Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Peeing while racing (bike&run)
Quote | Reply
I can pee on the bike (but have to get out of aero and stand to get the flow going and can't get aero until I stop peeing)…..I can't pee while running. Need to get better at it on the bike and be able to go while running. The bike part I can see happening….but really can't fathom being able to go while running. Anyone has issues with this and been able to to conquer it? How did you do it? Yes, I just started a thread about peeing on myself. Yes, there are older threads on this….this is a new one.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is no point peeing on yourself in training. Just do it in the race - close your eyes and think warm happy thoughts

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
there is no point peeing on yourself in training. Just do it in the race - close your eyes and think warm happy thoughts

I am talking about racing….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. I tried to pee while on the bike for a 50 mile training ride I did this Sunday as practice. I couldn't for the life of me. I had did a search prior and no method worked...not sure it was anxiety, shrinkage, or what. What's the method you use for standing? One hand on the bar, one hand to pull it out (I assume you are a male), both shoes clipped in, one shoe clipped out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I peed off the bike for the first time ever at New Orleans last Sunday. It was great. Spent about 20 minutes thinking about it then just did it. Stood up out of arrow and pissed to the side. Only lost about 5-10. Better than pissing in your pants.

I would think on a run 10-20sec to stop and piss would be better than being uncomfortable with piss in your pants and it running down into your shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't whip it out…just pee in my shorts, shoes clipped in, rinse left shoe with some water to get the pee out of there. Just need to be able to stay aero and let it go….haven't perfected that. No idea how people do it when they run….I tried and couldn't. Where I am athletically, I can manage to stop and pee on the run for a full….but now the minutes are becoming more difficult to shave off in a half and would prefer to not have to stop (which I don't…I just need to piss badly during the last half of the run).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:
Ha. I tried to pee while on the bike for a 50 mile training ride I did this Sunday as practice. I couldn't for the life of me. I had did a search prior and no method worked...not sure it was anxiety, shrinkage, or what. What's the method you use for standing? One hand on the bar, one hand to pull it out (I assume you are a male), both shoes clipped in, one shoe clipped out?
It's not rocket science, just pissing. If you really need to just let it go anyway.

Makes me stand out, proved on bike and run ;-).

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know how are type A personalities are...We over analyze everything, spreadsheet this, and graph this knee angle and this and that, and me personally, even the method for peeing on a bike :)

NeverEnough, I will try your method of not whipping it out. Hopefully that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
robgray wrote:

I am talking about racing….

I pee all the time while training.

What the big deal. You used to piss yourself when you were a kid? Why is it all of a sudden wrong for an adult to piss themselves?

Just do it.
Last edited by: yorkcb7: Apr 16, 14 2:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:
You know how are type A personalities are...We over analyze everything, spreadsheet this, and graph this knee angle and this and that, and me personally, even the method for peeing on a bike :)

NeverEnough, I will try your method of not whipping it out. Hopefully that helps.

Just keep in mind to rinse your shoes right away after race. The pants don't bother you during the race.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the run, just stand still and start peeing. Once it starts, begin jogging slowly enough to not stop it. Then speed up.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

I disagree. It should be practiced in training, every day. If you don't practice it, how will you be able to do it when necessary in a race.

The same goes for shiiting yourself in a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does it mean you are over hydrated if you have to pee? i have done HIMs and marathons without having to do either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done the same thing on the bike - make sure I am way ahead of anyone behind me, stand-up, coast, and go while standing up (I don't whip it out - I prefer to avoid criminal charges). It takes some time to get started, but the real problem is I never have that DONE feeling. I also grab a water bottle at the station before I go and immediately wash myself down - less about the clothes and more about washing everything off the shoes and bike components.

I am not sure I have a desire to do it on the run - seems like a porta-potty stop is pretty quick - you just duck in (without having to get on/off a bike).

My training partner (and I am sure many others here) can go while swimming - if I could do this toward the end of the swim I could probably make it through the bike. I can go just before I get in, but midway through the bike I am hurting. In Galveston I went immediately before the swim, but conceded 2 porta-potty stops on the bike - I think it may be mental at this point, but at the same time, I always have plenty of volume to offer, so maybe not - plus it is not a problem in hot races.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
micaza75 wrote:
does it mean you are over hydrated if you have to pee? i have done HIMs and marathons without having to do either.

I also have done numerous races without having to pee. (That doesn't count peeing in the wetsuit before the swim.)

I've also had diarrhea during a bike race once. I didn't shit myself, but I pulled out of the race and DNF'd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
micaza75 wrote:

I also have done numerous races without having to pee. (That doesn't count peeing in the wetsuit before the swim.)

I've also had diarrhea during a bike race once. I didn't shit myself, but I pulled out of the race and DNF'd.

Ah, Did Not Fart - rather, Shit himself.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
micaza75 wrote:

Ah, Did Not Fart - rather, Shit himself.

Haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like most things, practice on the indoor trainer first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fine, pee on yourself if you have to to be competitive in your field for a top placing/win. But seriously, if you are one of those age groupers that bikes at 20 mph, then just stop on the side of the road and piss. 2 minutes tops. And unless you are doing an ironman length race, do you really need to pee at all on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to Pastis in NYC. there you will see the uber-urinal.

then, just picture it on the run. pavlovian. easy. ahhhhhhh

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In case you need a laugh;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...corn/evacuation.html
Last edited by: monty: Apr 15, 14 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Fine, pee on yourself if you have to to be competitive in your field for a top placing/win. But seriously, if you are one of those age groupers that bikes at 20 mph, then just stop on the side of the road and piss. 2 minutes tops. And unless you are doing an ironman length race, do you really need to pee at all on the bike?

I guess that depends on your goals. For me, if I want to hit a certain split/pace, regardless of what place it puts me in (and that is my goal ), and I can tell its going to be close I would do it.

Everyone's goals and bladder are different - if someone wants or needs to do it, it's their thing.
Last edited by: cldtx: Apr 15, 14 15:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNF.... Dare not fart ??????
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing while racing (bike&run) [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:

I don't know about triathlon, but I have seen permitting issues raised in bike races after cyclists have peed on the side of the road.

Even though it all ends up in the same place, at least most of it, for some reason entities that issue permits sometimes have a problem with a cyclist pulling over to urinate. I suspect it may be because peeing on the bike is less conspicuous.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Apr 15, 14 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Perhaps there is a market for a company like tampax to make a product for bike short chamois?

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply

Prev Next