Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Patella Avulsion
Quote | Reply
Was unlucky enough for this to happen to me last Monday... all bolted back together now and in a cast. Hopefully cast will be off next week and I'll be into a hinge brace. Anyone else had this injury and how long was it before you were back on a turbo and then cycling for real?
Quote Reply
Re: Patella Avulsion [Chinley Churner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chinley - might you provide us with a few more specifics? Avulsion refers to the pulling off of bone. Assume this is inferior pole of patella? Or more likely the patellar tendon as it inserts into the tibia. If you could provide some details, maybe we could offer details of our own.

Thanks,

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Patella Avulsion [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, inferior pole of the patella, taking a small fragment of the patella with it. Has been reattached and a tension wiring put in place. Currently in cast, now for 12 days. Being re-assessed on Thursday which will have been 15 days in cast.
Quote Reply
Re: Patella Avulsion [Chinley Churner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CC- as you might suspect, healing of these can be wildly different in different people. Young people heal more quickly than the old, fixation can be great, nearly great, so so, etc. So the person who knows what happened in the OR, and what you should expect, is your doc. I'd suggest you follow his/her protocol and you'll have the best result. This season, obviously, is history but 2016 should find you kicking butt!

Best of luck.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply