Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal Recommendations for Triathlon Newbie
Quote | Reply
New to road biking and triathlon ... I've been riding in running shoes on flat pedals (laugh it up). I was hoping for some feedback on why you use the pedals you use, as I'm looking to make the switch to clips of some sort. My riding, though currently on a road bike, is all for triathlon training, so the pedals will be used for triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations for Triathlon Newbie [slowboy83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it usually doesn't make any difference.
Look, Shimano, Speedplay all work fine.

None of them are any faster than another. Some people like/need the 'float' of speedplays (foot can rotate more)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowboy83 wrote:
New to road biking and triathlon ... I've been riding in running shoes on flat pedals (laugh it up). I was hoping for some feedback on why you use the pedals you use, as I'm looking to make the switch to clips of some sort. My riding, though currently on a road bike, is all for triathlon training, so the pedals will be used for triathlon.

If you are biomechanically neutral and don't have any strange fit issues, just about any pedal will work. If you have any asymettry, biomechanial or fit issues, or don't like conventional stance width, the speedplays offer the most adjustability and ability to tweak position. That is my only reason to switch to speedplay. I used to use Time and still can get by on them for back up bikes, but tried Look, Shimano and found that I was never really able to get my position quite right with their standard pedals. Of note, the new Dura Ace pedals come in longer pedal spindle as an option, so they would probably work if that was the only issue.

Here is my suggestion. During a ride, look at your feet on the pedals. Are they straight? Is your foot inboard or outboard on the pedal? Do your feet naturally want to be in the same place on the pedal or do you notice that one is farther forward, more angled, or farther in or outboard. If you are inboard or centered, relatively similar angle and placement, you are probably good to use any pedal. When in doubt, see if you have friends with old pedals just laying around and try them out and see if you like them. Most people think of pedals as an afterthought but they are really key as this is one of the three contact points and where all the power goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use speedplay pedals. Super easy to use, just step on them to lock in and entry works on both sides of the pedal. Plus, I like to have some float. Especially on my road bike with out of the saddle efforts.

Take a look at the light action pedals if your just starting out.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations for Triathlon Newbie [Raindown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x 2 on the speedplay light action pedals, they are a great beginner pedal. I rode them for 4-5 years until I started having issues with the bearing (yes I greased them regularly), then I switched to the zeros which seem to be more durable.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had so many issues getting the speedplay pedals to work for me... to much frustration. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get them to clip in. Apparently that's relatively common when you're a newbie (although I still have issues with them). I have Look Keo Easy pedals and love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you really need all the float in speedplays (most of us don't), my vote is Shimano SPD-SL's. Any of them, 105 to Dura Ace, doesn't matter. Smooth and bulletproof, the cleats have little pontoons on them so you can usually run on them in transition without gumming up the works, and the pontoons protect the cleat surface so they last longer.

I've had mine for at least 10 years without any maintenance necessary.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations for Triathlon Newbie [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Unless you really need all the float in speedplays (most of us don't), my vote is Shimano SPD-SL's. Any of them, 105 to Dura Ace, doesn't matter. Smooth and bulletproof, the cleats have little pontoons on them so you can usually run on them in transition without gumming up the works, and the pontoons protect the cleat surface so they last longer.

I've had mine for at least 10 years without any maintenance necessary.

x 2.

any of the Shimano pedals will do a great job for you, which ever one your budget will allow, but the 105 will perform exactly the same function as the far more expensive Dura Ace model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Exustar. I've owned Dura Ace, Look Keo Blades, and the Exustars are pretty much on par for a fraction of the price. Pedals are pedals, unless you've got some very specific bio mechanical needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what has been said above. Here 's a couple of additional points:

If you are in a place where you have to stop and unclip frequently, Speedplays or other two-sided pedals are a bit more convenient. I've been using the X-series for almost twenty years. I don't have any biomechanical issues, but I initially bought them because of the two-sided issue.

A couple of years ago, my son started riding, so I bought him some Zeros (I was told, mistakenly, that the X-series was going to be discontinued). He could not clip into them. It frustrated him to tears because he had used mountain bike pedals without any problem. I bought him some Light-Actions and they have worked very well for him. When I tried his Zeros, I did find them a lot harder to clip in than my X's. I guess there is a minimum amount of force you need to clip into the Zeros, and if you are too light (as my son was), it's really difficult.

He's been using the Light-Actions and has no complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplay, formerly on Look Keo. Both good pedals but Speedplay had a bit more fit flexibility. For a beginner that doesn't have any major biomechanical imbalances, I'd say go Look or Shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike came with speedplays, and they were great! However, I broke a pedal. A new set of SPD-SL pedals and cleats cost a third of speedplay pedals alone. So, it looks like I'll be riding on shimano for awhile!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a new bike rider and will be doing some triathlons next year. I've rode my older bike maybe 8 times about 5-15 miles each time. Three times with speed play zero pedals I now have. I think they are easy to clip in and out, but I weight 220. Much better than tennis shoes on regular recreational bike pedals. Unfortunately where I ride I must stop for traffic lights. I've fallen over twice, I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have and lost balance with one foot still clipped in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shimano=japanese and metal
look=french and plastic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Shimano SPD-SL for my personal usage. As others have said, unless you have some real need for float or otherwise, its like splitting hairs. One thing I don't like about them is that clipping into them isn't as easy as I used to have with my double sided SPDs.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations for Triathlon Newbie [rkling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said, Speedplay, Look, and Shimano are all fine. The Shimanos are a little easier to walk in due to wider tabs. The Speedplays can be slippery to walk in do to metal soles, but that's solved with covers. Speedplays also lack a tension adjustment. Their major drawback is getting the cleat properly installed on shoes with curved soles. The cleats need to be shimmed so that they are flat. When not flat and tightened too much, they bend a little. This puts pressure on the spring clip and makes them hare to clip in.

Disclosure: I've used Look, Speedplay, M2, and Time. I currently have Speedplays on my Shiv and Times (iClic and Xpresso) on my other bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations for Triathlon Newbie [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put shoe goop on my speedplay clips. It protects the cleat, keeps the screws from falling out, and makes it grip slick surfaces.
Shims came with my speedplay pedals and fit my shimano shoes perfectly. There was a guide included with the pedals showing which applications need which shims.
Quote Reply