Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal choice?
Quote | Reply
I may be getting too detailed with this question, but what is a good pedal choice for me?

I've been using a Nashbar brand pedal for the past 4 years and now I've noticed a little bit of play in 1 and think it's time to get a new pair all together.

I'm wanting something more mainstream like Shimano 105.

What other brand and model should I be looking at?

Thanks
Last edited by: finsfree: Jul 22, 14 18:09
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choice? [finsfree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedplay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With shimano 540's costing $10 more than just the cleats at several retailers, (Nashbar!) it's probably worth a try. Certainly a cheap introduction.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choice? [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look Keo Blade Aero 2's are the best pedals I've ever owned! Just put them on my new Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100 different answers for this one. I have used 105 for years without dramas. Just bought some ultegra carbon bastards coz they were out cheap. I don't expect any performance difference but all shimano pedals are good
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choice? [trekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trekker wrote:
Speedplay.

What he said (I've had Speedplay Zero for about 6 years)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 year user of speedplay who recently switched to Shimano Ultegra a year ago. Could not be happier with Shimano. I believed I needed (wanted?) the float which speedplay offers but find the minimal float of Shimano feels better. One key reason for the switch was that pedals/cleats are VERY expensive in NZ compared to shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a variety of pedals with varying level of success.

Shimano has been consistent. They aren't the lightest pedals in the world but are extremely reliable and durable, not too mention they have a solid contact patch.
I've also used carbon Time iClic's & Look pedals previously. Loved the Time's for most of the first season, they were extremely light and felt great out of the box. Eventually the carbon leaf spring seemed to loosen and the pedals didn't have adjustable pedal tension, and my cleat would release under heavy loads. I did try replacing them but had then same issue again, ended up crashing and solving the time pedal frustration.

From this point on, I don't think I would switch away from Shimano unless forced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the only choice is which speedplays to buy.

I changed from a lifetime of look/shimano to all speedplays in 2002. The minor knee pain I got after over cooking it never returned.

While building for an ironman in 2006 I switched back to shimano (I honestly have no idea why). Two weeks later knee pain came back. I then switched back to speedplays and knee pain disappeared once more and has not returned since.

My experience alone... Nothing conclusive.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Speedplay on TT bike for:

- reducing stack height
- real flexibility in terms of fitting. So many things to fiddle with, can fix knee issues, etc etc.
- looks pro

Keo on training bike because I don't care and they're cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look Keo
Shimano 105, Ultegra
Speedplay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for speedplay...

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used Time pedals for 4-5 yrs and loved them. Wrecked and broke one but went with Shimano 105 (because I'm cheap). Wish I had spent the extra to get the Time. Never tried Speedplay so no opinion there.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplay Zero Stainless Steel. Best pedals ever

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL's for the past few years. Very happy with them. I use the yellow cleats with 6deg of float. Usually have to replace the cleats about once a year due to wear.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choice? [TKO15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TKO15 wrote:
I've also used carbon Time iClic's & Look pedals previously. Loved the Time's for most of the first season, they were extremely light and felt great out of the box. Eventually the carbon leaf spring seemed to loosen and the pedals didn't have adjustable pedal tension, and my cleat would release under heavy loads.

Which series & after how many miles? I've been using the Xpresso 6 for a little over a year without issue. Before that was the iClic Racer, which was just a pathetic pedal, practically out of the box.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had Shimano Ultegras for nearly 10 years on my road bike and 6 years on my TT bike. Both sets looking battered as hell but still work perfectly and never had a problem.
Quote Reply