Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition
Quote | Reply
Anyone else out there just disgusted by certain races requiring these pathetic clear plastic bags for transition ?

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup
started with NYC last year

it is so stupid and a false sense of security

the boston bombers WERE NOT RACING
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYC required this. It worked out okay with the tip to empty my typical transition bag contents into the clear bag, then stuff my bag in the clear bag. That way once I was IN the transition area, I could use my bag as normal and it was easier to leave with my bike & gear in my usual backpack style bag.

Getting there the clear bag was annoying to carry, but since I wasn't on a bike at the time it was fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cynthia
Blog: http://yousignedupforwhat.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/yousignedup FB: http://www.facebook.com/yousignedupforwhat IG: http://instagram.com/yousignedupforwhat
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [cynthiaruntri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't give in and let them justify this requirement like this... At this mornings race I had to park 1/2 mile away so I crammed all my stuff into the small swag bag they give you so I could carry it on my back and ride and then put it into the pathetic clear bag when I got to transition. Nothing but a bunch of BS. As the previous poster stated, the athletes aren't the ones I'd be worried about. Just one more way our society is giving in to fear because of a couple of nutjobs.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I'm just commenting on how I managed the required situation. It is truly sad though, the transition area does not seem like the place that is the issue. I live in DC though and we're pretty used to all this - many running races don't have a bag/gear check at all any more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cynthia
Blog: http://yousignedupforwhat.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/yousignedup FB: http://www.facebook.com/yousignedupforwhat IG: http://instagram.com/yousignedupforwhat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The threshold for disgust has gotten rather low in the internet age. Is it really that big of a deal?
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I normally fill my clear plastic T1 bags with a bunch of giant dildos, and I carefully place them all around my bike with as sign that says "you wanted to see, here you go."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giving up privacy for a false sense of security is disturbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
The threshold for disgust has gotten rather low in the internet age. Is it really that big of a deal?
It's not a big deal itself, but is part of a very big and dangerous pattern of "security"-related stupidity infecting our society.

We should fight it, or at at least express contempt for it, every step of the way.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
agree. Like many triathlon problems, this one is a first world problem...

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i actually could not figure out what the issue was with clear plastic bags at races. When you used the word pathetic, i thought you were talking about cheap bags that fall apart. issues of security were the farthest from my mind. it just would never occur to me that that would be a problem. but i don't live in america anymore. seems a bit unfortunate.
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for NYC Tri last year I pointed out to the RD that it was dangerous as we all have transition bags that are designed to allow us to ride bikes but now riders would be trying to balance a plastic bag and ride - more of an issue at end of race

so the response was: you can empty your transition bag and put it in the plastic bag with the contents so you can use it later (after you leave transition)

now how stupid and senseless is this whole pretense at security?

nyrr races now also require their clear plastic bag

and again, IT WAS NOT A RACER WHO BOMBED BOSTON!!!

spectators still have backpacks etc - they do not have clear plastic bags

It pisses me off because it is stupid, expensive and a waste of time and does NOTHING to improve security

I DO think the 'eyes in the sky' and increased patrolling of the finish areas does something but the nonsense imposed on racers is pathetic
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
for NYC Tri last year I pointed out to the RD that it was dangerous as we all have transition bags that are designed to allow us to ride bikes but now riders would be trying to balance a plastic bag and ride

Balance a plastic bag and ride at the same time? Oh the humanity! Seriously, were you never 9?

If people can't ride a bike holding a plastic bag, I really don't want them on the course with me.
Last edited by: chris948: Aug 24, 14 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
meuf wrote:
for NYC Tri last year I pointed out to the RD that it was dangerous as we all have transition bags that are designed to allow us to ride bikes but now riders would be trying to balance a plastic bag and ride

Balance a plastic bag and ride at the same time? Oh the humanity! Seriously, were you never 9?

If people can't ride a bike holding a plastic bag, I really don't want them on the course with me.

Sounds like you are retiring from triathlons.....

/pink.....kind of.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [SPL Tech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you mean giant strap-on dildos?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? Is it that big of a deal?

I've done 2 or 3 races that require them and it doesn't affect a thing. It actually reduces the crap I (and most people) bring into transition, which is a good thing.

If you consider bringing your own bag into transition a right, a race is essentially private property. You can be limited what you bring in.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HELL YES....lets show those race directors that its stupid, annoying, inconsiderate and selfish that they be concerned for our safety. Or anybodys safety for that matter.Those effin douche-bags!! they are violating my constitutional rights!!!

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
meuf wrote:

yeah have you been to a tri recently? not worried about my skills but as one of the physicians treating have seen enough without making the cycling challenged have a harder time
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
HELL YES....lets show those race directors that its stupid, annoying, inconsiderate and selfish that they be concerned for our safety. Or anybodys safety for that matter.Those effin douche-bags!! they are violating my constitutional rights!!!
He might think it's about our safety, but that's delusional. At best it's well-meant stupidity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:

They aren't concerned with our safety. They are concerned with the illusion of safety. Clear plastic bags do nothing to deter someone motivated enough to attack an event.
Quote Reply
Re: Pathetic Clear Plastic Bags for Transition [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So not a single race director cares about our safety? How did you come to this conclusion? This whole clear bag thing is a petty complaint and wreaks of over priveledged brattiness. Theres a General Public out there and the R.D. must think about them as well as you. If you are inconvenienced...then I suggest you try being a R.D. before you judge. Maybe there were other measures that were discussed but they just werent feasible or attainable.......maybe the local Police suggested the use of the bags because of secret intel? Police do get secret intel and try not to make it public at times. Its so easy to judge someone elses job until you actually have to do it.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I said came across wrong. I'm sure those RDs want nothing more than a fun safe race for everyone and in their hearts they really truly believe that this is helping. Unfortunately, feeling good about "doing something" doesn't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to actual counter-terrorism practices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
This whole clear bag thing is a petty complaint and wreaks of over priveledged brattiness.
I don't do running races or triathlons so haven't experienced the clear bag thing as an event participant, and it still greatly annoys me. It's a symbolic of post- 9/11/post-Boston bombing stupidity. "Security theater" is all around us and it's fxcked up.

It's like taking shoes off at the airport - bogus.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty bad ass. I rode my bike yesterday with TWO clear plastic bags down to transition. You my all bow at my greatness, I am thinking I should put it on YouTube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Thom wrote:
It's not a big deal itself, but is part of a very big and dangerous pattern of "security"-related stupidity infecting our society.

We should fight it, or at at least express contempt for it, every step of the way.

I was at a race as a spectator (right after Boston) and a police officer was doing random backpack checks. When they asked to see my backpack. They were kind of dicks about it (give me your backpack!). I said no thank you. They threatened to arrest me, which we all knew they couldn't do. Their supervisor who walked up understood and admitted he hated this policy and asked that I just humor him. I preferred that approach, so I let him. For some reason cops forget that respect is earned, not given just because of shiny badge.

I was also pulled over a month ago because the cop said I was texting (illegal in MI). I was changing the song on my iPhone. He demanded my phone. He and I both know he has no right to my phone, he just tried to intimidate me. Unfortunately for him, I don't see cops as authority figures. I see them as servants to society, since they are paid by the society. I certainly followed every single traffic law on the way home. lol.

The point is that I'm frustrated with how easily government has compromised our privacy under the false since of security.

Prev Next