff that is included in your average training program, plus a ton of more specialized functionality, all packed in there tight under the hood. It has been well maintained, improved, and supported for several years now, just in my experience, at least four years. The updates are frequent and the only times I needed support were because the computer I was using broke and I had to remove it from my license. The response is always very quick. That has been the case for several years now. And all I did was to pay 100 bucks years ago! I have been trying all the newer stuff like TR, Virtual Training, Ziwft, and nothing else makes the cut. They feel like sucking on a candy without unwrapping it. Looks like they would do it. You are convinced they will. But then, you just never get that same good old training consistency juice out of them. Did PP get a bad review in the past or something like that?

lmfao!

I highly suspect the difference is, the additional marketing spent by the non-PP programs is given them additional exposure - just for example, look at how slick the the TR site looks! Most non-PP programs have teams of full-time people who need to get paid via the subscription revenue model. Also, initially, I thought PP was only for CompuTrainer. Perhaps initially, that was true, but now, PP looks like it interfaces with trainers just as well as any other program out there. But once again, due to lack of marketing, consumers might get confused.

If I understand correctly, PP was written by one exceptional programmer-triathlete enthusiast who is happy to share his work with others, given a nominal one-time fee. In other words, he wrote the program for himself - he eats his own dogfood. I suspect that he may even have a full-time job other than PP and he just does triathlons and PP development on the side. PP looks old-school, but the great kind of old-school. Also, unlike GC whose GUI looks like a mess, you can tell from the screenshots that some careful thought went into the PP's design.

Anyhow, that's just my conjecture...
Last edited by: kfmfe04: Sep 3, 15 3:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy thing is I have both and use both. I was about to discontinue my subscription to TR a couple weeks ago, but went ahead and renewed for another year.

The way I train is by my own created intervals rather than what is available for download and I don't follow one of TR's training programs. I typical create my own workouts and must say that PerfPro is super simple to create a specific workout. Simple in a sense that you can quickly enter numbers into a chart type format, whereas, with TR it takes me more time to drag and insert segments in a graphical format and then get it published. I've had some frustrations of getting a workout published for various reasons.

It took me about 3 workouts before I got all the settings like I wanted in PerfPro and in both programs I use power meter control to control the resistance in ERG on a Kickr. Once I found and got the settings toggled PerfPro is fairly fast to get a workout started. TrainerRoad has a very nice layout and I prefer the display on my laptop compared to PerfPro. I also like the fact that I can use my iPad for TR, whereas, with PerfPro I cannot. There are rare times when I use my phone or tablet using TR. The settings in TR are super simple and detecting sensors like power meters, HR straps are very easy.

Perception of use for both is too similar to compare. Meaning when using power meter control for an ERG workout they both react very similar with TR feeling a little bit better in that it seems go into an interval and finish an interval just a little smoother, but this is so minor that I wouldn't call it a factor.

Uploading post training data is about the same for me on both though they are different. TR automatically sends my data up to TR and then to Strava, but from there I have to download from Strava to put it into WKO. PerfPro is about the same frame of time post training, but after the workout I manually send my data up to Strava with a selection and there is also a Saveas button that I save out a TCX file that I open and save into WKO. The process is different, but the time it takes is about the same for both. Of course the process will be different depending on what you use post ride analysis and/or uploads.

Both TR and PP seem to be good at continually looking for ways to improve their applications. I am looking forward to see what TR will be releasing soon as Nate has stated a big change coming in the PC version.

IMO - both programs are nice, but like others have said paying a one time price compared to a subscription puts PP slightly at the top if on a tight budget or being budget minded in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience with PerfPro over the last 5 years has been that it is a well designed, very powerful, well supported product. Key points most of which have already been pointed out:
1)One time fee of $99 (vs. monthly subscriptions for others)
2)Supports upto 99 trainers at a time (good for group training environments)
3)Regular updates and Drew is very receptive to integrating new features into the software. If you have a new useful feature in mind he likely will have the ability to add it into the software
4)User display and interface is very customizeable
5)Workout creation interface is very easy to use
6)Post workout analysis software is included and very powerful, but more than most users will need

I think that PerfPro is a very powerful program and for many first time users the number of options can be a bit overwhelming.

PerfPro would benefit from more marketing: updated website and advertising. Despite this the core product is exceptional, well supported, and more cost effective than other products like Trainer Road. With a 14day free trial I am surprised it isn't the most popular indoor training interface in use.
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [ROUTEGEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROUTEGEN wrote:

I simply don't like the interface, and I don't use the vast majority of the extra features. The 'ride the course' feature is totally useless for me (power surges are nothing like reality), and the TR online community and web upload is a big plus for me to look at my activities across multiple devices. That said, it is an high quality program, I just prefer Trainerroad more (even though I use PP now since I don't like the TR subscription even more!)

TR's workout choices are also a lot bigger, not that PP doens't have a lot, but it's way cool to say "5000 people have done this workout" - gives you more motivation on TR to suffer when you see how many folks have hammered that workout that just killed you.
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 3, 15 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
ROUTEGEN wrote:

I simply don't like the interface, and I don't use the vast majority of the extra features. The 'ride the course' feature is totally useless for me (power surges are nothing like reality), and the TR online community and web upload is a big plus for me to look at my activities across multiple devices. That said, it is an high quality program, I just prefer Trainerroad more (even though I use PP now since I don't like the TR subscription even more!)

TR's workout choices are also a lot bigger, not that PP doens't have a lot, but it's way cool to say "5000 people have done this workout" - gives you more motivation on TR to suffer when you see how many folks have hammered that workout that just killed you.

On the contrary, I didn't like the TrainerRoad interface...there was NO customization when I subscribed for the full duration of 2014.

This year, I bought PerfPro for a few reasons:
1. One time fee was the biggest consideration.
2. I had seen evidence that Drew actively updated the program and offered support. As others have said, he does actively provide updates.
3. Multi-trainer option - I don't currently ride with anyone but wanted the option there in case down the road I have more room to invite teammates over. I technically could now but it'd be crammed and my schedule varies.
4. The interface is customizable. I found from the trial that I could change the layout of everything and also set up a custom rider display. Honestly, I love this.
5. also found from the trial...MANY more features than TrainerRoad.

I probably could think of some more ideas if I sat and thought for longer. I can see if some people only ride indoors for the winter months than maybe it's worth it to them to keep the subscription model. I ride indoors during the work week year round though due to my schedule, so for me the one-time fee has already paid itself off.
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The multirider option is probably the biggest reason to use Perfpro over TR if you are using it. If not, then, no so important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a relative mewcomer to PerfPRO Studio and Analyzer and I've been delighted with the product. A little time needs to be spent with it initially if one is to get the best out of it but it's time very well spent and I don't envisage using anything other than PerfPRO and ErgVideo for a long long time.

I have no interest in getting hooked into subscription services by badges, awards, pseudo-kit etc. etc, as I don't find that kind of gimmick motivates me. If you just want a really solid and reliable training platform then PerfPRO does the business.

I recently set up a "Mini Studio" for my own training and to have a few mates around and my wife and I use it most days, it's going to transform my winter training. We run a mixture of PerfPRO and ErgVideo sessions on two CompuTrainers and a VELOtron and the multiuser options in PerfPRO make it the perfect setup. To ride with others using Trainer Road you all have to have subscriptions which would be just useless for my purposes.

Another big deal with PerfPRO for those looking to the future is it's ability to display live muscle oxygen saturation data, it interfaces seamlessly with the Moxy Ant+ Monitor.

If you fancy a look around my training setup here you go:

Chapeau PerfPRO!
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any interest / rumour / plan to add BT connections in Perfpro? Or any workaround?

I've been using TR for a while, and so is my wife, but 2x yearly subscription vs 100$ flat is kinda moving me towards Perfpro (and I've been trying it for the last week, I really like what I'm seeing).

However, while all my gear is ANT+, all of my wife gear is BT...
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may try to contact the developer directly with that question (let him know that you are interested in transitioning from TR):

drew at perfprostudio.com

Let us know what you find out.
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [QFieldBoden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QFieldBoden wrote:
We run a mixture of PerfPRO and ErgVideo sessions on two CompuTrainers and a VELOtron and the multiuser options in PerfPRO make it the perfect setup. To ride with others using Trainer Road you all have to have subscriptions which would be just useless for my purposes.

Chapeau PerfPRO!

Does PerfPRO now fully support the Velotron?
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been riding PerfPRO Studio almost from the beginning. Drew has incorporated several of our suggestions (most notably the ability to play Youtube playlists (1st change) and then not have the screen resize when videos changed (2nd change) for our multiple projector setup. Drew is a guy you can ask questions of, get a quick response, and he's open to suggestions, ideas, and comments. I have nothing against TR, but if you ever want to use more than one trainer, PerfPRO Studio is hands-down the winner.
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two trainers?

as in multiple users per account?

or you guys use two trainers?

i was going to give my gf my fluid 2 trainer as i just upgraded to a Tacx vortex.
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a small studio in our basement where we run 6 CompuTrainers, but occasionally have athletes who bring their fluid trainers and train with us. If the athlete is using Ant+ devices, the software will display it right along with the CompuTrainers. Opens up a lot of possibilities. More HERE
Quote Reply
Re: PerfPro Studio vs TrainerRoad? [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
two trainers?

as in multiple users per account?

or you guys use two trainers?

i was going to give my gf my fluid 2 trainer as i just upgraded to a Tacx vortex.

PerfPro lets you handle multiple trainers OR multiple riders, OR a combination of both. You buy the program as a one time fee and it supports multiple users (3 user max at base level price, ability to purchase additional initially or upgrade later).

From there then you set up a user profile for each athlete. Athletes can have their power meters, cadence meters, heart rate straps, etc, assigned to them. If you have a smart trainer you can assign a rider to that trainer. I'll be honest, I'm just on a two-bike, one trainer set-up for me (one athlete) so I don't have a full grasp of how all this works other than I know you can do it.

I too don't have anything against TR. I had a subscription with them for a year. The interface was clean and easy to understand. It was great to get me started, but I too loathe and abhor monthly fees. PerfPro is a bit more complicated to learn and get used to the interface but it seriously is well worth it. Drew has been great over the past year since I made the purchase and I have no reservations recommending his software. He gives a free trial and I suggest taking advantage of that to get used to the program and see if it meets your needs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next