Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires?
Quote | Reply
Any idea what is going on with this? I live way down here in OR and the smoke is pretty bad, seems like Penticton it would be really bad, to the point cancellation would be on the table. I have heard nothing? Any locals who can speak to the air quality? Anyone heard any kind of confirmations that this event can go forward with the fires?
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope everything get's sorted out. Best wishes to the organizers (Mike Brown & Co) and everyone involved.

I was in Penticton for IMC in the early 2000's when the race nearly did not happen* because of forest fires. The issues then were more immediate - there was a large and significant fire burning out of control just to the north in Kelowna. There were other spot fires springing up else where in the South Okanagan.

The air quality was variable depending on the wind direction. If it was blowing down from Kelowna (North Wind) it was not good. If the wind was coming from the south it was clear and good.

The issues then were:

1. EMS, and other key resources and volunteers pulled away to deal with the Kelowna Fire.

2. The air quality and what it would be on race day.

3. The possibility of a spot fire springing up to the south, and potentially having to close roads and leave some or all of the 2500 triathletes stranded out on the course bike course with no way to get back to Penticton!

They made two changes - went to a two lap swim (I think) and a three lap run. The bike stayed the same and that was bit of a risk. The three lap run was to keep everyone in town and as close to medical help and the hospital as they could.

* On Friday of race week, it was still up in the air as to weather or not the race would go. A shift to a south wind, no thunder storms in the forecast for the following 48 hours, and pulling out all kinds or resources to get the right number of volunteers and other essential staff in place was the green light. Graham Fraser and his then Race Management Team (Many who still work for IRONMAN or are high profile RD's elsewhere now), literally worked non-stop around the clock for 3 days-plus to pull it off. It would have made for a fine Race Managment Documentary

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultraman ran with no issues specific to the fires last week - damn hot and a lot of smoke however they got it done! - currently their are no fires in the immediate vicinity plus with the forecast change in weather this weekend I expect things to go ahead as planned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wind direction is a huge factor. They are also calling for some rain next week in Penticton. The air quality has been fluctuating regularly... You can check the daily air quality rating on-line if you'd like. some days it has been fairly good (no worse than some place like toronto) and others it's been quite poor, from what we can see if the on-line reports...

I guess I'll see when I get there in less than a week...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little off topic and a bit early but related, my predictions are:

I'm taking Lionel on the men's side, and on the women's side, it's a toss up between Heather Wurtele and Melissa Hauschildt.

Assuming Lionel is in top form, I don't see anyone on the start list with the pedigree to beat him, but anything can happen on the day.

The women's race is a little more open without Holley Lawrence there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell that far in advance but hopefully it will rain soon and that will tame the fires and the smoke! As someone said ultraman ran, seawheeze is this weekend in vancouver (where it's ultra smoky) and I haven't heard anything about it being in trouble. Keep an eye out on weather.gc.ca for air quality advisory and pray for rain and a change in wind direction, not much else can be done so don't stress to much about it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way to tell until right before the event as anything can happen.
Do your training and don't worry about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An e-mail just went from the organizers indicating that all events are a go. It also provides a link to a site for tracking the air quality conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the 25th anniversary DVD they have a few minutes dedicated to the race of 2003. It was an epic day and it was that day my wife and I committed to moving here. It just took 10 years-:) the community that week was superb.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Exactly. And since it is many events over 10 days, even if one day is impacted it doesn't mean the others will be. These issues come up with so many races:

- Will the Tempe dam that burst be repaired in time to hold Ironman Arizona? It was.
- Will the oil washing up on shore from the BP spill cancel Ironman Florida? It did not.
- Will the algae in the river lead to a duathlon at Ironman Louisville. Nope.

And then there's Ironman Lake Tahoe. Overall, athletes tend to worry whenever conditions aren't perfect, and in most cases, they usually work out just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Exactly. And since it is many events over 10 days, even if one day is impacted it doesn't mean the others will be. These issues come up with so many races:

- Will the Tempe dam that burst be repaired in time to hold Ironman Arizona? It was.
- Will the oil washing up on shore from the BP spill cancel Ironman Florida? It did not.
- Will the algae in the river lead to a duathlon at Ironman Louisville. Nope.

And then there's Ironman Lake Tahoe. Overall, athletes tend to worry whenever conditions aren't perfect, and in most cases, they usually work out just fine.

Yep, IMLT 2014. I was there in the smoke when stopped. I heard from a great source they knew it was not going to happen before morning but did not want
the hotels, etc to take a hit. Meaning, they did not have race cones out the morning of the race, but, .....

Donner Tri has been canceled at least once if not twice from smoke fires.

And now the post coming from Penticton on the air quality is terrible.

I have trained, and raced in smoke, not good.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
In the 25th anniversary DVD they have a few minutes dedicated to the race of 2003. It was an epic day and it was that day my wife and I committed to moving here. It just took 10 years-:) the community that week was superb.

I was there too. I remember concerns about a power outage in town a couple of nights before the race. I don't remember a two-loop swim. I was certainly spoiled by the traditional out-and-back run course and wasn't too happy about the in-city loop, although I totally understood why they were doing it and was happy to be able to do the race.

Best wishes for everyone affected by the fires. I remember seeing the fire damage on the drive up from Washington. Being from the Midwest, I'd never seen such devastation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to let you know the winds have come up from the south and with a low pressure forming will blow the smoke out of the valley in the next day or 2. Also there are no fires within 150 km of Penticton.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time in 2 weeks i saw blue skies Saturday evening. Amazing how my mood changed!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of police on deployment to the fire zone as well.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

😀Blue skies are here again😜

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kirch wrote:

😀Blue skies are here again😜

Hope it lasts, I will be there Thurdsay

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news, flying in Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The smoke has rolled back into the valley this morning
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [thebarbarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but rather than starting another I thought I'd ask here if any locals know what the water temp is like?
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [jt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt3 wrote:
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but rather than starting another I thought I'd ask here if any locals know what the water temp is like?

I'm not local but here's the last two weeks of data from the government site.

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/...mp;y2Max=&y2Min=

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Aug 14, 17 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [thebarbarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebarbarian wrote:
The smoke has rolled back into the valley this morning

well that sucks
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [jt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the lake temp is in the 21-22 range at the moment. Gvt website is not very accurate as the lake dosnt varries much but there thermometer seems to be facing the sun and at variable deep daily!....

anyway, most likely wetsuit for everyone .....morning are cooler lately so lake is cooling off

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
the lake temp is in the 21-22 range at the moment. Gvt website is not very accurate as the lake dosnt varries much but there thermometer seems to be facing the sun and at variable deep daily!....

anyway, most likely wetsuit for everyone .....morning are cooler lately so lake is cooling off

yea

Quote Reply
Re: Penticton ITU Worlds and the fires? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the smoke is all gone, 1 out of 10 today for air quality issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next