Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedals
Quote | Reply
I have a question or survey about what pedals you have on your bikes.

I just got a new bike (and shoes) that will be my high-mileage training bike. Instead of using the Speedplays that I have on my race and race/training bikes, I was thinking about getting something like the "Lance" pedals for it.

For those of you with multiple bikes, do you have the same pedals on each bike, or do you have different ones (e.g. one w/ Speedplay and one w/ Look)?

I guess another question is whether you race and train in your triathlon shoes, or use them for racing only.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Pedals [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race and train on the same bike with the same pedals (speedplay) and shoes unless I am riding in crappy weather or on my trainer where I use my old bike which has Look pedals so I use my old bike shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"For those of you with multiple bikes"

Speedplay X-2's on both bikes, and Frogs on the MTB.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Egg beaters all bikes. Touring shoos for training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two bikes, same pedals, two sets of shoes I rotate. I've found my TR-7's need to be worn weekly or they tend to get a bit too tight for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time Pedals - all bikes

Time Shoes - rotate 4 pair (one new, one rain had to drill a few holes in the sole for drainage, one every day, one for when the other every day pair is stinky from the day before).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so I'm very particular with my setup. How do you guys get all your shoes to have the same cleat "setting"... I mean THE SAME and not out by a few degrees. Any tips welcome...

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three bikes, two pair of shoes, & all with Speedplay pedals.

postmanpat,

I just eyeballed my settings. If they are off by a bit it's not something I notice or that bothers me.

It's ALL about the bike!
Last edited by: asd99: Dec 13, 03 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Lance' pedals on both bikes, Dura Ace on the TT, Ultegra on the road (cant tell the difference)

Excellent choice, go for it

- g
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Look pedals on the road bike, and I just went with the "Lance" DA pedals on the new tri bike. I'm very impressed with them and plan to switch out the road bike to the Ultegra flavor soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X1's on the tri bike and the road bike

X3's on the old road bike

2 road shoes(one old pair for the rain and trainer, one pair for training)

1 pair tri shoes - I only use them for racing and race simulations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it simple.Can't tell you how many times I had the wrong shoes and couldn't ride.Settle on one system
Cullen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look pedals on Tri and Road bikes. One pair of shoes because I only have one pair shimmed. My other shoes feel weird without the shims in them.
jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use speedplay on my P2K. My Bianchi road bike has Ultegra (Lance) Pedals. I like this setup just fine. I will probably go to Ultegra on both bikes. I started out using Speedplay, tried look, just because, and did not really like it. Tried the Ultegra and they are great. I do not see any problem with two different setups, just replace one pair of pedals at a time. Also that way, if you don't like the new stuff you can stick with the old.

Oh, why did I ever try something different. Speedplay never really gave me any problem and I like the float. Just on the really long rides I like the bigger platform.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are happy with speedplay, I vote for keeping them on all bikes. I switched to lance pedals this year due to a foot problem. The shimanos are nice and so are speedplay. The double sided entry is nice, but the shimano pedals are easy to get used to. If you use speedplay on a high mileage bike I would also vote for not getting the X3's as I had to get bearings done twice in my pair with not a ton of miles.

I also vote for road shoes instead of tri shoes for training and racing. I use Sidi and adjustments are easy to make on the bike and the extra support is worth is to me. I had Sidi T1s in the past (back when they were only 1 velcroe strip and always hated the way they felt in the heel, the loose feeling. Can't beat the Genius IV's (I think). I think the T1s have two straps now so might be better . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently purchased a 3rd bike. Up until now I have been riding Look A3.1s on my tri-bike and Look PP396s on my road bike. I am now in somewhat of a dilemma now that I have a 3rd bike, a QR Tiphoon, that needs pedals. I have had absolutely no problem performance wise with Look. The only problem I have is when I occasionally miss clicking in which usually occurs at a busy intersection I'm crossing which doesn't have a light. Seems like when you miss on that only opportunity it makes it extremely difficult to recover and regain the little momentum that you once had. I don't know if I should consider another pedal system or not. As far as shoes go, I have road shoes for everyday training and tri-specific shoes (Carnac TRS 7) for racing.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one pair of shoes for road riding. I use the same pedals on my track bike, road bike and tri bike. Keywins, larger platform than look, lighter then speedplay and the float comes from the pedal spindle and not the cleat, so you always feel locked in. Check them out, everyone I have recommended them to loves them. Plus they are only $150 full-price for ti spindles, and they are easily rebuildable.

just a suggestion,

eddie
Quote Reply