Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Penticton Multisport Legend
Quote | Reply
After 2 years of effort and focus, the Penticton worlds is now 2 weeks behind me. What amazing memories! I met all the goals going into the race I had.
Completed 4 events in 9 days. Top 10 in all 4 events. One gold medal world championship. Sub 7 minute runs in shorter events. And finished off the 3/4 IM LC tri at the end with zero Long course training. (Not smart but ... ))

And to top it off, I was one of 19 folks out of 3600 who was awarded the huge belt bucket for doing at least 4 races in 9 days to be a the first ITU set of Multisport Legends.

And then my angel wife made me these great shadow boxes to hold the memories in forever.

Now just need to see if Denmark is going to have the Legend program or not.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job there dave, good to see that some of the over 60 crowd can still hold it together during a tough week of racing. You are motivation me to go out and start running again, maybe that will get these dam 15lbs that have hitched their wagon to mine to finally let go...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very cool dave! congrats! that s a busy 9 days for you!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
very cool dave! congrats! that s a busy 9 days for you!

Thanks. Wish we would have crossed paths. I believe I saw you a number of times on a paddle board having athletes doing drills as the wife and I were talking to the venue.

For me, it is so much fun to see if I can challenge myself with lots of racing. Too bad, IMO, so many focus on just a single race when most of us are not good enough to be on the podium. Using our fitness and putting it out on the race course is such a gift that most take it for granted. I sure know my days are numbered.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Nice job there dave, good to see that some of the over 60 crowd can still hold it together during a tough week of racing. You are motivation me to go out and start running again, maybe that will get these dam 15lbs that have hitched their wagon to mine to finally let go...(-;

Thanks, there are a few guys our age that still kick butt. A guy at DU nationals is 63 and he killed it there, and was killing it in Penticton. He got gold in the sprint, but cramped up at the end of the run in the std when he was in the lead. The pressure he had one himself to win both golds is something I am glad I am not good enough to worry about.

Another stud is John hill. 24 time kona racer at 60. killed it in penticton, podiums and legend. 5th at 70.3 wc, and will be in kona in a month. Total stud, and super nice guy.

These guys are the ones who give me some hope that maybe my run might last a little longer.

Yes, keeping the weight off is a battle I deal with all the time. I have yet to get back to race weight after Penticton, but I sure am keeping focus on it since the holidays, and disneyland, are coming up.

Hope we meet someday at a race and you can show me how it is done. :)

I sure feel that the ST 100/100 in Dec has really helped me. I have just about run 7 days a week since then, and continue. One things I am NOT going to do is STOP running!!! Way way too much risk of injury when one starts again, then it is all downhill. I have too many friends who are top athletes our age and they continue to get running injuries.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You go Man! That is very impressive!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

And then my angel wife made me these great shadow boxes to hold the memories in forever.
===============================================
amen to this. she is an angel. you married well. really well.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:

===============================================
amen to this. she is an angel. you married well. really well.
peggy

Yes, I am SO lucky!!!

Disneyland, here we come

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Clearly Denmark isn't worth going to unless they offer the Legend program!

It will be interesting to see if they do have it; partly because from a financial standpoint, the program was obviously unsuccessful for Penticton (and the cynic in me believes that was the principal purpose); and secondly, I wonder if that kind of thing even resonates in European culture. Belt buckles in particular, are more of a North American thing--most commonly associated with 100 mile ultra events. Maybe someone from Scandanavia will post whether that might be an attraction for European athletes. Denmark sent a contingent of organizers to learn from Penticton ... their report will probably be key on whether to include it or not.

Question for you: will you defend your Aquathlon title if they don't? You should!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work out there! I saw you out on the course during the LC tri, looked pretty strong for no LC training.

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You missed the final event at the Penticton high school track before the awards.
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [Mike200fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike200fly wrote:
Nice work out there! I saw you out on the course during the LC tri, looked pretty strong for no LC training.

Thanks. I did feel pretty good since I had just finished 3 races in red line mode and was going for the 3/4 IM with no long course training.
I have to admit it did catch up with me on the last mile or two in the run. I felt like I was walking, but I kept telling myself, just do not walk. Was shocked on how well I did compared to others with no long run training. I will take 7th :)

Something to be said about maybe training all year long, and racing a lot? And being lucky.

Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
You missed the final event at the Penticton high school track before the awards.

What was that?

Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Clearly Denmark isn't worth going to unless they offer the Legend program!

It will be interesting to see if they do have it; partly because from a financial standpoint, the program was obviously unsuccessful for Penticton (and the cynic in me believes that was the principal purpose); and secondly, I wonder if that kind of thing even resonates in European culture. Belt buckles in particular, are more of a North American thing--most commonly associated with 100 mile ultra events. Maybe someone from Scandanavia will post whether that might be an attraction for European athletes. Denmark sent a contingent of organizers to learn from Penticton ... their report will probably be key on whether to include it or not.

Question for you: will you defend your Aquathlon title if they don't? You should!

I hate airplanes. Penticton was only 3 hours. Flying to Denmark will be a LOT longer than that.

I did comment to the Denmark RD in Penticton that if they had no legend, not sure I would go. Even with it, not sure it is the best way to spent time and money. Will need to see what the wife, and family, wants to do. I have never missed a July 4th at my house in 30 years. Our community has a huge party at the lake all day long, ending with a huge fire works display right outside my backyard.

From the folks I have talked with, the Legend program was not more successful because they did not announce it, and the open waves, until way late. Initially you have to qualify and race 4 events, for us, as TeamUSA. Well, that is a 2 year process. And since most cannot meet this standard, they lowered to you only needing one qualified event and could do up to 3 open. I am proud I qualified for 4 but still hard work for others I know who also did opens.

So if they continue to drag their feet, many would not have a choice since folks are already making plans and reservations. Would be real hard not to go if I qualify for 4 again, which I think I will, and they offer the legend carrot again. Some folks are quarter horses, some, like me, are a work horse.

I got lucky that John Hill decided to do the cross tri, instead of the Aquathlon for his legend. Would have been a real close race since we are close on the swim and run. I sure would not go to Denmark just for the Aquathlon, just like I have no desire to spent the time and money to go to Texas for the Aquathlon Nationals and race for the National title. Nah, just a hobby. :) Let others race for the title, and trip to Denmark.

So, I forget, I think you are not doing Denmark?

Good job in Penticton by the way. That was one amazing race venue and organization.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have quite the tie to your neighborhood 4th of July celebration! Yeah, it would definitely be a long flight to Denmark but it is a great travel venue and I'm sure they will do as well or better than Penticton in hosting all the events. I've been to Copenhagen twice before which is why I'm passing in favor of Ironman Norway.

I've been all over the place on the 4th. This year on the 4th I was flying back to Tampa from the White Mtns in New Hampshire. Next year on the 4th, I'll be flying from Norway to Iceland to spend a few more days traveling around there. I attended 7th and 8th grade in Iceland and finally went back in 2016 for "spring" break.

Anyway, you have a decision to make in the coming months. I'll be interested to see what you do. Just remember, a few drinks on the plane and the flight will soon be over! :)

Edit - sp.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Sep 13, 17 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

What was that?

It involved drinking 4 beer and 4 laps of the track. Nathan Killam was the winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a similar event held at the same track 6days earlier, in the evening after the Standard Du awards...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

What was that?

It involved drinking 4 beer and 4 laps of the track. Nathan Killam was the winner.

Since I do not drink, ... :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

What was that?

Since I do not drink, ... :)

Not a legend then. LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
After 2 years of effort and focus, the Penticton worlds is now 2 weeks behind me. What amazing memories! I met all the goals going into the race I had.
Completed 4 events in 9 days. Top 10 in all 4 events. One gold medal world championship. Sub 7 minute runs in shorter events. And finished off the 3/4 IM LC tri at the end with zero Long course training. (Not smart but ... ))

And to top it off, I was one of 19 folks out of 3600 who was awarded the huge belt bucket for doing at least 4 races in 9 days to be a the first ITU set of Multisport Legends.

That is a huge achievement in all those events and banging out sub 7 miles in the shorter events! Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great meeting you Dave and so impressed by you completing, much less competing in 4 events in a week. You are one durable guy. I only raced long course, trained hard for it, and you spanked me badly on the run. I will also attest to John Hill's toughness and legend- he crashed on the cross-tri race- likely broke his hand (I am a hand surgeon by day), and also smoked me on the long course run.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

That is a huge achievement in all those events and banging out sub 7 miles in the shorter events! Well done!

Thanks Dev

Quote Reply
Re: Penticton Multisport Legend [shelgemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shelgemo wrote:
Great meeting you Dave and so impressed by you completing, much less competing in 4 events in a week. You are one durable guy. I only raced long course, trained hard for it, and you spanked me badly on the run. I will also attest to John Hill's toughness and legend- he crashed on the cross-tri race- likely broke his hand (I am a hand surgeon by day), and also smoked me on the long course run.

Steve

Great meeting you also.

Thanks, legend was 2 years in the making. Very seldom does one get to meet or exceed goals in a race, let alone 4 in 9 days. I was very blessed.

I was very surprised how well I did on the LC tri. I kept telling myself to slow down on the run. Am not used to not running full out in a race. But it sure caught up with me at the end.

John Hill is an amazing athlete, and super nice guy!! Never had meet someone who has been to Kona 24 times. And the stories he has about what really is going on with our sport with drugs is amazing. He told me about his crash on the mountain bike and he probably broke he hand. But it sure has not slowed him down. 5th at 70.3 worlds. He was not happy losing to Mr Drug man Moats by a minute. Hope it kicks butt at Kona.

So, are you going to Denmark?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not likely going to Denmark- but can't say def no.

Steve
Quote Reply