Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pelvic tilt in aero position
Quote | Reply
Someone have a diagram of the appropriate pelvic tilt in aero? I have read people describing it, but I am having trouble visualizing it.
Last edited by: Triagain3: Jun 15, 17 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Pelvic tilt in aero position [TA3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:
Someone have a diagram of the appropriate pelvic tilt in aero? I have read people describing it, but I am having trouble visualizing it.
Wanted to bump this old post to see if anyone had any advice on this topic.

I’ve been riding my tri bike for a few weeks now and find that I can’t stay in aero for more than 45 minutes or so before I start getting some burning. I have a good bike fit, so trying to narrow down the issue to either my saddle (ISM PR 3.0) or potentially incorrect pelvic tilt / seating on the saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Pelvic tilt in aero position [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pictures would help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://bkbikefit.blogspot.com/...cycling-posture.html

Look at the image half way down the page above.

Also..

http://www.marktosques.com/...your-cycling-saddle/

Look at the side view of the pelvis image

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pelvic tilt in aero position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Pictures would help
This is a video I took of my position when I first got my tri bike:

I’ve since been focusing on relaxing my shoulders more and letting my head drop. But I don’t think that my position on the saddle has changed since this video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Eric Reid will chime in. Imo you need ALOT of hip rotation that may require a different saddle and you will get longer in the process.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jan 26, 18 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you look similar to me. I find I can kind of get the pelvis to rotate, kind of think of it as arching my lower back a bit and 'rolling' the butt back, but I have a hard time holding it, doesn't feel natural.
Quote Reply
Re: Pelvic tilt in aero position [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you tilt the saddle nose down a little bit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Hopefully Eric Reid will chime in. Imo you need ALOT of hip rotation that may require a different saddle and you will get longer in the process.
Thanks for the input! Do you mean I should be rotating my hips forward or backward? I feel like my current level of hip rotation is resulting in the pain - after 45 minutes or so, I feel burning in my perineal area, like I’m being pressed down too aggressively into the saddle, if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Yeah, you look similar to me. I find I can kind of get the pelvis to rotate, kind of think of it as arching my lower back a bit and 'rolling' the butt back, but I have a hard time holding it, doesn't feel natural.
I actually tried this last night and it seemed to take some of the pressure off. But agreed that it doesn’t feel natural and it felt like I was losing some power by making this adjustment. Maybe it’s just a matter of acclimitizing to the sensation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Thanks for the input! Do you mean I should be rotating my hips forward or backward? I feel like my current level of hip rotation is resulting in the pain - after 45 minutes or so, I feel burning in my perineal area, like I’m being pressed down too aggressively into the saddle, if that makes sense.

If that's the only issue you are having, pressure in the perineal area, then it may be easily solved with a different saddle.

You mention you are already using an ISM saddle. Maybe make sure you are sitting far enough forward on it, so that your sensitive areas are over the cutout. I think ISM has some guides on their site on how to properly position yourself on their saddles.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 26, 18 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It definitely takes some time. I'm trying to post a picture for you but my phone sucks. It may also take you stretching out first to force your hips to rotate. There is a period of time that you will have some discomfort until you find The right saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6389649

Look at post 70 and 71 Good rotation.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jan 26, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think you are sitting too rearward on that saddle. And the saddle may be a bit wide for you. ISM has a couple narrower saddles (PN 3.0)

You need around 4 weeks of riding on the new saddle to adjust for it. If you still have issues, then you need to swap the saddle.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pelvic tilt in aero position [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
http://bkbikefit.blogspot.com/...cycling-posture.html

Look at the image half way down the page above.

Also..

http://www.marktosques.com/...your-cycling-saddle/

Look at the side view of the pelvis image

This is beyond helpful! Thank you for posting this as I had similar questions and "la Gouch" has been bothering me on my Hilo
Last edited by: teddygram: Jan 26, 18 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6389649

Look at post 70 and 71 Good rotation.

Thanks for taking the time to find those pictures! I can tell that their position is different from mine (seems like they have a flatter back), but am having difficulty understanding what they're doing differently physically to produce that. Is it the same motion that SBRcanuck was describing (arching lower back a bit and rolling the butt back)? I think this may alleviate some of the current pressure that I'm currently experiencing.
Last edited by: JonathanNYC: Jan 26, 18 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
You mention you are already using an ISM saddle. Maybe make sure you are sitting far enough forward on it, so that your sensitive areas are over the cutout. I think ISM has some guides on their site on how to properly position yourself on their saddles.

stevej wrote:
I actually think you are sitting too rearward on that saddle. And the saddle may be a bit wide for you. ISM has a couple narrower saddles (PN 3.0)

You need around 4 weeks of riding on the new saddle to adjust for it. If you still have issues, then you need to swap the saddle.

Thanks, guys. Where I'm currently riding feels like the most comfortable position to me, but that doesn't mean it's the right position. I'll take a look at ISM's guides to see if I need to change my actual saddle positioning.

stevej - Why do you say that the saddle may be too wide for me? Can you tell from the video? I have looked at the PN series instead of my current PR, but I'm not sure how I can tell if I need the narrower saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may not be the best way to try to describe it but just follow me here if you can. Stand sideways to a mirror so that you can watch her hips rotate. Now standing perfectly upright with your knees locked without bending your hips try to just arch your lower back and touch your toes you don't get very far and your hips stay vertical and all you do is put a lot of strain on your lower back. Now repeat the same thing again keeping your knees locked but bend over to try and touch your toes like you were stretching your hamstrings but keeping your back perfectly locked straight causing you to be at a 90-degree angle when you're bent over or however far you can get note that flexibility is not the point of this exercise. Notice how much your hips rotate at this point if you're doing it right your hips are now parallel to the ground and have rotated to to help you touch your toes as opposed to the bend in your lower back. Now next time you're on your bike pedaling for a while sit up straight in the saddle so that you are vertical and are not using your bars to support your weight like you were riding hands-free now after a few seconds of that try to repeat this exercise so that your hips completely roll forward like you were just trying to stretch your hamstrings. I hope this makes sense it does to me however I might not be doing the greatest job communicating it.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jan 26, 18 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
This may not be the best way to try to describe it but just follow me here if you can. Stand sideways to a mirror so that you can watch her hips rotate. Now standing perfectly upright with your knees locked without bending your hips try to just arch your lower back and touch your toes you don't get very far and your hips stay vertical and all you do is put a lot of strain on your lower back. Now repeat the same thing again keeping your knees locked but bend over to try and touch your toes like you were stretching your hamstrings but keeping your back perfectly locked straight causing you to be at a 90-degree angle when you're bent over or however far you can get note that flexibility is not the point of this exercise. Notice how much your hips rotate at this point if you're doing it right your hips are now parallel to the ground and have rotated to to help you touch your toes as opposed to the band in your lower back. Now next time you're on your bike pedaling for a while sit up straight in the saddle so that you are vertical and they're not using your bars to support your weight like you were riding hands-free now after a few seconds of that try to repeat this exercise so that your hips completely roll forward like you were just trying to stretch your hamstrings. I hope this makes sense it does to me however I might not be doing the greatest job communicating it.
This is perfect and your description makes total sense to me. I'm going to give this a shot later this evening when I get on my bike and will report back with results. Thanks again for taking the time to explain this to me - much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I can’t tell from the video, it’s just a guess based off talking with friends and others who ride the wider ISM saddles. Most tell me they have some discomfort on their saddle and my first question I ask... does it feel too wide? They usually answer “yes” and their eyes get very wide as they were likely never able to describe the discomfort they had.

If you are getting chafing or saddle sores on your inner thighs, then your saddle is likely too wide for you. But this could also be fixed by you riding more forward on the saddle (on the nose). I do think you are riding to rearward on the saddle from the video (1 cm or so). Try moving it back 1 cm and see if you notice any difference. Mark the original location of the saddle so you know where your starting point is.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
No I can’t tell from the video, it’s just a guess based off talking with friends and others who ride the wider ISM saddles. Most tell me they have some discomfort on their saddle and my first question I ask... does it feel too wide? They usually answer “yes” and their eyes get very wide as they were likely never able to describe the discomfort they had.

If you are getting chafing or saddle sores on your inner thighs, then your saddle is likely too wide for you. But this could also be fixed by you riding more forward on the saddle (on the nose). I do think you are riding to rearward on the saddle from the video (1 cm or so). Try moving it back 1 cm and see if you notice any difference. Mark the original location of the saddle so you know where your starting point is.
Got it. Thank you. I'm not getting any chafing / saddle sores, but it does feel a little on the wide side. I will give this a shot tonight. To be clear (and this might be a silly question), but it sounds like the way to address this issue is to move my saddle back by 1cm rather than moving my body forward on the saddle, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
stevej wrote:

Got it. Thank you. I'm not getting any chafing / saddle sores, but it does feel a little on the wide side. I will give this a shot tonight. To be clear (and this might be a silly question), but it sounds like the way to address this issue is to move my saddle back by 1cm rather than moving my body forward on the saddle, right?

Correct but just make sure you are sitting more forward with respect to the saddle. You don’t want to sit on the same spot as you already were.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

as SteveJ has said, you're either sitting on your saddle wrong or your on the wrong saddle or both. There's no such thing as a good bike position but getting uncomfortable after 45 minutes.... that dog won't hunt. Do what Steve said and slide your saddle back, like 5cm, and try sitting on the nose with your pubis bones (not your sit bones) with your pelvis rotated forward. Your soft tissue should be off the front of the saddle.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For reference I'm on a Fizik Tritone and probably only use the front inch and a half to 2 inches if that of the saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as god intended...

Fishbum wrote:
For reference I'm on a Fizik Tritone and probably only use the front inch and a half to 2 inches if that of the saddle

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next